2021 World Team Trophy - Day 1 | Page 41 | Golden Skate

2021 World Team Trophy - Day 1

anonymoose_au

Insert weird opinion here
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
I really do not understand how Jason's PCS score is not well above both Nathan's and Yuzuru's scores.
That's true, Jason and Kevin should definitely be at the top. Mika K too. Free the components, I say! Because the interpretation score should really depend on the skate itself. Someone like Donovan C could easily get a 9 or something in that even if he only gets a 6 or 7 in the rest of them.
That mask and goofy getup do Jean Luc no favors.
He did have a better SpongeBob mask before, it had little SpongeBobs on it rather than making him look like he had SpongeBob's mouth :laugh:

Fluture

Record Breaker
I dunno, are Nathan's PCS really so inflated? I mean obviously they shouldn't be the highest, but I feel like he gets an unfair rap. He was totally into it and the program seemed pretty well constructed and all that jazz.

So, I really didn’t want to start an argument about this and I’m still not planning to. But since you asked, I’ll try to give you my views on it:

Nathan‘s grown to be a much better performer (not compared to Kevin Aymoz, however...) but I would say in skating skills he‘s easily beaten by Yuzu, Jason and Misha (Shoma, too, usually) and I don‘t think he particularly interprets the music in any meaningful way. There‘s a difference between performance and interpretation after all... As for the program itself: that may be my personal taste talking but I did not find it well-constructed or the choreography matching the theme. Energetic, yes, but other than that? Compare that to Jason’s fine details, or Yuzu’s SP, where even during spins he matches every accent of the music.. And Nathan‘s transitions aren‘t that complex or intricate either.

I think Nathan‘s a phenomenal jumper who‘s developing artistically, but he‘s nowhere near the level that his PCS suggest. And this kind of inflation, personally, makes me he enjoy his skating a lot less. He could and would win without it.

Just my take on it and I still enjoyed the Men‘s SP. Hope the FS will be similarly great.

chasingneverland

Record Breaker
That's true, Jason and Kevin should definitely be at the top. Mika K too. Free the components, I say! Because the interpretation score should really depend on the skate itself. Someone like Donovan C could easily get a 9 or something in that even if he only gets a 6 or 7 in the rest of them.

He did have a better SpongeBob mask before, it had little SpongeBobs on it rather than making him look like he had SpongeBob's mouth :laugh:
I actually thought Nathan did a good job of performing and interpreting here..I might have given him maybe a point total less but overall I thought his PCS were fine. I think the crowd helps him. Same with Hanyu actually..

flanker

Record Breaker
Country
Czech-Republic
My short summary of the day 1:

Dance:
No big surprises as is usual in dance, though the positive thing is 2nd place for Guignard/Fabbri, always good to see skaters from a country outside of the "big three" (Russia, USA, Japan or maybe France in case of ice dance thanks to P/C) on podium.

Ladies:
Anna and Liza confirmed their status. Congrats esp. to Anna, she's handling the pressure of being the russian No. 1 very well so far. Rika seems to be dealing with injuries which hold her back. Kaori's skate was wonderful as well. I'm not sure if I would put Karen over Lara Naki Gutmann. Lara had some issues with jumps but Karen fell from the combo, had UR Rittberger, but still received two points higher score than the italian girl.

Men:
Poor Daniel, the responsibility of being the only italian man there got him it seems. As for the rest, the judges still keep Evgeni Semenenko down. He has third highest technical score only after Chen/Hanyu, but second worst components with a clean skate vs. several skates with mistakes. I don't see him being that much worse in comparison with with what I've seen today. Hanyu/Chen, Hanyu had some problem with landing 3A, still I would put him over Chen today as his combo also wasn't clean.

Last edited:

Paulipau

Final Flight
Country
Poland
I just wanted to add that this is the first time I've seen Sadovsky and he has a beautiful posture, lines, movement, spins. Really a top notch skater.
I hope that he can to go Nebelhorn and get himself a ticket to Bejing.

. As for the rest, the judges still keep Evgeni Sememnenko down. He has third highest technical score only after Chen/Hanyu, but second worst components with a clean skate vs. several skates with mistakes. I don't see him being that much worse in comparison with with what I've seen today.
Yeap, I understood why his PCS was low at Worlds as he was super stressed and it was really visible, he seemed shaky and interpretation was close to zero. But he did well today, I could see this program coming together really.

Last edited:

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Maybe this'll be controversial, maybe not, but having Aymoz and Jason back to back did absolutely no favours to Aymoz on the second mark, IMO. It made him look slower, more hesitant, the program emptier and with less choreogaphy. Granted, Jason sets a high bar, but the direct comparison showed that Jason is far above Aymoz.

I don't want to hear a single complaint about Hanyu's score given that two judges gave him 0s and the rest -1s for a jump on which he nearly goddamn headbutted the ice.

I don't know what more the judges want from Jason's 3F, but I'm quite sure it's not possible to give on this earth.

Corwin

On the Ice
Country
Russia
The judging was quite understandable. It was the only way to get the American team up against Russian.

labgoat

Done updating WJC rewatches!
Record Breaker
Country
United-States

Tavi...

Record Breaker
The judging was quite understandable. It was the only way to get the American team up against Russian.
I think it’s more likely that each judge was trying to boost his/her own skaters, within reason, and in some cases also to leave room for Shoma. That includes the Russian judge, who had Kolyada and Semenenko 3rd and 4th respectively. Kolyada, okay, you can make the argument. But her marks / ranking for Semenenko were out of line with those of the other judges, and she marked both Kevin and Jason lowest of all the judges.

Jaana

Record Breaker
Country
Finland
I think that Aymoz and Kolyada were very much robbed and should be higher up.

apgold

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
There were some confusion if it was Chris or Simon commentating today.

If you watched the ISU official YT stream (like I did) it was Simon.

But I just saw a Eurosport clip of Anna's skate and the commentator was Chris.

So everyone was right...
Simon's butchering of Anna's surname killed me. She is a World Champion, can't he learn how to say it right? She's not an unknown.

Please bring back Mark Hanretty and his Scottish brogue!

Jontor

Medalist
Country
Sweden
As I understand it, Russian names has often the hook on the second syllable. Maybe Simon has learnt that.

But it's not the case with Shcherbakova as we've heard many times in Russian competitions.

Maybe some Russian language speaker can help us out here.

Last edited: