2021 John Nicks Pairs Challenge at Middle Atlantics | Golden Skate

2021 John Nicks Pairs Challenge at Middle Atlantics

gsk8

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
The 2021 John Nicks Pairs Challenge at Middle Atlantics will be held September 9-10, 2021 in conjunction with the 95th Annual Middle Atlantic Championships at the home of The Skating Club of New York, Chelsea Piers in New York City. This event will be an ISU Minimum Technical Score featuring Junior and Senior Pairs.

Last edited:

Seven Sisters

Medalist
I’d like to know more about this event—who’s competing (will there be international competitors?), time schedule, etc. I don’t see anything yet on the USFS site. If anyone has info, please do share. Thank you!

ice coverage

Record Breaker
I’d like to know more about this event—who’s competing (will there be international competitors?), time schedule, etc. I don’t see anything yet on the USFS site. If anyone has info, please do share. Thank you!

Skating Club of New York's website has a work-in-progress drop-down menu for the Nicks event. :)

Although information has not been added yet, URLs have been created there for Schedule and Entries and Results.

Also worth keeping an eye on is what seems will be the USFS results URL:

Last edited:

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Thank you ice coverage!

You're welcome.

Ooops, I just now have corrected the SCNY Entries and Results URL in my previous post. (Fixing my accidental repetition of the schedule url.)
The Entries and Results URL (from the drop-down menu) is giving an error message at present, but I hope that will change sooner :pray: or later.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
A couple of crumbs re scheduling, FWIW:

From the *subject-to-change* entryeeze schedules for 2021 Middle Atlantics (the club competition):

West Rink - Thu, Sep 9, 2021
10:00 AM to 6:45 PM John Nicks Pairs Challenge

West Rink - Fri, Sep 10, 2021
8:00 AM to 5:05 PM John Nicks Pairs Challenge​

If the general idea remains true that the Nicks competition will be ending relatively early in the evenings (as opposed to during later nighttime hours), maybe that will be of note to @Seven Sisters or others who are considering the possibility of in-person attendance.
(My two cents are that I suspect that the Nicks events [senior and junior] will not have a high enough number of entries to mean that practices/warm-ups/competition in total really would take up as many hours as the totals shown on the schedule. Just my opinion.)​

Meanwhile, for those who like singles skating too, Mids have been known in the past to include some U.S. entries who have competed internationally and/or at Nats.
Plus coaches and spectators who fit the same description.
Without knowing who specifically will be at 2021 Mids, I think that the club competition (as well as the Nicks international) potentially could have some good opportunities for competition-watching plus people-watching.

ETA (on Sep 7):
Update: "No spectators allowed."
(See Post #8 below.)​

ETA (on Sep 1):

Without mentioning the Nicks event by name, Spencer Howe last night gave a clear indication that Chan/Howe plan to compete here. :)

Last edited:

Lamente Ariane

Skating Skills -5, Fashion +3, Camp +4
Record Breaker
Is there any word on this competition allowing spectators? I assumed they were but the almost complete lack of information oriented towards spectators (no public entry list two days before the event, no ticket information listed, etc) is making me wonder.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Is there any word on this competition allowing spectators? I assumed they were but the almost complete lack of information oriented towards spectators (no public entry list two days before the event, no ticket information listed, etc) is making me wonder.

"No spectators allowed" is what I am seeing today, per this link for competitors/officials/coaches/volunteers/chaperones:

The link is from the home page of SCNY. (Newly added there, AFAIK. IIRC, I had looked at the page earlier today, and the link was not there yet?)

I too had hoped to attend as a spectator. That said, I respect that safety is being prioritized.

cc: @Seven Sisters

Lamente Ariane

Record Breaker
"No spectators allowed" is what I am seeing today, per this link for competitors/officials/coaches/volunteers/chaperones:

The link is from the home page of SCNY. (Newly added there, AFAIK. IIRC, I had looked at the page earlier today, and the link was not there yet?)

I too had hoped to attend as a spectator. That said, I respect that safety is being prioritized.

cc: @Seven Sisters
Thank you for the update. Disappointing but understandable. I hope there will be a stream available at least.

Brauliomx

On the Ice
Country
Mexico

Lamente Ariane

Record Breaker
I really would like to know who will be competing at this challenge. It starts tomorrow, We've got all the necessary links (thanks @ice coverage ) but I just get the response that the competition hasn't started yet. I know that! I just want to know the entries, not the results. Those will come eventually.
It’s strange because the entries are up on the page for Middle Atlantics. I guess sometime tomorrow we’ll find out?

CherylDee

On the Ice
Country
United-States
The starting order for Jr pairs is up with 6 teams, starting at 1:50 pm. That's all we have for now, and that stream seems worthy of *red flag* warning.

skylark

Gazing at a Glorious Great Lakes sunset
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
The starting order for Jr pairs is up with 6 teams, starting at 1:50 pm. That's all we have for now, and that stream seems worthy of *red flag* warning.
I feel like I need the old "there are no stupid questions" thread. Here goes: how can you (and others have said much the same thing) tell that a stream seems worthy of "red flag" warning?

I hasten to add that I Really, Really appreciate posts like this, because I suppose I must be tone deaf when it comes to such a thing. I'm always in a quandary when asked to subscribe to something ... so :thank: for this information!

Last edited:

Lamente Ariane

Record Breaker
I feel like I need the old "there are no stupid questions" thread. Here goes: how can you (and others have much said the same thing) tell that a stream seems worthy of "red flag" warning?

I hasten to add that I Really, Really appreciate posts like this, because I suppose I must be tone deaf when it comes to such a thing. I'm always in a quandary when asked to subscribe to something ... so :thank: for this information!
I don’t always know myself (far from it) but in this case the fact that streaming is not even mentioned on the Skating Club of NY site is a big red flag.