2018 Olympic Figure Skating Team Event Day 2 | Page 112 | Golden Skate

2018 Olympic Figure Skating Team Event Day 2

Olympic

On the Ice
I had trouble viewing the scores during the telecast. I did NOT realize that Bradie was 0.01 behind Satoko, and had the 2nd highest TES of the night behind Med! I saw that Satoko was given 2 URs and earned a GOE of -1.20. Seems like that should've been greater which would've put Bradie in 4th.

Rules are rules, and if under those rules what Osmond did is considered a combo, then she deserves her score. It seems to me that it wasn't a true combo and in a perfect world, should have been penalized more heavily, especially in the strict rules that are normally applied to SPs.

That said, I would flip Bradie and Satoko (but I found her skate charming), and kept Med's score below 80.

Hevari

Drivers start your engines!
On the Ice
Evgenia is not my favorite but every single casual viewer who had a chance to watch her with me was impressed by her. The most frequent sentiments expressed were that "she looks so light", "she's so natural" and "she's so into the music". Obviously there is something special about her.

My mom is FS lover since the times of Peggy Fleming. She watched Medvedeva's skate on GP events and her reaction was like "It's so bored..." and after that - Kaetlyn Osmond: "Such an artistic girl"...

Hevari

Drivers start your engines!
On the Ice
I had trouble viewing the scores during the telecast. I did NOT realize that Bradie was 0.01 behind Satoko, and had the 2nd highest TES of the night behind Med! I saw that Satoko was given 2 URs and earned a GOE of -1.20. Seems like that should've been greater which would've put Bradie in 4th.

Rules are rules, and if under those rules what Osmond did is considered a combo, then she deserves her score. It seems to me that it wasn't a true combo and in a perfect world, should have been penalized more heavily, especially in the strict rules that are normally applied to SPs.

That said, I would flip Bradie and Satoko (but I found her skate charming), and kept Med's score below 80.

That TP is so inconsistent... If what did Kaetlyn is considered a combo, so Satoko should have got a clean lutz call, for example... Of if you utilise strict pattern - so do it for every skater... Med's 2A is also seems to be UR'ed... (Shin Amano, you are missed very much :)))

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
The current system is understandable enough: you get points for all tech elements and you get points for presentation, most points wins.
I've been following other sports in the Olympics this week that I am unfamiliar with and in some of them like Moguls or Slopestyle there are also points awarded for this or that. The casual viewer doesn't know what is awarded for what exactly [this is where the commentator helps out] but you can immediately recognise a superior performance and can be content in knowing a great performance scored higher.

It's difficult enough to understand that I have problems understanding it and I read here and listen to several sets of commentary on each performance. Maybe I'm just stupid. Also I don't like the skating as much. I call it "mathmatical skating."

I have watched slopestyle, and while I don't pretend to understand all of the judging intricacies, I understand "if you fall, you're done." To the extent they won't always finish their run if there's a fall.

OS

Sedated by Modonium
Record Breaker
Just caught up with the ladies, busy weekend.

Frankly not surprised at the ridiculous scoring for Evegenia. Consider this panel of judges, where once again is heavily European favoured, no US, Japan, Korean Judges (although 1 in tech panel). The sport has become a gaming of GOEs and PCS more than what and how you actually did, so the makeup of the panel can really 'help' to determine the 'subtle and no subtle' biases. At least it is no longer 8/9 European judges majority like the past 5 years for the ladies. This time, they removed potential rival judges as well. ISU has been pushing for European champion since 2012, this is just a further agenda driven marking. The higher Kostner scores, the higher rest of Russian ladies can increase.

The non-European judges are from: Canada, China (non-factor), Israel (non-factor). Tech panel: Korea, Australia
European judges: Russia, Germany, Belgium, France, Latvia, Hungry. Techn panel: Ukraine. Refree: Switzerland

PCS ranking wise: I'd rank
1. Kostner (Amazing outing. Worthy of her brand. Well done)
2. Miyahara. (BBC was a bit shocked at the score)
3. Osmond (Probly has the best program, execution this time round not so much, otherwise I'd switch with Miyahara)
4. Medvedeva (Weak or little interpreting the music or care about it other movements for movement's sake. ridiculous miming and breathing big - 10. She is much better than Alina though and improving all the time. Her 'OAR' cheering squad was a public disgrace. Why are they screaming 'Zhenya Zhenya Zhenya' during Osmond's scoring? What a public embarrassment! Quite muted reaction from the BBC when her score is read out from Robin compares to the past. Fantastic performance, score not so fantastic.) That looks like a 70/71 skate to me, bear in mind many at the top should be lowered as well.
5. Choi (Terrific outing. Improving all the time in the presentation. Just need to work on speed.)
6. Tenniel (Very close to Choi, but I still find her a bit green, deserve great TES and PCS still need to work on. Honourable mention: She is the only one who bothered with a Korea program approach)

Some other thoughts:

Evegenia benefitted from Kolyada's massive failure. Judges want to ensure OAR still get ranked, ladies is their most secured event, so it prompt further motivation to reward scoring, or make biases justifiable.

I am a bit worried about Patrick and V/M. ISU tends to create a divide and conquer type of 'rewarding' system.
Patrick Chan will want to make up for the poor short skate, Virtue and Moir on the chase will want to prove themselves to be 'better' than France.

However if Canada wins the gold in teams, it would not help their individual medals.
The way it is looking:

France / Canada want the Dance
Russia want Ladies
China / Germany want Pairs
US / Japan want Men

ISU probably want to try to keep everyone happy. Minor federation, sorry you are just bridesmaids and guest in this 'pagentary ceremony'.

kevinVchicago

Record Breaker
What's going on with Satoko's 3z-3T? I wish she could fix that. Her score plummeted as a result. :( Glad the judges are hardcore about calling underrotations so far.

keasus

On the Ice
If I recall correctly, didn't Marina Anissina/Gwendal Peizerat issue a press release for their 2002 FD in SLC (the one that featured oratory by Martin Luther King)?

lavoix

Match Penalty
Why did Marchei/Hotarek get that 1 point deduction? Was it because Marchei screamed at the judges?

ramurphy2005

Unabashed Mainer
On the Ice
Country
United-States
Why did Marchei/Hotarek get that 1 point deduction? Was it because Marchei screamed at the judges?

It was a time violation.

It was either that they didn't start their program quickly enough or they finished it too late. I'm not sure which one it was, but skaters have 30 seconds to start their program once their name is called, and of course they can't go beyond the allotted time for their programs.

lavoix

Match Penalty
It was a time violation.

It was either that they didn't start their program quickly enough or they finished it too late. I'm not sure which one it was, but skaters have 30 seconds to start their program once their name is called, and of course they can't go beyond the allotted time for their programs.

How stupid...

Any videos from this competition?? I can't find anything anywhere. Where are people watching replays?

SnowWhite

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
It's difficult enough to understand that I have problems understanding it and I read here and listen to several sets of commentary on each performance. Maybe I'm just stupid. Also I don't like the skating as much. I call it "mathmatical skating."

I have watched slopestyle, and while I don't pretend to understand all of the judging intricacies, I understand "if you fall, you're done." To the extent they won't always finish their run if there's a fall.

My understanding is that that is at least partly because they won't have enough speed to get through the next jumps after the fall, not just because it won't score well. And they have multiple runs.

pearly

Record Breaker
How stupid...

Any videos from this competition?? I can't find anything anywhere. Where are people watching replays?

In our apps that have paid subscription. RockerSkating also posts videos, but they might also get removed. Check his Twitter.

GoddessMinerva

Rinkside
My mom is FS lover since the times of Peggy Fleming. She watched Medvedeva's skate on GP events and her reaction was like "It's so bored..." and after that - Kaetlyn Osmond: "Such an artistic girl"...

My mom has watched skating for decades and she loved Medvedeva, so everyone is different. She also thought Osmond was good though. She thought Miyahara was beautiful, but thought her weaker jumps were deserving of lower scores. I haven't got her opinion on the second day women's skaters.