2021-22 Russian Women's Figure Skating | Page 416 | Golden Skate

2021-22 Russian Women's Figure Skating

halulupu

Final Flight
She decided not to go on a 2 week quarantine which is an essential step for those who meet with Putin. That's why she could not participate and instead she went to skate in Tutberidze show.

It's obvious that Russian society is divided now with respect to what's going on. On the other hand, you could see that sports.ru comments with Anna's support are "in the green" and those that criticize her are "in the red" likes speaking. The reason for red comments are sometimes bizarre: "she got the money for her medal that's why she had to attend".

On the second thought, there might be logic behind those remarks. She did get money from the state and meeting with the head of the state may be a part of the deal. No politics.
And valieva didn't skate in the shows the last two weeks?

brakes

On the Ice
You guys are talking about a skater who is clearly well-raised, intelligent, and wordly. Someone who has pretty much always done and said the right thing during her career, more so than any other skater of her era, and who has exhibited nothing but virtuousness, humility, and kindness.

I don't claim to know the reason for her not attending, but it would not shock me if it's because she doesn't feel right being associated in any way with the war and a man accused of war crimes, even if she will pay a price for this decision.

I think it's out of line to be floating baseless and insulting rumors about her family or her own motivations here. (Like, this has to do with her dad owning real estate abroad? Give me a break.)

She's already suffered a rough fate, through no fault of her own, by the standards of an Olympic gold medalist. Kamila's scandal tainted her victory, as did Sasha's display of poor sportsmanship. The war that started immediately after the Olympics, along with the lingering impact of Kamila's scandal, pretty much robbed of her of international sponsorship opportunities, and the war and its impact on the Russian economy limited domestic opportunities, as well.

Anyway, for what was potentially a brave and risky act by her here, she deserves respect and admiration, not people floating baseless rumors about her and her family's motivation. I know it's a foreign concept to some folks, but there does exist people in the world who take an unlikely and risky position simply because they have a moral compass and follow it.

Anya is pure, gentle, noble and good-hearted like a heroine of XIXc novels, with one exception: she actually exists.

280123387_mbonvxrx5z-l9wdqval8wyrxk8lgmvxwnzgqb2rkfoshpsjphuiosg2drrik2riq7kvwbw3yf8ctl407.jpg

SXTN

Final Flight
I bet the comments of the kind "Respect, Anna!" with high level of thumbs up mean "they go after her", right? C'mon. ;)

To put some clarification in an attempt to stop BS before it starts. Anna was ill in the moment the quarantine was expected to begin so she could not have start it in time. Elementary, dear Watson.
At the same time it is quite obvious that the ones with the most international relations didn't show up and made up excuses. Eteri's daughter has dual citizenship and Anna's family is very wealthy with some real estate abroad probably. Her older sister has a student visa for the Netherlands. For both families there is some risk shaking psycho's hands publicly.

alexocfp

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Unconfirmed reports that Sofia Samodurova has retired to take a coaching spot in Mishin’s camp.

If true, not surprising since the last few years were rough and was alway sad and morose after her skate.

Her dua lipa skate this year was my favorite SP of the year.

Edit: guess it’s not unconfirmed anymore.

flanker

Record Breaker
Country
Czech-Republic
BTW I'm just considering the starting of the new thread for the new season. Maybe with sad expectations, but nevertheless with hope in good skating, if not internationally than for all I care on the regional ice rinks. Becasue russian women and girls are excellent everywhere.

alexocfp

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Probably tomorrow. I've created this thread on april the 30th, so the next one will be created just a year later.
Good.

Worst case scenario, it will be me you and me posting there next year. Haha

Looks like we will become Viktoria Nesterova experts next season. Bring on the local events.

Last edited:

Lurker11

On the Ice
I wonder if is also a subtle statement that she's not wearing the Beijing Olympic powder blue outfit like the other female athletes in attendance

Could be she wanted to wear heels so she wouldn't look short and a sharper fitting suit. It does look better than the powder blue.

alexocfp

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I fired this up, my favorite SP this season.

Just like I will always associate Bolero with Kamila, I will always associate New Rules with Sofia because she rules.

Last month I was in the laundromat and heard the song played there. First thought was: Sofia! Luckily I didn’t forget my laundry. Haha

I’m gonna miss her and her energy no doubt.