2022 Olympic Team Event discussion and predictions | Page 13 | Golden Skate

2022 Olympic Team Event discussion and predictions

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
It appears the men's team event FS has been moved one day earlier to Sunday 2/6. There's no more back-to-back for the men. Good for the skaters who are assigned to compete in the Team FS.

Team SP - Friday 2/4
Team FS - Sunday 2/6
Individual SP - Tuesday 2/8
Individual FS - Thursday 2/10

Wow, good for them. That change certainly makes more sense for the men's competition, and gives more options.

I still don't think Nathan will want to do both Team Events, and do three skates in four days, but I'm not Nathan.;)

lurkerghost1

On the Ice
No it isn't an even matchup. Vincent was destroyed by Uno at NHK and Uno hasn't reached his potential peak yet with his jump layout for the season. Vincent has no room to improve over what he did at Skate America and likely will not repeat that performance again, as he's now trying to live up to that career-best moment and doesn't have the mental fortitude to do it.
Vincent destroyed Shoma at skate America - so they’re still even. And Vincent actually is more likely to repeat a 190+ free skate than Shoma is as despite competing less this quad than Shoma internationally, Vincent has broken 190 twice just like Shoma. Shoma has never put down an entirely clean competition once this quad (has he even last quad either? I don’t think so), which means discussion of his "potential peak" is basically irrelevant, just like Trusova's potential peak of 5 quads which has never happened. Shoma is not suddenly going to go clean in 3 programs at the Olympics when he can't even have two clean programs at any random competition with no stakes.
To be the most competitive you don't want an "even matchup" either. You want to select the team that has the highest chance of winning. That team inherently means Nathan skating both segments. You're very incorrect that it's unlikely to come down to 2 points between any two teams, that can happen in many scenarios and it's completely anti-competitive to act like it's some unforeseen possibility.
To be the most competitive overall, which I'm sure USFS is thinking, would be to prioritize the most likely gold medal. Which is Nathan in the men's immediately two days after the team event. And it's not just likelier than the team event, but Nathan has a >50% chance of winning gold while the team has probably <10% chance.

I would totally agree with you if the team event was after the individual like world team trophy (where Nathan has always skated and done excellently) but the reality is you can't only look at the "most competitive" team in a vacuum when the events are so terribly scheduled.

I never said it was completely impossible for it to come down to 2 points but by definition, it is unlikely, simply by looking at past results. How is that "very incorrect?" Sure the sample size is small (only two Olympics) but that's really all we got.
IF Russia dominates after the SP, then maybe you can "give up" at that point, since there might not be enough ground to be gained in the LP of this extremely poorly structured event. It would need to be a blowout though, to the extent that Russia bombing the Men's and Pair's LP would still allow them to win even if USA places the best that could possibly be expected in the LP.
Yeah russia is not going to lose the pairs LP, Mishina/Galliamov have absolutely dominated in the LP for all of 2021. if Russia has a 4 point lead going into the free programs (likely, assuming S/K skate the RD) its over. In the free, they'll be 1st in women's and pairs, 1st in dance (if S/K skate) or 3rd/4th in dance (if S/B or D/S skate). and men's FP is unpredictable but even if Kolyada gets last they still total 33 points. At best he's 3rd and S/K skate the free too = they have 38.

USA in the free program at best wins mens, wins dance if S/K don't skate, 3rd in womens, 2nd in pairs (being VERY generous assuming both that Italy or Georgia make it instead of China and that the USA beats Miura/Kihara here) for a total of 37 and tie Russia's worst. But they can go lower in every discipline realistically especially pairs and reaching getting 3 clean free skates from their non-dance is unlikely.

Basically every single thing would have to go their way and Russia would have to both not have S/K in the free and have Kolyada totally flop the free. The only scenario it makes any sense to even consider asking Nathan to skate the free is if USA is outright ahead going into the free skates. That would require either a Kolyada flop in the short and/or a pairs flop from Russia.
Also, this talk that Vincent would be "denied" an Olympic medal by Nathan skating both segments is ridiculous. Only 2 of the disciples are allowed to be split. If Vincent is doing the team event then it means HE is robbing either a woman or a dance team of their Olympic medal, as they would then not be allowed to compete.
This is clearly more anti-Vincent nonsense. He is a world medalist, made the GPF this year, and has the 2nd highest total score and free skate score this season behind only Nathan. None of those are true for any American woman, none of them even won a GP medal. Vincent absolutely deserves to skate in the team event (unless he has a nationals disaster and places behind Jason). If two women are chosen to skate USFS will 100% be robbing Vincent, not the other way around. Two women are not entitled to get a medal just because 20 years ago the American women were at the top of the sport. And while I would personally love nothing more than for Alysa and Karen to both get in the team event, from any objective perspective it would obviously not be fair to Vincent or Chock/Bates, whichever gets booted from the team event, for Karen to participate. Nevertheless many fans hope for this to happen because they don't like Vincent.

Blades of Passion

Skating is Art, if you let it be
Record Breaker
Country
France
I don't think USFS is going to sacrifice a good chance of Chen winning individual Gold for a slim chance at team Gold.

Nothing is being sacrificed. Chen can skate both segments in the Team event and then go do it again and win the individual event. That's what Olympic Champions do.

Shoma is not suddenly going to go clean in 3 programs at the Olympics when he can't even have two clean programs at any random competition with no stakes. Shoma has never put down an entirely clean competition once this quad (has he even last quad either? I don’t think so)

He doesn't need to go clean to beat Vincent. And what is this straw-man about needing 3 clean programs at the Olympics?

Your other straw-man about breaking 190 points is also terrible logic. You're only looking at scores on paper, not how judges will react to two skaters in the same competition. Not to mention, Vincent has a history of poor performances, it's more likely he is the one who would falter between the two. And the < calls are waiting for him.

If two women are chosen to skate USFS will 100% be robbing Vincent, not the other way around.

No. It's strategically the best, based on performances at the moment, to split the Ladies. Alysa Liu for the SP where she has the potential 3Axel advantage and Mariah Bell for the LP, where she has the PCS advantage.

Same for Dance, where Chock/Bates have done the better SP of the season, and Hubbell/Donohue have done the better LP.

Last edited:

Cherryy

On the Ice
Shoma is not suddenly going to go clean in 3 programs at the Olympics when he can't even have two clean programs at any random competition with no stakes.
Well, Yuna Kim never had a pristine clean skate until the 2010 Olympics happened, so you never know. Adelina Sotnikova was not particularly known for her reliability - then contrast it with Lipnitskaya that season and see whether it aligns with their performance in the 2014 Olympics. Zagitova was also struggling with her SP the whole of 2017-18 and then went clean at Europeans and 3 programs at the Olympics. Kwan, on the other hand, could be the most reliable skater in the world but wasn't able to deliver at the Olympics.

From all the years I've spent watching figure skating, I'd say that Olympics, moreso than any other competition, primarily tests athletes' mental toughness and resilience. Sure, they have to have the technical goods but it seems like it's a whole different game when it comes to how they have to approach it mentally.

Nothing is being sacrificed. Chen can skate both segments in the Team event and then go do it again and win the individual event. That's what Olympic Champions do.

Uhm, now let's not talk about Nathan doing four programs at the Olympics as if it should be the easiest thing for anyone who's trying to become an Olympic Champion. There will be, again, a LOT of hype around him, given that the USA's ladies have around 0% chance of medalling at the Olympics in the individual event and he's USA's best bet for an individual medal. That whole load of expectation must affect you differently. Skating multiple programs at the biggest stage of one's life, with the expectations of going clean from millions of people from your country, having prepared for this one event for the past four years is something which I believe would be extremely difficult for anyone, be it Nathan Chen, Simone Biles, Yuzuru Hanyu, Yuna Kim or anyone else.

More to the point, I believe that it is USFSA's (or whoever else gets to decide) priority to win the individual medals over team event (although anyone please do point out to me if this is not true).

Given this priority, one should not overexhaust the athletes who are most likely to medal in the individual event.

Now, the only counterargument to this is if someone believes that participation in the team event does not, should not, and isn't even associated with the risk of impacting the individual's performance in the individual event, which as we know happens only a couple days later. But if that is your argument, then well, we'll have to agree to disagree on what can be expected of Olympic Champions.

Spiralgraph

On the Ice
Country
United-States
I know that Chock/Bates and Hubbell/Donohue have stated that they prefer to split the dance programs in the team event. But officially and on the record both teams should declare they they would or are very willing to skate both the SD and FD if in the event the Cvid virus rears its ugly head and sidelines any of those skaters. Otherwise we might find Hawayek and Baker substituting if the official paperwork is messed up. (not that I would mind H/B in the team event!)

mskater93

Record Breaker
Not true. The chance for the US team for winning Gold is ~10%-20%. Silver/Bronze are probably 90%.
The chance for Chen to win the Men's Gold is probably 60%+ right now (maybe higher, but definitely more than 50%). If things go to form, Chen will be *asked* by USFS first whether he wants to split and, if so, which he wants to skate. Whichever team wins Nationals for Dance will get the second choice. If both Chen and whoever wins Dance decides to split, it doesn't matter what the pairs or ladies wanted. Now, if one of them chooses to skate both segments, then the next one down to be asked will be the ladies' champion.

This is *solely* based upon the current hierarchy of individual medal potential, which is how USFS has handled the team assignments through the previous 2 Olympics.

Zhou scores better that you are suggesting here. Yes, he imploded at Worlds last year, but he went back to a musical choice that he is confident in and has the second highest FS score of the season. He clearly worked VERY HARD after Worlds in his stamina and confidence. He's beaten Shoma at least 2X in this quad so far. They are 1-1 this season. I get it. You aren't a Zhou fan. Fine. Let's see how Nationals goes. Maybe you have Brown skate it...

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
No it isn't an even matchup. Vincent was destroyed by Uno at NHK and Uno hasn't reached his potential peak yet with his jump layout for the season. Vincent has no room to improve over what he did at Skate America and likely will not repeat that performance again, as he's now trying to live up to that career-best moment and doesn't have the mental fortitude to do it.

Uh lots of people said the same thing after his World bronze and he’s proven the haters wrong.

Zhou has produced three short programs which are all over 97 points. His season's best is only beat by Chen and the Japanese (Kagiyama/Uno). Kolyada has yet to clear 92, and I'm guessing will just go for one SP quad (and it's not in Russia) so pretty safe bet Zhou can beat that. As far as the FS, only Chen has a better FS than Zhou this season so far.

Chen got 82.89 at Skate America so he's not a 100% SP safe bet either. Even the top skaters aren't guaranteed - e.g. Mishina/Galliamov scored just 73 in Rostelecom/Finlandia earlier this season which could get scored by a lot of teams if they were selected for the SP and performed like that again.

TBH I would put Chen in the SP and Zhou in the FS. The US is playing for silver at best.

Not true. The chance for the US team for winning Gold is ~10%-20%. Silver/Bronze are probably 90%.
The chance for Chen to win the Men's Gold is probably 60%+ right now (maybe higher, but definitely more than 50%). If things go to form, Chen will be *asked* by USFS first whether he wants to split and, if so, which he wants to skate. Whichever team wins Nationals for Dance will get the second choice. If both Chen and whoever wins Dance decides to split, it doesn't matter what the pairs or ladies wanted. Now, if one of them chooses to skate both segments, then the next one down to be asked will be the ladies' champion.

This is *solely* based upon the current hierarchy of individual medal potential, which is how USFS has handled the team assignments through the previous 2 Olympics.

Zhou scores better that you are suggesting here. Yes, he imploded at Worlds last year, but he went back to a musical choice that he is confident in and has the second highest FS score of the season. He clearly worked VERY HARD after Worlds in his stamina and confidence. He's beaten Shoma at least 2X in this quad so far. They are 1-1 this season. I get it. You aren't a Zhou fan. Fine. Let's see how Nationals goes. Maybe you have Brown skate it...

Yeah, I'm not sure it's even 10-20%.

Even if Chen (or Chen and Zhou) competed and held off everyone else in both segments, that would be neutralized by the Russian women winning both segments. I also think Russia's man Kolyada will place higher across both segments than the US' woman. Initially I thought Karen would be doable, but it seems Liu is a much better bet (we'll have to see how Nationals goes of course).

In ice dance, Sinitsina/Katsalapov are being held above the North American teams (which is wrong, but it is what it is), and G/P might even sneak in a placement higher (after all they beat both H/D and C/B in the FS at Worlds last year). Of course, if Sinitsina/Katsalapov don't compete in the team event, perhaps USA can make up ground over Stepanova/Bukin (likely do S/K for the team RD and S/B for the team FD).

Of course, where America's gold hopes will likely fall apart is pairs, where Russia will likely win both segments (or if USA is lucky) lose to Sui/Han. Then of course, depending on how the American pair(s) skates, they could lose ground to Russia thanks to Japanese and Canadian teams.

For USA/Japan to even challenge Russia for gold, they need pretty much everything on their end to go right, as well as disasters from Russia in the shorts (Kolyada bombing, and falls in pairs SP/and ice dance RD) and also need other countries who could help distance Russia from everyone else to mess up and keep the gap closer (e.g. a fall from Gilles/Poirier)

Last edited:

mskater93

Record Breaker
Uh lots of people said the same thing after his World bronze and he’s proven the haters wrong.

Zhou has produced three short programs which are all over 97 points. His season's best is only beat by Chen and the Japanese (Kagiyama/Uno). Kolyada has yet to clear 92, and I'm guessing will just go for one SP quad (and it's not in Russia) so pretty safe bet Zhou can beat that. As far as the FS, only Chen has a better FS than Zhou this season so far.

Chen got 82.89 at Skate America so he's not a 100% SP safe bet either. Even the top skaters aren't guaranteed - e.g. Mishina/Galliamov scored just 73 in Rostelecom/Finlandia earlier this season which could get scored by a lot of teams if they were selected for the SP and performed like that again.

TBH I would put Chen in the SP and Zhou in the FS. The US is playing for silver at best.

Yeah, I'm not sure it's even 10-20%.

Even if Chen (or Chen and Zhou) competed and held off everyone else in both segments, that would be neutralized by the Russian women winning both segments. I also think Russia's man Kolyada will place higher across both segments than the US' woman. Initially I thought Karen would be doable, but it seems Liu is a much better bet (we'll have to see how Nationals goes of course).

In ice dance, Sinitsina/Katsalapov are being held above the North American teams (which is wrong, but it is what it is), and G/P might even sneak in a placement higher (after all they beat both H/D and C/B in the FS at Worlds last year). Of course, if Sinitsina/Katsalapov don't compete in the team event, perhaps USA can make up ground over Stepanova/Bukin (likely do S/K for the team RD and S/B for the team FD).

Of course, where America's gold hopes will likely fall apart is pairs, where Russia will likely win both segments (or if USA is lucky) lose to Sui/Han. Then of course, depending on how the American pair(s) skates, they could lose ground to Russia thanks to Japanese and Canadian teams.

For USA/Japan to even challenge Russia for gold, they need pretty much everything on their end to go right, as well as disasters from Russia in the shorts (Kolyada bombing, and falls in pairs SP/and ice dance RD) and also need other countries who could help distance Russia from everyone else to mess up and keep the gap closer (e.g. a fall from Gilles/Poirier)
I figured ice was slippery when I said 10-20%. If US Men can get big distance over Russia (Mens SP: US, Japan, Canada, someone else, Russia...) and, S/B skate dance (RD: US, Canada, someone, Russia....), pull off a surprise in Ladies SP (Ladies SP: Russia, Japan, US or US, Japan), and Pairs (Russia, China, US...), it could be interesting. If you'll recall, Nagasu pulled off a surprise in the LP in team and S-K/K in pairs as well....

BabySloth

On the Ice
Country
Hungary
What are the rules about the selection of skaters for the Team Event? Do federations have to name who competes and in which program(s) (I know they can only split 2 events) and then stick with it, or can they for example change the competitor(s) for the Free program after the Short is over (of course the countries who make it to the free)?

Sorry if this was asked before.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker

I figured ice was slippery when I said 10-20%. If US Men can get big distance over Russia (Mens SP: US, Japan, Canada, someone else, Russia...) and, S/B skate dance (RD: US, Canada, someone, Russia....), pull off a surprise in Ladies SP (Ladies SP: Russia, Japan, US or US, Japan), and Pairs (Russia, China, US...), it could be interesting. If you'll recall, Nagasu pulled off a surprise in the LP in team and S-K/K in pairs as well....

Oh for sure - like S/k scored 124.91 after issues at Rostelecom (not that you would have known from their 57.55 PCS lol), but that type of error is beatable (all the top North Americans have gotten 125).

I just think Russia has a ways to fall to lose the gold whereas others have to meet or exceed expectations from their entire team to challenge. You would think in disciplines like pairs and maybe women the US/Japan might split segments.

Last edited:

HeadBanger

On the Ice
Country
Canada
What are the rules about the selection of skaters for the Team Event? Do federations have to name who competes and in which program(s) (I know they can only split 2 events) and then stick with it, or can they for example change the competitor(s) for the Free program after the Short is over (of course the countries who make it to the free)?

I don't believe they name the skaters for the free programs until the short has concluded.

I don't imagine there are many surprises. Not sure if there are a provision for if a named skater gets injured

Ziotic

Medalist

They need to have their teams named in advance. For example, Canada wanted gold in 2018 and only substituted one discipline, however at the end they didn’t even need V/M to skate to get the gold, they could have literally skated around the ice for 4 mins and Canada would have still won. But they were unable to sub in W/P to get another team a medal as the roster had already been submitted before the start of the free programs.

**keep in mind V/M actually wanted to do the free and try out their new ending***

jenaj

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I like the team event, too. It rewards countries that are strong in all or most disciplines. Would we see Japan trying to develop pairs and dance teams without it? It gave us one of the most exciting things in 2018 when Mirai did her triple axel. It also gives us more skating to watch.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
They need to have their teams named in advance. For example, Canada wanted gold in 2018 and only substituted one discipline, however at the end they didn’t even need V/M to skate to get the gold, they could have literally skated around the ice for 4 mins and Canada would have still won. But they were unable to sub in W/P to get another team a medal as the roster had already been submitted before the start of the free programs.

**keep in mind V/M actually wanted to do the free and try out their new ending***

Yeah a bit sad about W/P for this but I know the plan was for Canada do everything they could. With W/P likely coming 4th and B/S coming 3rd for Russia it would have closed the gap with Russia about 4 points and risked gold if the others underperformed. But would have been nice!

Similar situation with ROC this Olympics … Makes me wonder if Russia will put S/K in both segments after all to maximize points (health of Nikita be damned and all).

Andrea82

Medalist

February 1, 2022 - 10:00 Final confirmation of Skaters/Couples participating (Team Leaders Meeting Team Event) in the Team Event. The confirmation includes all Skaters/Couples available for participation in the Team Event.

With respect to the “exchange possibility” within a Team the following dates and deadlines apply to confirm the names of Skaters/Couples (possibility of exchanges) who will skate for the Team in the segment in question.

February 3, 2022 - 10:00 Nomination by name of the Skaters participating in the Men Single Skating SP, Ice Dance RD and Pair Skating SP Team Event. February 5, 2022 - 10:00 Nomination by name of the Skaters participating in the Women Single Skating SP Team Event.

For the 5 Teams qualified for the Free Skating/Free Dance Team Event, the NOCs/ISU Members must declare the Men competing for Men FS Team Event immediately (latest about 10 minutes) after the conclusion of the Women SP Team Event.

February 6, 2022 - 11:00 Nomination by name of the Skaters participating in the Men Single Skating FS Team Event

February 6, 2022 – 13:45 Nomination by name of the Skaters participating in the Pair Skating FS, Ice Dance FD and Women Single Skating FS Team Event

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker

He doesn't need to go clean to beat Vincent. And what is this straw-man about needing 3 clean programs at the Olympics?

Your other straw-man about breaking 190 points is also terrible logic. You're only looking at scores on paper, not how judges will react to two skaters in the same competition. Not to mention, Vincent has a history of poor performances, it's more likely he is the one who would falter between the two. And the < calls are waiting for him.

No. It's strategically the best, based on performances at the moment, to split the Ladies. Alysa Liu for the SP where she has the potential 3Axel advantage and Mariah Bell for the LP, where she has the PCS advantage.

Same for Dance, where Chock/Bates have done the better SP of the season, and Hubbell/Donohue have done the better LP.

Is that why Volosozhar/Trankov only did the team SP in 2014 and Hanyu only did the team SP in 2018? :rolleye:

Also don't give me that "history of poor performances" nonsense. This season, Zhou has more than proven himself to be great. You could go down the line of skaters' competition histories and pick out bad performances (including Chen's 2018 Olympic SPs which clearly don't compare to his reliability and ability in 2022). I only care what a skater is recently doing, and so should the selection team if they want to be smart about it.

Speaking of being smart about this... really, Mariah Bell for the LP?! I thought you said you wanted the US to win. I don't understand your rationale for putting in Nathan Chen in both segments, suggesting Zhou, who is in form, could cost them points - meanwhile you suggest Mariah Bell who (if she makes it out of Nationals) could tank the US, given she's had scores as low as 129 and 112 this season in the FS. You propose Bell who has been so wildly consistent in the FS this season - and has a "history of poor performances" - and yet, Zhou has had 3/3 strong SPs and 2/3 strong FSs. If this was 2019 Mariah Bell who could pull 130+ consistently, sure, but it would be a massive gamble (way more than a gamble compared to putting Zhou in).

I'm actually shocked you would put in Mariah over your beloved Karen. Karen's PCS potential is much higher. Although I suppose it would have been hypocritical to suggest Karen, given "the < calls are waiting" for her.

Last edited:

Blades of Passion

Record Breaker
Country
France
Such a load of crap, as usual. Zhou has not at all "proven" himself to be reliable. He's had ONE performance in the past 3 years that says "I might be able to beat a top-form Shoma" and he did poorly in his most recent LP! And it's absolutely true that Shoma has not yet maximized his extremely difficult jump layout this season, whereas Zhou has. What he did at Skate America is the end game for the season. He's not suddenly going to be adding in a Quad Loop, or a +3Lo combo, or be able to produce +5 GOE jumps.

Nathan Chen skating both segments is 100% factually the best chance of USA winning the Team Gold. There is NO arguing against that. This is a competition. The best team needs to be selected. Predict Zhou to win the Men's singles event, or even the Silver, if you think he's so reliable and capable. But you won't. Because you know the truth and are just being annoying.

USA is not "Silver at best" in the Team event. There is a definite chance to win. Russia does not have consistent Men, and never-say-never about what can randomly happen in other disciplines. Also, the reality of politics needs to be understood. Russia wants as many Gold medals as possible. They will have a "chat" with the technical specialist if it looks like their Team Gold is in jeopardy. Zhou WILL be given every call possible, if he is deemed to be a threat. They can't do that to Nathan Chen. He's untouchable...because he rotates his jumps.

Uhm, now let's not talk about Nathan doing four programs at the Olympics as if it should be the easiest thing for anyone who's trying to become an Olympic Champion.

People in EVERY other sport have to compete more at the Olympics. Everyone needs to get their heads out of their butts. Skating 4 programs at an Olympics should be completely normal, if you have the opportunity to do it.

Not to mention, Nathan ALREADY does this in training. There's no extra strain on the body than what's already happening. Having the opportunity to compete a LP on Olympic Ice before the individual event should be seen as a helpful experience!! He most likely doesn't need to do his hardest jump layout in the Team LP to win that segment anyway. He's gifted extremely high PCS and more GOE than he deserves, so he can leave out a Quad and still beat anyone else.

Speaking of being smart about this... really, Mariah Bell for the LP?! I thought you said you wanted the US to win.

She has the best LP this season from any USA woman. Her skating is much more mature than Alysa's and definitely deserves higher PCS. The advantage of a 3Axel between the SP and LP is exactly the same, but PCS is worth 2x as much in the LP. Thus, Alysa has the potential advantage in the SP because of the 3Axel base value, but in the LP she falls behind.

Colonel Green

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
People in EVERY other sport have to compete more at the Olympics. Everyone needs to get their heads out of their butts. Skating 4 programs at an Olympics should be completely normal, if you have the opportunity to do it.
Every sport has its own physical requirements, etc.

Whether you think it "should" be completely normal, skaters tend to prefer not to. Nathan has already expressed his preference on this point in the previous Games.

Blades of Passion

Record Breaker
Country
France
Every sport has its own physical requirements

Skating 4 programs over the course of a week, and never more than 1 in a single day, is absolutely not more difficult than what athletes in other sports do at the Olympics. That's already far less than what the skaters already do in training!! Time to get real. This notion that it's too difficult is full absurdity.

Not to mention, there are competitors who already HAVE done this, and performed very well. Everyone in skating would do it if there were 2 individual medals on the line and if it was required to compete a SP + LP in the 1st event to qualify to the more prestigious event afterward. It's simply not become the norm yet. The team event needs to be treated more seriously.