2018 Olympic Figure Skating Team Event Day 2 | Page 111 | Golden Skate

2018 Olympic Figure Skating Team Event Day 2

skatefan17

On the Ice
As much as I like Evgenia and respect her and everything she has achieved and contributed to the figure skating world, I have to say that sometimes judges give her the GOEs and the record marks without following the rules. As an example - during the beautiful short program Evgenia delivered yesterday, her first spin - flying camel spin was NOT a +2/+3 spin, as it was not centered and she was traveling during its execution. So the one extra point received for this spin from the GOEs (that contributed to the record) was not deserved. Such spin performed by a less know skater would receive a 0/-1 GOEs. The IJS only pretends to be "fair", but the subjectivity is still obvious for anybody familiar with the sport.

This is what plagues the sport and in my opinion what causes the sport to lose fans. I may be done or taking a long hiatus after this Olympics based on the unfair judging already happening.

skatefan2018

Rinkside
This is what plagues the sport and in my opinion what causes the sport to lose fans. I may be done or taking a long hiatus after this Olympics based on the unfair judging already happening.

I do hope that the ladies event is judged fairly. Med is a good athlete, but she is not the best artist, and she's not even the best jumper.

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
I do hope that the ladies event is judged fairly. Med is a good athlete, but she is not the best artist, and she's not even the best jumper.

One does not win by being the best artist or being the best jumper (except in Mens where overwhelming BV can trump everything). Evgenia has the highest overall skill levels and good presentation and she wins deservedly.

skatefan2018

Rinkside
One does not win by being the best artist or being the best jumper (except in Mens where overwhelming BV can trump everything). Evgenia has the highest overall skill levels and good presentation and she wins deservedly.

I never said she did not deserve to win. She is a very good athlete and knows how to maximize her scores, but there's nothing particularly special about her.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
Evgenia was perfunctory very good, clean. I still think she coudl have more amplitude in everythign for her and that effects goe's andpcs.

Bradie was perfunctory in a solid way. But I do think like in the old 6.0 scale her skating not only because it is blander than Maria S but because she isn'tas good and she needs work (she has time ofcourse) on the pcs it is p ossible that like in the past what we called jumping beans would not be near the podium. It isn't just waiting her turn it is getting better. Because of the scoring system and only 5 competitors including the US it won't really matter if Mirai is weaker than Bradie and that is to be seen. I am impressed Bradie is stillso consistent and maybe the most consistent of any competitior. She will therefore get higer pcs as time goes. And she is looking good if Daleman and Osmond can't get it together.

There is something about Carolina. She is mature and elegant but sheis ar eal competitor AND a bit lucky. I mean she is good and wonderfuls skating skills but somehow she manages to find a way on to the podium. But because there is so many wonderful ladies I hope in the individual event that she won't podium. She has an oly medal and tehre are so many wonderful skaters - Satoko, Kaori,Mirai, Karen when on, Evgenia, Maria, Alina, Gabby and Kaetlyn allworthy of medals. Still this woman finds a way on the podium even with subpar peformances or errors on jumps. But it is like she has a magic wand at theolympics. She will get a medal.

Now the battle for bronze. Italy lost a key point in dance already when they should have been able to beat the Russians. How can Italy shock the US? 1. Carolina wins the long program and whoever skates for the US finishes last(5th) Not impossible but Carolina hasn't beaten the Russians this year.

Chan, Chen/ Rippon and or Kolyado bomb and Matteo stays close to Chen. Or even beats Rippon.

Dance the shibsibs orwhoever represents the US makes a mistake on the twizzle or something and CL beat the Americans - better yet if the Russians get sandwiched in between.

A combinaton of these could create a major upset.

Still saying this I am not so sure it is all that bad to have Mirai do the long program

So far Bradie has been the rock. Iknow the Knerims did well for them but they lost some of that spark or oomph when I thought they would be a top three or five world level team.

Duhamel and Radford - interersting - I am sensing or rather hoping they can tune a few things up in both the short and lp. They might win that bronze.

Evgenia - good foerher toskate andfeel the ice. Goodwarm up.

Kaetlyn - hopefully she can get the demons out - but even with the fight in the short - she has power and a certain flow and charisma onthe ice.

SAtoko - always pretty but in a rather perfunctory way - I think she can turn it up a notch.

Virtue and Moir - destined for silver. engrave that gold medal for P/C. It will take a miracle on ice; they needed at least onestand out program and they blew it. I do appreciate them taking ownership of their programs'careers but they made some poor choices and Marie - France couldn't save them nor the apparent French drive.

Shibsibs - solid bland.

B/S - why is it always a Russian dance team seems to get competitive at olys. There was a chance they could have been a distant fourth in dance.

C/L - hohum

The italians in pairs were nice and did very well and they beat really a third string Russian team. Russia's pairs are rather so so this year andworse without S/K.

The real drama because it would be a huge upset like of epic proportions (think another team getting gold or silver in women's hockey other than US or Canada)is if Italy can knock the USA off the podium. Will it happen I doubt it. If it does Nathan Chen will be kicking himself in his Vera Wang.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
I think figure skating needs to work on its judging because currently it's losing fans. I watched with just some casual olympic fans, and they all thought the scoring was absolutely ridiculous. To a casual watcher, it makes absolutely no sense that Bradie should be almost 15 points between Evgenia if you just look at the skating with fresh eyes and throw out reputation judging....

Reputation judging really hurts the sport and loses casual viewers. Evgenia was solid but that score is :disagree:

The thing is the more we whine here the more we hurt skating. For all that whining of 2002 SLC a new scoring system came out with new problems but at least everyone knew the 6.0 system and all. Now yet again they are changing the values of jumps. The pcs become distorted and hard to understand. ARe they truly marked individually. There is so l ittle room to mark the truly greats ahead of the very good or lower. We are still left up to judges and biases and interpretation by judges on GoE's pcs etc. The way of getting higher marks has curtailed beautiful skating because tanos,biellemans and awkwardspins garner more points or goes etc. Then we don't have the greatest personalities necessarily. Right now we are Asian centric where they have stars that sell but moreso in Asia. The most known skaters in the westernworld would be maybe Virtue and Moir but they are very limited because Canada is so tiny in population. Really you have the nice kids - shibsibs who have been around. Two other dance teams who keep flipping and thusu notthat well know. Nathan Chen whois a goodskater but blah personality wise. The most well known might be the flamboyant Adam Rippon who to some might be a sanitized or downplayed Johnny Weir. And for p air a very bland Knerim who do n't have the results and the much aligned and hated Duhamel and Radford. You notice I didn't even say anything about has been Patick Chan. The NA market doesn't have a lot -no Michelle Kwan or Sasha Cohen orOGM DAVis and White.

ChiquitaBanana

Rinkside
Just look at the GOE on Evgenia's first combination spin. Spin spun out all the way to Timbuktu and yet she gets 2s and 3s. Good god, the judges never cease to baffle me.:disapp:

ITA... It's frustrating we have a descriptive scoring system that doesn't show it...

kevinVchicago

Record Breaker
As I've said, Kostner could not skate Medvedeva's program, and I'm not talking about jump content. Whereas literally anyone could skate Kostner's program. Not counting step sequences.

This is exactly the difference! Glad somebody put it into words. It's why I like Kostner, but am not crazy about her anymore.

However, to be fair... not anyone could wear the sequin pickle jumpsuit.

Opening -> first jump -> second jump there's only one "bracket(starting on two foot)" and tons of completely empty two-foot skating. "If she has such good glide why does she need to perform so many crossovers all the time?" Even the connecting choctaws to the second jump, are they even there? She certainly doesn't stay on one foot for longer than a split-second. The thing is, because of her step sequence I know she can do this stuff properly so why doesn't she display this in between the elements? And that also is why I think skaters should need to -display- the skating skills instead of just taking a few laps around the rink and going "Well, my name is Carolina Kostner, I'll get high SS anyway". If her glide's so good why does she need to stay on 2 feet doing nothing for extended periods of time? If her basic skating is so good why does she need to crossover all the time?

I think she's immensely overrated but your mileage might vary. If you have skating skills, please display them.

I actually agree with this. That being said, I think she should've beat Med on PCS because what she does is of supreme quality, whereas Med looks laboured. Overall, Med still wins.

Tavi...

Record Breaker
I never said she did not deserve to win. She is a very good athlete and knows how to maximize her scores, but there's nothing particularly special about her.

Whether there’s something “special” about her or anyone else is a matter of taste, not an absolute fact like height or eye color.

evasorange

Final Flight
As much as I like Evgenia and respect her and everything she has achieved and contributed to the figure skating world, I have to say that sometimes judges give her the GOEs and the record marks without following the rules. As an example - during the beautiful short program Evgenia delivered yesterday, her first spin - flying camel spin was NOT a +2/+3 spin, as it was not centered and she was traveling during its execution. So the one extra point received for this spin from the GOEs (that contributed to the record) was not deserved. Such spin performed by a less know skater would receive a 0/-1 GOEs. The IJS only pretends to be "fair", but the subjectivity is still obvious for anybody familiar with the sport.

Didn't Ashley do that same mistake or similar on a spin at nationals and the head us fed guy said that's a big reason why she was left off the team? lol this sport

bobbob

Medalist
the +3 was an error by the Hungarian judge. It was thrown out. In the end it befitted Kaetlyn .10 points apparently.

The combo: Jackie Wong‏ @rockerskating

This is how the combo was counted - there was no weight transfer on the foot down in that combination - the call and the score were correct in this case http://bit.ly/2BRdVDN #PyeongChang2018 #Olympics #figureskating

I'm still befuddled by the combo. Isn't putting your foot down automatically weight transfer? It may not be very much weight, but the simple physics is that you can't put your foot down without having ANY weight transfer--the whole reason you put your foot down is because the weight is getting transferred over to that side. I've certainly seen better combos been deemed invalid.

ancientpeas

The Notorious SEW
Record Breaker
I'm still befuddled by the combo. Isn't putting your foot down automatically weight transfer? It may not be very much weight, but the simple physics is that you can't put your foot down without having ANY weight transfer--the whole reason you put your foot down is because the weight is getting transferred over to that side. I've certainly seen better combos been deemed invalid.

apparently it was just the toe pick.

I don't know if it's true or not. That's the justification the tech panel used to keep the combo in. I figure they understand all that stuff way better than I do.

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia

apparently it was just the toe pick.

I don't know if it's true or not. That's the justification the tech panel used to keep the combo in. I figure they understand all that stuff way better than I do.

By "weight transfer", they mean that you have to have a majority of your weight on it. Like when Hanyu biffed his combo in Helsinki SP. She didn't have a majority of her weight on it.

Though granted, I still wouldn't have given it, but I'm still salty that Mark wasn't given the flip at 4CC.

Rissa

Record Breaker

Evgenia is not my favorite but every single casual viewer who had a chance to watch her with me was impressed by her. The most frequent sentiments expressed were that "she looks so light", "she's so natural" and "she's so into the music". Obviously there is something special about her.

FSGMT

Record Breaker
This is exactly the difference! Glad somebody put it into words. It's why I like Kostner, but am not crazy about her anymore.

However, to be fair... not anyone could wear the sequin pickle jumpsuit.
I agree that Carolina should get lower TR scores, but then of course Evgenia should receive lower PE, CH and IN scores. Still very high ones, of course, but I wouldn't say any of them deserves any score higher than 9 in any field except maybe for Caro in IN and Evgenia in TR. Were we in 2010, their PCS would be something between 33 and 35