9. 52.50 FINSTER / SILECKY USA
10. 44.95 CRAFOORD / CRAFOORD SWE
11. 31.74 BURDEN / ROUNIS USA
WD CHOUINARD / MAYR AUT

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
INTERESTING: Isabeau LEVITO and Lindsay THORNGREN are entered in the Middle Atlantic Senior Women competition. While the top 5 Senior Pairs entered in the John Nicks International competition will receive ISU World ranking points, the senior skaters at Middle Atlantics will not, because those are not ISU international events.

Andrea82

Medalist
Knierim/Frazier 212.55
Calalang/Johnson 196.69
Lu/Mitrofanov 195.20
Liu/O'Shea 177.45
Pepeleva/Pleshkov (Russia) 174.62
Chan/Howe 170.08
Kops/Kransopolski (Israel) 165.85
McBeath/Bartholomey 161.69
Crafoord/Crafoord (Sweden) 148.59
Finster/Silecky 130.47
Burden/Rounis 89.65

Compared to Cranberry Cup it looks

Knierim/Frazier +6.68 points
Calalang/Johnson +1.41
Lu/Mitrofanov +36.39
Liu/O'Shea +12.25
Chan/Howe -12.36
Kops/Kransopolski +40.88
McBeath/Bartholomey +3.95
Crafoord/Crafoord +10.18

Last edited:

CherylDee

On the Ice
Country
United-States
Knierim/Frazier 212.55
Calalang/Johnson 196.69
Lu/Mitrofanov 195.20
Liu/O'Shea 177.45
Pepeleva/Pleshkov (Russia) 174.62
Chan/Howe 170.08
Kops/Kransopolski (Israel) 165.85
McBeath/Bartholomey 161.69
Crafoord/Crafoord (Sweden) 148.59
Finster/Silecky 130.47
Burden/Rounis 89.65
Sure wished we could have seen this. It's actually kind of mean of SCNY not to have videos since an audience was not allowed. Maybe insider/coach/guests videos will surface soon, sure would be nice.

apgold

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Yes, I really wish had a livestream or videos somewhere. I know Lynn Rutherford was there, since she posted a photo of L/M in their costumes on Twitter. (Perhaps they only invited press)

It figures that the only local competition to me was closed to spectators. I have been to ITNY performances at Chelsea Piers in the past and they have a decent amount of bleachers for spectators. I think they could have limited the numbers for distancing purposes.

Perhaps Dave from TSL will be able to get in and take some videos of the ladies comp. I know many of you dislike him, but he had good coverage of Cranberry last month.

CherylDee

On the Ice
Country
United-States
Yes, I really wish had a livestream or videos somewhere. I know Lynn Rutherford was there, since she posted a photo of L/M in their costumes on Twitter. (Perhaps they only invited press)

It figures that the only local competition to me was closed to spectators. I have been to ITNY performances at Chelsea Piers in the past and they have a decent amount of bleachers for spectators. I think they could have limited the numbers for distancing purposes.

Perhaps Dave from TSL will be able to get in and take some videos of the ladies comp. I know many of you dislike him, but he had good coverage of Cranberry last month.
Yeah that sucks to be so close and be shut out. And you're right Dave most likely got something we can look forward to, since he is press more or less and a member of SCNY. I tolerate Dave, but love love Jonathan Beyer who bends just a wee too much to Dave's overpowering personality. Dave is much like a little Chihuahua though, a lotta bark with no bite; but granted he does come through with the goods, and hopefully he'll land one for us here.

BlissfulSynergy

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
What a shame that the organizers of this event did not find a way to offer viewing for fans either in real time, or after the live event. The outcomes for juniors and seniors is interesting, but without a chance to see the performances, we are fairly much in the dark. In general, I don't like to examine protocols, until after I see actual performances.

In junior pairs, how fascinating that Chloe Panetta/Kieran Thrasher of Canada, won the event by percentage points over Kate Fleming/ Chase Finster. Chloe/Kieran were the only Canadian entry for juniors among USA teams. I would have expected a U.S. junior team to win on home turf, especially under these circumstances. However, I suppose Kate/Chase were not clean in the sp, despite narrowly winning the fp over Chloe/Kieran. From what I've seen of Kate/Chase in summer competitions, they have been steadily improving. At Cranberry Open in August, they looked good, winning the sp but placing second overall behind Martins/Bedard. Here are scores from that event:

https://ijs.usfigureskating.org/leaderboard/results/2021/30005/CAT043SEG043.html sp
https://ijs.usfigureskating.org/leaderboard/results/2021/30005/CAT048SEG048.html fp

Again, we unfortunately don't get to see the progression of these teams at this inaugural pairs challenge event, ahead of the start of the fall season. I think that's a mistake on the part of the organizers. It's understandable in view of COVID that no spectators were allowed, aside from reporters. But that's even more reason for offering a streaming option for fans. Why not make the event available on Peacock?! The upcoming International Figure Skating Classic will be on Peacock, but this year there aren't any pairs entries as there have been in prior years. Claire Cloutier who created A Divine Sport blog, and who writes for Figure Skaters Online was at the John Nicks Pairs Challenge, but I don't see a review on her blog. Claire did tweet performance information, along with posting photos of medalists on her Twitter:

Chloe/Kieran with Mervin Tran (who helped coach them):

Senior Pairs medalists:

Direct link to Claire's Twitter:
https://twitter.com/ClaireCloutier?ref_src=twsrc^google|twcamp^serp|twgr^author (scroll down for JNPC coverage)

ETA: Posting a link to Chloe Panetta's Instagram pic with other JNPC medalists:

Kieran Thrasher is new to pairs. Apparently, he's a hockey player who was recruited to skate pairs (or else he developed an interest in pairs independently). Reportedly, he still plays hockey, but I would imagine he'd eventually have to give up hockey if things become more successful for him and Chloe as pairs partners. I'm happy for Chloe that she found a new partner in Kieran, post her split with Benjamin Mimar, who is now in a very promising partnership with Brooke McIntosh. Brooke/Ben moved to seniors as he's aged out of juniors. I last saw Brooke/Ben compete at the 2021 Skate Canada (virtual) Challenge event in January. Brooke/Ben looked very good, and should be a top flight team for Canada in coming years if they continue at the pace they've been showing.

During January's virtual Skate Canada Challenge event, Chloe/Kieran looked promising, but still rather new to each other and rough around the edges. They had only a very basic double twist, and were a bit shaky on some other elements, including a lift that didn't stay up. So, they clearly must have improved by leaps and bounds to win junior pairs at the inaugural John Nicks Pairs Challenge, in the U.S, even despite not winning the fp:

For those interested, below are links to the Daily Motion videos for Junior Pairs at the SC event in January 2021:

https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x7yk8if Junior Pairs sp (scroll to 1:02:15 for start of Chloe/Kieran's sp)
https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x7ykw7k Junior Pairs fp (scroll to 15:15 for start of Chloe/Kieran's fp)

Of course, the above videos only provide a general idea of the new pairing of Chloe/Kieran, since they must have improved a great deal over eight months. Plus, you can gain an idea about Canada's other up-and-coming junior pairs teams. How nice that Mervin Tran has returned to one of his former coaches, Bruno Marcotte, to help coach a new generation of Canadian pairs skaters. :)

Last edited: