2021 World Team Trophy - Day 3 | Page 20 | Golden Skate

2021 World Team Trophy - Day 3

rollerblade

Record Breaker
The prize difference per ranking isn't that big after splitting it 10-ways. Still a great payday for a "long weekend job", even for Team Canada. Coaches cut is dependent on their own contracts.... but I wonder how big of a cut the federation gets.

ladyjane

Medalist
Country
Netherlands
The Pairs competition was a delight for me. Especially because I expected 3 of the couples to be pretty close together again, and it's always fun to see who comes out on top on the day when they're on a level. Today the Americans were the best of the three. Alexa and Brandon skated better than at the WC and they got the second place. 11 points for the performance on the day. Good for them. Nicole and Matteo have a lovely programme, but today it was a bit like skating from element to element and that's it. At least there were no falls on the throws today. Great to see the Japanese Riku and Ryuichi delivering again today. Not perfect but 3rd again, and that's just great. I hope Ryuichi is alright, because he seemed to be in pain at the end (although you didn't notice this during the programme itself).

I must say I also liked watching the Canadians Lori-Ann and Thierry and the French Cleo and Denys just as well. Denys had to fight for the lifts and there was a fall, but they definitely are improving, Lori-Ann and Thierry are lovely skaters, and they may be part of the Canadian 'B-team' and last here, but still great to watch. Looking good for the future.

The cherry on top were Anastasia and Alexandr once again. They skated very well. Again impressed by their SBS 3-Salchow-Euler-3-Salchow, and the whole programme looked so fresh and joyful. Nice ending of this part of the WTT.

chasingneverland

Record Breaker
The prize difference per ranking isn't that big after splitting it 10-ways. Still a great payday for a "long weekend job", even for Team Canada. Coaches cut is dependent on their own contracts.... but I wonder how big of a cut the federation gets.
8 ways right??

colormyworld240

Medalist
I see a team gold medal next season for Russia. And maybe a medal for Japan as well.
It's crazy because the "weakest" Russian lady who isn't chosen for the team event could very possibly win the individual gold.

But they will have to go into the individual event with a huge knock to their confidence knowing they were deemed the weakest by the federation and that they missed out on an Olympic gold medal (if they win) while the rest of the team is celebrating.

That's so rough mentally.

It would be so much better if all 3 teams get to compete, but I guess that doesn't work because not all countries qualify 3 per discipline. Compared to artistic gymnastics where there are enough events that everyone gets a shot in the team competition.

chasingneverland

Record Breaker
It's crazy because the "weakest" Russian lady who isn't chosen for the team event could very possibly win the individual gold.

But they will have to go into the individual event with a huge knock to their confidence knowing they were deemed the weakest by the federation and that they missed out on an Olympic gold medal (if they win) while the rest of the team is celebrating.

That's so rough mentally.
Conversely, they'll also be less tired though too.

But the Olympics there's only one SP for Ladies, one FS for ladies, one SP for men, one FS for men, one SP for pairs, one FS for pairs, one SP for dance, and one FS for dance.

Plus they can pick only two (2) disciplines to replace someone between the SP and the FS. Or not replace anyone.

So that also applies for other disciplines too, with the exception of men. Third pairs team could definitely win individual gold and there's no guarantee they even use two pairs.

But it's also not "weakest" persay. It's about looking at where the other nations are strong and weaker. For example, it made sense for Canada to have Tessa and Scott do both SP and FS because no one is near their level. For the ladies of Russia, it makes sense to pick the strongest SP skater and the strongest FS skater which aren't (1) necessarily the same skater and (2) aren't necessarily the strongest skaters overall. But then you also have to balance that with where you're more likely to pick up valuable points against main contenders and where it helps your team overall not just that discipline. And then balance that against individual medals potential.

Last edited:

ladyjane

Medalist
Country
Netherlands
I also watched (part of) the women's FS event - I might go and watch them all later. I was most impressed. I thought Bradie had a good outing, I was a bit underwhelmed by Rika (but I expected that due to her being injured), Liza impressed with her 3A's but the programme as such wasn't really interesting (sorry Liza), Kaori was fantastic - she's been doing this programme well all season but today was really something, and Anna was impressive too - that 3-lutz-3-loop combi is fantastic - and the programme as a whole was very well executed. The Russian win was clinched, although I think even with Anna skating less well, that would have been the case. Well done all.

Jontor

Medalist
Country
Sweden
Japan was so close to 2nd. If Rika had been in form, she would have been second after Anna, and Japan would have taken silver.

LadyB

Record Breaker
To those who are talking the Russian win down due to WTT being a 'cheesy' 'non-event' (thank you for enduring watching regardless :biggrin: ):
You are right, it's not a 'proper' competition due to the lack of high profile athletes from the US, Canada or China.

However, recent Worlds was a very real competition and, if memory serves, the Russians did quite well (as they do in Europe anyway). So, I think the WTT champs title is well deserved and reflects the quality they bring to skating on an international level. Also happy about the wonga they are taking home, and I'm happy that every team gets a share.

Now, my beloved friends, I shall prepare myself with several layers of garment before I'm hitting the beergarden (inside is not allowed yet) and I'll consume an as yet undisclosed number of beer and wine to honour this (half)season.

See yous tomorrow for gala! 😘

chasingneverland

Record Breaker
Well I meant to get the winning score in the event...Anna always scores super high.

Awww the flags are out in the crowd.
Well she doesn't really have anyone here who can match her technically, even. (Sasha could have but she's not here.)

Rika at full strength can but she wasn't here. :( Liza has 3As but Anna has a quad (even if it's shaky) and her program is soooo optimized. Kaori doesn't have the technical content.

Anna didn't need to be at full strength to win this. And she was much cleaner here than at World's.

chasingneverland

Record Breaker
I also watched (part of) the women's FS event - I might go and watch them all later. I was most impressed. I thought Bradie had a good outing, I was a bit underwhelmed by Rika (but I expected that due to her being injured), Liza impressed with her 3A's but the programme as such wasn't really interesting (sorry Liza), Kaori was fantastic - she's been doing this programme well all season but today was really something, and Anna was impressive too - that 3-lutz-3-loop combi is fantastic - and the programme as a whole was very well executed. The Russian win was clinched, although I think even with Anna skating less well, that would have been the case. Well done all.
I LOVED Kaori today!!!

Yeah Russia had already won before Anna stepped onto the ice. She could have gotten 1 point for Russia and it wouldn't have made a difference. Not that Anna was EVER going to do that haha.

chasingneverland

Record Breaker
To those who are talking the Russian win down due to WTT being a 'cheesy' 'non-event' (thank you for enduring watching regardless :biggrin: ):
You are right, it's not a 'proper' competition due to the lack of high profile athletes from the US, Canada or China.

However, recent Worlds was a very real competition and, if memory serves, the Russians did quite well (as they do in Europe anyway). So, I think the WTT champs title is well deserved and reflects the quality they bring to skating on an international level. Also happy about the wonga they are taking home, and I'm happy that every team gets a share.

Now, my beloved friends, I shall prepare myself with several layers of garment before I'm hitting the beergarden (inside is not allowed yet) and I'll consume an as yet undisclosed number of beer and wine to honour this (half)season.

See yous tomorrow for gala! 😘
They brought 3 newly-crowned World Champions and those 3 delivered 12 points in each SP and FS.

Also enjoy the beer gardens!!! I'm jealous however it's 5 am here haha.