2019 Europeans: Men's SP | Page 2 | Golden Skate

2019 Europeans: Men's SP

Harriet

Record Breaker
Country
Australia
So happy to see Old Man Bychenko is back on form! And Kevin Aymoz was just fantastic, he's really developed across the course of this season and he was selling that SP like his life depended on it. Fingers crossed he can keep it up and challenge for a medal!

Also really happy to see Graham Newberry make it to the free; he's been building his way up slowly and these "small" rewards mean a lot by way of benchmarks. I kind of miss the way he used to skate like he was in a battle to the death with his own program and knew he was going to lose but was determined to take the thing down with him - but I like what he's bringing to the ice now too. :laugh:

Fernandez was, of course, absolutely lovely, even with a couple of bobbles. Wishing him a perfect free to go out on.

Alexz

Medalist
Country
United-States
Kolyada should got it tomorrow. Also I'm torn between Mikhail and Javi.

malya

On the Ice
I hope Javi stops caring about the tech panel/judging and enjoys his last FS.

I have a feeling after his rant a lot of his landings will be reviewed on saturday :D

DSQ

Record Breaker
Country
United-Kingdom
Also really happy to see Graham Newberry make it to the free; he's been building his way up slowly and these "small" rewards mean a lot by way of benchmarks. I kind of miss the way he used to skate like he was in a battle to the death with his own program and knew he was going to lose but was determined to take the thing down with him - but I like what he's bringing to the ice now too. :laugh:

That’s such a lovely way of putting it! Graham was really lucky to qualify so I hope he takes that luck and skates for his life tomorrow!

Overall I’m satisfied about the standings and couldn’t be happier for Kolyada, he really brought it, but heartbroken for Brezina. Come on!

mrrice

Record Breaker
I'm so happy for Mikhail. I love Javi but, I'd like to see Mikhail take the title.

Merjan

On the Ice
Some of the most enjoyable programs for me were those of Kevin, Matteo and Deniss. And Kevin jumped pretty well, too. I wish all the best for Javi in the FS. The Russians aren't that consistent, normally, so medals can go anywhere.

Clairecz

On the Ice
Country
Czech-Republic
I hope Javi stops caring about the tech panel/judging and enjoys his last FS.

I have a feeling after his rant a lot of his landings will be reviewed on saturday :D

Exactly! I'm so worried. They might either shower him with pcs as a reward or review his every jump.
And before the sp he said how he wanted to enjoy the competition...I hope his emotions calmed down a bit in the meantime and he shows his best in the free.

But I'm so worried about him that I don't even have the capacity to be sad over Michal and Maxim and to stress over Matyas 😉

viennaskater

Medalist
I am glad I watched this from the beginning because there were some surprises early on performance-wise, namely:

Aleksandr Selevko (EST)
Vladimir Litvintsev (AZE)
Matyas Belohradsky (CZE)

All great performances, confidently presented, with innovative/appropriate music choices from new faces!

A little later on there were:

Adam Siao Him Fa (FRA)
Daniel Grassl (ITA)
Daniel Samohin (ISR)

All absolutely superb!

As for Kevin Aymoz, I loved him last season and I am loving him now! I shouted and applauded! :clapper: What great choreography and power! Go France! All French skaters are SO interesting to watch!

Good to see Javi again, too. Magical to watch, as always.

On the down side, I was a little sad for Michal Brezina after his great Grand Prix.:eek:hwell:

Don't really know what Kovtun is doing there, should have picked Aliev instead.

Kolyada excellent but Mikhail, can't you raise a smile? It's not that hard. You used to do it a lot. He looks like he doesn't want to be there. I'm fed up seeing his miserable face.

One of the great things about watching figure skating is when you feel you are sharing the skater's happiness out there on the ice.:)

rachno2

Record Breaker
https://twitter.com/SkatingScores/status/1088489095750475776

Complaining about PCS is hopeless, but I have to laugh at the incompetency of this breakdown. I don't understand what the point is in having six separate categories if the only things the judges care about are the reputation of the skater and the overall cleanliness of the program. Why not make it a single category and call it a day?

Some of the more egregious sins:
-Aymoz 6th and 7th in all PCS categories
-Kolyada getting first in PE. I adore the man, but a big performer he is not. Fernandez and Aymoz should both be above him.
-Javier first in SS (should be Kolyada)
-The general shortchanging of smaller fed skaters in favor of Team Russia (yes, all of them). I know bigger feds get bigger scores, but it doesn't make it right.

This is nothing new, of course, but it always seems worse with the men, perhaps because there are many artistic skaters in the discipline, moreso than the ladies (imho). They all more or less delivered technically here as well, and Javi, Max and Sasha did not go clean.

-Kolyada getting first in PE. I absolutely adore this man, but a big performer he is not. Fernandez and Aymoz should both be above him.
Yep. I like his great basic skating and jumping, but in terms of presentation, I think he just kind of looks cold with that SP.

-Javier first in SS (should be Kolyada)

:laugh: I remember in worlds 2017 SP when he tripped over a backcrossover and still got 9+ in SS. He isn't even the only top man thought to have "good" SS who makes that mistake, but they get ridiculous SS components. Oh well.

So I watched Aymoz again... And people aren't overrating him even slightly? He is showing some hard choreographic skill that I should go into the CO component (and good balance and surity of edge in those moves for the SS component), but he doesn't particularly go beyond a good bit of general energy and somewhat sharp line when it comes to PE, and I don't think his IN in terms of involvement with the music is that great (he finished before the music, for instance...), nor do the elements do anything spectacular with the music.

rachno2

Record Breaker
So I watched Aymoz again... And people aren't overrating him even slightly? He is showing some hard choreographic skill that I should go into the CO component (and good balance and surity of edge in those moves for the SS component), but he doesn't particularly go beyond a good bit of general energy and somewhat sharp line when it comes to PE, and I don't think his IN in terms of involvement with the music is that great (he finished before the music, for instance...), nor do the elements do anything spectacular with the music.

But were there 5-6 skaters better than him? I don’t see that.

The PCS was inflated in general, but the distribution was inexplicable.

Bcash

Final Flight
I thought Javi's performance showed a lot of composure and attention to detail in the choreo. Experience with tours and shows probably helped. His was the most mature program. None of the men had perfect jumps yesterday. In terms of movement quality and commitment to performance, I really enjoyed Kolyada (though short, he's got great lines and body placement, Aymoz (energy, fun) and Samohin (Expressive, masculine skating. I've always thought he's the young skater to watch, despite his inconsistency and sometimes tacky music choices).