2020-21 U.S. Pairs Figure Skating | Page 29 | Golden Skate

2020-21 U.S. Pairs Figure Skating

BlissfulSynergy

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
When you look at the American Pair situation you can see the similarities as to levels with the Canadians now that Canada appears to have two teams.
Maybe you could clarify your meaning? Do you mean Canada now has 2 top competitive level teams? Both the U.S. and Canada have more than just two senior pairs teams. The U.S. currently still has more depth among senior pairs than does Canada. And Canada currently has better depth in Junior pairs than the U.S.

The difference now, of course, is that James/Radford are expected to be more competitive among the top echelon internationally than Walsh/Michaud, and possibly more than Moore-Towers/ Marinaro.

I think it's clear that the U.S. has three very competitive teams internationally, two of whom have top-notch elements capable of matching up with top teams in the world -- if Calalang/Johnson have shored up their jump weaknesses, and with Knierim/Frazier bringing to the ice more experience together and stronger confidence in their partnership.

The U.S. also has a strong up-and-coming team in Lu/Mitrofanov, who are fast improving and need competitive opportunities to continue their pace of improvement. Meanwhile, Cain-G/LeDuc are highly competitive at top of second tier at least, at their best with stronger belief in themselves and with programs that enhance their strengths.

Last edited:

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
If I remember correctly, she didn't mention a tryout or an opportunity for one in the interview. I guess it's all up in the air right now.
I was thinking about this again today and came up with Winter Deardorff, who has had the worst luck with partners...so that’s Winter, Kate, Tarah, Danny and Balacz...have any of them officially retired?

BlissfulSynergy

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
^^ Which Kate are you referencing? If you mean Cate Fleming, wasn't she paired with someone recently at the Irvine, CA rink?

labgoat

Done updating WJC rewatches!
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I want to remind US fans fretting about the growing pains with newly paired teams about how Olympic Champs Kazakova & Dmitriev looked shortly after teaming up.

1995 Skate America - note Dick Button's comments

I was there to see this skate live. It was both very bad and very promising at the same time.

Dreamer57

Record Breaker
I was thinking about this again today and came up with Winter Deardorff, who has had the worst luck with partners...so that’s Winter, Kate, Tarah, Danny and Balacz...have any of them officially retired?
I heard that Tarah and Balàzs were a couple off-ice so perhaps they might have teamed up, but nothing to confirm it.
There is also Mark Sadusky and Laiken Lockley who were looking for new partners. I think Mikhail Johnson is the only U.S. pair skaters to have retired this season so far.

^^ Which Kate are you referencing? If you mean Cate Fleming, wasn't she paired with someone recently at the Irvine, CA rink?
I thought the reference was to Kate Finster.
Yes Cate Fleming is now with Chase Finster (Kate's older brother). 🙂

ice coverage

Record Breaker
... Laiken Lockley who were looking for new partners. ...

Laiken apparently has a new partnership.
John Kerr recently choreographed programs for Lockley/Isbell and for Martins/Bedard.

...so that’s Winter, Kate, Tarah, Danny and Balacz...have any of them officially retired?

... I thought the reference was to Kate Finster. ...

I too believe that moonvine's reference to "Kate" was to Kate Finster.

Not surprisingly, Plazas/Fernandez have moved up to senior. Cooke/Bearinger too.
P/F recently competed their SP in Ann Arbor, where C/B competed their FS.

Speaking of Plazas/Fernandez, they are a frequent presence in the USFS "Dare To Pair" video series.
I haven't gone back to rewatch the whole series (ten parts), but among the coaches contributing instruction are Peterson and Evora, with P/F demonstrating.

Last edited:

BlissfulSynergy

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Laiken apparently has a new partnership.
John Kerr recently choreographed programs for Lockley/Isbell and for Martins/Bedard.

I too believe that moonvine's reference to "Kate" was to Kate Finster.

Not surprisingly, Plazas/Fernandez have moved up to senior. Cooke/Bearinger too.
P/F recently competed their SP in Ann Arbor, where C/B competed their FS.

Speaking of Plazas/Fernandez, they are a frequent presence in the USFS "Dare To Pair" video series.
I haven't gone back to rewatch the whole series (ten parts), but among the coaches contributing instruction are Peterson and Evora, with P/F demonstrating.
Thanks so much for all this interesting U.S. pairs news. Although I realize that pairs figure skating is beyond difficult, it is also beyond enjoyable to watch, at its best and most rewarding for athletes and fans. The best of pairs figure skating is my idea of sublime bliss. I guess it's the combination of athleticism, artistry and the coming together of two people in mind, body and spirit, like in the best ballet partnerships. What they do is so extremely difficult in ballet and in pairs skating, but at the highest level of sublime performance, their task is to make it look effortless.

Following the journeys of young athletes is a privilege, no matter how far they are able to go together, or with different partners. I'm happy to see that Laiken found a new partner in Diah Isbell. Good luck to them.

Does anyone know what is happening for Chelsea Liu at the Irvine rink? Her Chinese adventure did not bear fruit. Still, it was probably a worthwhile experience for her. Meanwhile, how is Nica Digerness faring with Liu's former partner, Ian Meyh? Has Nica's injury healed?

Last edited:

happycamper2554

On the Ice
Does anyone know what is happening for Chelsea Liu at the Irvine rink? Her Chinese adventure did not bear fruit. Still, it was probably a worthwhile experience for her. Meanwhile, how are Nica Digerness faring with Liu's former partner, Ian Meyh? Has Nica's injury healed?
Irvine has shown videos of Chelsea working with Chris Knierim but none of her and a partner. Colorado has posted videos of Nica working on her jumps. Nothing of her and Ian, but it doesn't seem like they have split

auser

Record Breaker
Tarah Kayne and Danny O'Shea can be seen in the PBS documentary "Human: The World Within" Episode 5 "Sense". They demonstrated and discussed how their senses, especially touch informed their skating and connection. https://www.pbs.org/video/sense-gutp5x/. It may be geo-blocked but I watched it with VPN set to a USA server(even though I live in US. Privacy thing;)). Their input starts within the first three minutes.

Last edited:

skylark

Gazing at a Glorious Great Lakes sunset
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
In case anyone checks this thread and hasn't seen the thread about Aljona (unlikely, I realize :)) -- Here's a link to the German article quoting the German fed as saying that TJ Nyman is Aljona's new partner. Someone said in that thread the paper is a reliable source.

I'm cross-posting:

edited:

And my almost simultaneous thought was that if Aljona is aiming for the 2026 olympics, will that put a kink in Deanna Stellato's ambition to be the oldest figure skating competitor there? A quick check with Wiki: No, Deanna is half a year older than Aljona!

Last edited:

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
In case anyone checks this thread and hasn't seen the thread about Aljona (unlikely, I realize :)) -- Here's a link to the German article quoting the German fed as saying that TJ Nyman is Aljona's new partner. Someone said in that thread the paper is a reliable source.

I'm cross-posting:

When I read that Aljona has been training in Monument since last year -- and it may be speculated, with TJ Nyman all that time -- my first thought was, oh, that sheds some light on why Tarah Kayne hasn't announced a partnering with TJ (it seemed the two were dating).

And my almost simultaneous thought was that if Aljona is aiming for the 2026 olympics, will that put a kink in Deanna Stellato's ambition to be the oldest figure skating competitor there? A quick check with Wiki: No, Deanna is half a year older than Aljona!
I thought Tarah was dating Balazs Nagy?

skylark

Gazing at a Glorious Great Lakes sunset
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I thought Tarah was dating Balazs Nagy?
Yes, you're right.; I conflated the two. Well, Nyman and Nagy are both "N" names! LOL. I'd corrected my post on the other thread, but not this one. It's corrected now. Sorry for the confusion.

Tatjana

On the Ice
ISU article with video on Alexa Knierim/Brandon Frazier. They share their music choices for the new season:

mrrice

Record Breaker
It looks like the SP went well for Alexa and Brandon at the John Nicks event. A nearly 10 point lead over their next competitors.