2021 Gran Premio d'Italia: Men's Free Skate | Page 34 | Golden Skate

2021 Gran Premio d'Italia: Men's Free Skate

skylark

Gazing at a Glorious Great Lakes sunset
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
That is my interpretation, yes. A serious man who acts due to the weight of a moral imperative. I think that is how he relates to the story.
I think you're probably right, that's the intention. But there's none of Schindler's lightness of touch and improvisation in finding ways to save. He comes across more as a severe narrator.

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
It needs to be neater though if he intends on keeping it. Someone get Deniss some Styling Stuff (there are those two SS again)...

He needs advice from the pro: :) Jason once did a video, which I can't find. Four different kinds of product. Of course Jason's hair is very curly, as well.

Seven Sisters

Medalist
I think you're probably right, that's the intention. But there's none of Schindler's lightness of touch and improvisation in finding ways to save. He comes across more as a severe narrator.
Interesting take, but I think you might be imagining Schindler as portrayed by the charming Liam Neeson in the film. I’ve no idea what the real Schindler’s personality was like. For all I know, he may have been a man like Kolyada envisions—a serious man who did not seek out this mission but who, when confronted with these circumstances, immediately understood that no other response was morally acceptable.

Jason’s version I think approaches the story from a different angle; he expresses the perspective of the victims, their anguish and resilience.

Dreamer57

Record Breaker
Boyang, i don't know what is your problem but i hope you will solve it before olys. You're lucky Yudong is still raw and that your fed is ditching Han for unknow reasons.
I don't know if it is true but I had read a rumour somewhere that Han was asked to take up ice dance but refused. I'll be really sad if we don't get to see him compete again.

I'm really happy for Yuma (comeback supreme!) and Mikhail but so worried for Dima - I want him to make the olympics and his consistency seems to be lost again.

skylark

Gazing at a Glorious Great Lakes sunset
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Interesting take, but I think you might be imagining Schindler as portrayed by the charming Liam Neeson in the film. I’ve no idea what the real Schindler’s personality was like. For all I know, he may have been a man like Kolyada envisions—a serious man who did not seek out this mission but who, when confronted with these circumstances, immediately understood that no other response was morally acceptable.

Well, I read the book by Keneally, on which the movie was based. I agree, Kolyada may envision the character as he likes, but he seems outside the story to me, like a narrator. I can't listen to the music without feeling the power of this devious man, Oskar Schindler, who fooled the Nazi bosses time after time. Schindler as played by Liam Neeson had the same charm, the ability to get things done, and the ability to trick the bosses into thinking that he was "with" them when he was actually subverting the operation, as did the Schindler of the book, which was based on memories of the real Oskar Schindler:

Thomas Keneally, author of The Book of Science and Antiquities and The Daughter of Mars, uses the actual testimony of the Schindlerjuden—Schindler’s Jews—to brilliantly portray the courage and cunning of a good man in the midst of unspeakable evil.

Jason’s version I think approaches the story from a different angle; he expresses the perspective of the victims, their anguish and resilience.

Agree. The book and the movie are both more, in my opinion, a rescue story, rather than a more traditional holocaust story. The survivors appear most powerfully at the end, where it's like a celebration of the difference that good, principled actions can make.

Tinymavy15

Sinnerman for the win
Record Breaker
Kolyada's program is a huge miss for me, especially as it will be compared to Jason's. He only seemde to be thinking about the jumps here (maybe because he had a more ambitious content?) but I did not get any of the heartbreaking tragic violin notes translated at all. I don't think this is his vein, as he is all the ballet style which is about form and not emotive content, sometimes. Find something truly fabulous, like Apollo (Balanchine).

sworddance21

On the Ice
Kolyada's program is a huge miss for me, especially as it will be compared to Jason's. He only seemde to be thinking about the jumps here (maybe because he had a more ambitious content?) but I did not get any of the heartbreaking tragic violin notes translated at all. I don't think this is his vein, as he is all the ballet style which is about form and not emotive content, sometimes. Find something truly fabulous, like Apollo (Balanchine).
I just watched MK’s skate and came here to see what you all said. I consciously tried to watch with an open mind. I generally like Mikhail’s skating but this did absolutely nothing for me. I hated it. Nothing but super fast skating and lots of arm waving. It does him no justice at all and will suffer -IMO- even more in direct comparison to Jason. I truly hope he goes back to last year’s FP. Or anything, really.

noskates

Record Breaker
I was really disappointed in Kolyada's SL. I find him rather stiff and lacking fluidity when he skates with a lot of arm waving - although his rotations are quick and tight. If he and Jason go head to head.......it won't be pretty. I think this program, this choreography, and his outfit do not do him justice at all. I like Mikail's skating when he's somewhat whimsical. This choreography did nothing for him - he's better than that!

Jaana

Record Breaker
Country
Finland
Kagiyama was wonderful, WOW!!! Feeling also very happy for Grassl´ s bronze medal... SL music suits Kolyada really well as he always has that strained look on the ice and the costume is suitable for the music, too. If skated cleanly this program will be the winning SL in men, IMO.

Poor Jin, I just wonder what has happened to his jumps? He has had problems with them way too long, unless of course if he is constantly injured? His costume is beautiful, IMO. I hoped Cha to be more successful in the freeskate as his sp was so great.

figureskatingandrainbows

As Kao Miura once said, スケートって難しい
Record Breaker
Country
Olympic
Misha has gorgeous balletic lines, but from the face up nothing is happening performance-wise. That's why Nureyev was so good. It highlighted his posture and carriage and style of movement, which when combined with excellent choreography, created a fantastic program. SL doesn't have quite the same style to it. It's an emotional piece that often requires subtle movements and facial expressions, which aren't Misha's strong suit. It's not a bad program or anything, but it falls very flat compared to Nureyev and Jason's SL. He could absolutely medal at the Olympics with Nureyev, but considering the judges aren't giving him as much PCS with this program, I don't know if he can medal with SL.

rain

Record Breaker
My overall impression was one of disappointment.

So many of these programs are nothing but the men skating from one jump to another, with only a few vague and unconvincing arm movements meant to take the place of real choreography. Any music could be playing in the background. It's particularly noticeable when the jumps aren't all there. It's a vast emptiness. Thank goodness they've been mandated to do a choreographic sequence or it would be even worse. At least that's a few seconds of something else to look at besides jump preparation.

It can be exciting, of course, when a skater performs a clean program and they themselves are excited by their success, but is it too much to ask for some actual programs?

That said, Yuma had a great skate here, and I'd say he's probably punched his ticket to the Olympics.

dalenofff

Rinkside
So Yuma PCS is 88+, higher than Misha, and no one even mention it? No one complain? Specially since this is his second year at senior ... guess when it come to skater you like PCS can go as high as needed.. :)....