2021 Worlds: Rhythm Dance "Thoughts and Observations" | Golden Skate

2021 Worlds: Rhythm Dance "Thoughts and Observations"

gsk8

Record Breaker
Country
United-States

What are your thoughts on the Rhythm Dance? Are the placements as you predicted? Which RD did you like best?

Last edited:

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
A little disappointed with H/B's placement - not that I'm a huge fan of their RD, but I certainly am a huge fan of their FD. It'll get buried now.

I liked that the tech panel wasn't just throwing out Level 4 for everything, but I think the judges were compensating with some pretty generous GOE.

mrrice

Record Breaker
Haven't seen the skates but, I am happy to see the US teams do so well in this segment. Looking forward to the FD.

Last edited:

litenkyckling

Final Flight
Biggest upset for me is no T/V in the FD!! Gutted for them. That and Spain - such a shame.

I would've had H/B closer to F/G as I think their PCS are better - I mean F/G with higher SS than H/B? I can't agree there.

I also would have had H/D in first marginally over S/K - they just looked stronger and more sure of themselves here. H/D need to keep up the level 4s tomorrow to keep their lead over C/B. Also giving C/B the same SS as H/D - questionable.

I love S/B but today was not their day - I hope her back is ok because she just didn't look as 'on' as she usually does. G/P were very good - but again I think the nerves were showing a little. Oh and G/F deserved better but whats new?

gsk8

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I love Sara Hurtado's new look!

I get a smile every time I watch Hawayek/Baker, but it is more of an exhibition piece IMO. Still, they make me remember when I have to dig around for other music and programs.

slider11

Medalist
A little disappointed with H/B's placement - not that I'm a huge fan of their RD, but I certainly am a huge fan of their FD. It'll get buried now.

I liked that the tech panel wasn't just throwing out Level 4 for everything, but I think the judges were compensating with some pretty generous GOE.
Agreed that Hawayek and Baker could have received better marks. I am hoping that the FD will show their strength and beauty and be appropriately rewarded. Also agree that certain teams were getting undeserved GOEs. Judges were, on the whole, a bit sketchy in showing their favoritism.

Colonel Green

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
How many of these teams are likely retiring after the Olys?
I wouldn't be surprised if we lose 6-7 of the top ten after 2022.

Stepanova/Bukin got outrageously gifted; they probably shouldn't even be in the penultimate group, let alone in fifth place.

Biggest overperformance to my expectations go to Fear/Gibson. Particularly after the harsh calling in the antepenultimate group, I was thinking they might drop like a rock out of the top ten, but they had their best RD result ever.

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Hey @Colonel Green I missed the third Canadian team, and I'm a fan. I am surprised to see the low placement. Did they have a mishap? Or is it just "not their turn yet"?

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
I missed the third Canadian team, and I'm a fan. I am surprised to see the low placement. Did they have a mishap? Or is it just "not their turn yet"?
it is their first senior worlds!!! they are babies ;) it will come ;) considering where they placed, i think they did quite well for a first RD. Their twizzles were spectacular... cannot wait to see them birding

Sackie

Medalist
Looking at the protocols it was so easy to tell where Judge #6 was from before I even checked! ;-)

Colonel Green

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Hey @Colonel Green I missed the third Canadian team, and I'm a fan. I am surprised to see the low placement. Did they have a mishap? Or is it just "not their turn yet"?
The latter, mainly. It wasn't the best Finnstep they've ever done (not that that mattered for some other teams), but they skated well. Their placement is fine, I'd say (all of the teams ahead of them are much older and more experienced).

How many of these teams are likely retiring after the Olys?
probabaly all potential medalists. S/K, G/P, H/D, C/B, P/C maybe will sit out

USA will probably have C/P and H/B for next quad and Russia will still need S/B at least 2 years after Olympics
to stablise before Eteris daughter and that actors son kid become their top dance or Krylovas team (Kaganovskaya/Angelopol)

Dogo

On the Ice
A bit disappointed with the scores. I was rooting for everyone but is hard to keep cheering when scores don't reflect what we actually see in the ice. Also, makes it a bit hard for me to cheer for S/K going into the Free knowing that they will be given some magical points even if they screw it up.

GoneWithTheWind

On the Ice
Country
United-Kingdom
Managed to catch up with the top 6.
I know I'm a fan of G/F, and therefore am biased, but I'm still trying to work out how S/B scored 2 points better than them, despite an obvious error in the pattern style step. :scratch2:
In the positive, G/P's rhythm dance was great, so charismatic and so much fun!

Good luck to everyone in the free dance. It's finally the weekend, so I'll actually be able to watch the whole event!

fzztsimmons

On the Ice
Everyone was talking about S/K being inflated but to me the biggest controversy was how high S/B were for what they put out. It was hilarious as mark literally said "some big issues" on certain elements and then the GOEs that would flash up were sky high. They did not skate their best, they had clear wobbles, and they were what, within a point of G/P? A joke, a literal joke. What's the point in watching, the placements are predetermined anyway.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
Everyone was talking about S/K being inflated but to me the biggest controversy was how high S/B were for what they put out. It was hilarious as mark literally said "some big issues" on certain elements and then the GOEs that would flash up were sky high. They did not skate their best, they had clear wobbles, and they were what, within a point of G/P? A joke, a literal joke. What's the point in watching, the placements are predetermined anyway.
it really looked like the judges had already decided on how many points they would give them... very sad moment in sport