2022 Olympics Team Event Day1: Rhythm Dance | Page 28 | Golden Skate

2022 Olympics Team Event Day1: Rhythm Dance

IceDancingQueen

Final Flight
Piper and Paul need to clean things up pronto.

They cannot be pleased to finish 4th in an event that did not include Chock/Bates and the French. A really good team is not going to make the final flight of the free dance, and they don't want it to be them.
Im sad they are in 4th but hopefully this performance allowed them to get all their nerves out as to me they were tentative today. This might just give them the push they need for the individual event. They are a bit like H/D in that way where if they don’t have a strong skate in the rhythm they usually come back in the FD or vice versa. When they won the bronze in Stockholm they skated so freely and like they really believed in the story they were telling so if they have a bit more gumption next week they will hopefully do better!

labgoat

Done updating WJC rewatches!
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
It seems that @SnowWhite is referring to SinKats running into teams in warmup before and being 'more in the wrong.' And that Sinkats once ran into V/M, causing a bruise on Tessa's leg. I did not see this incident, so I'm only repeating @SnowWhite's comments.
Thanks for clarifying cause I didn't remember VM and HD ever colliding.
And it's It's not like those two haven't run into people multiple times in warmup before and been the ones more at fault. I remember they ran into V/M so hard at NHK a few seasons ago that there was a visible bruise on Tessa's leg. These things happen. It's not on purpose.
Both teams skate with an impressive amount of speed covering a lot of ice. This being the Olympics means that they were both concentrating on warming up their elements. In this case HD just completed an end-to-end step sequence and SK a choreography part. It is a matter of both teams ending up in the same place at the same time, not a deliberate run at one team. Both were probably very focused on being on the correct edges and got a bit too close. I did hear Zack give a warning shout as they got close and tapped Victoria to add some distance between them so both teams could continue safely. It is disruptive to have a close call on warmup and understandable that Nikita made a face afterward. Both teams, to their credit, shook it off and continued their warmup preparations. I saw nothing more than this.

Last edited:

reneerose

Final Flight
I don't think Piper and Paul were tentative, I think the judges just weren't on board with them. I know the rhythm pattern is set for this Games, but their 2018 Olympics programs were maybe more Olympic-ky? I personally love their free dance this season more than their short dance.

elektra blue

mother of skaters
Record Breaker
Country
Italy
ice dance is my second favourite discipline and i know nothing of it so i'll keep my comments silly and shallow (so what's new?)

- oh look, Katharina and Tim with an E bringing cringe to Beijing. really? really.

- Kazakova/Reviya grew up

- i need a tour of Oleksandra's closet

- whatever Liu Xinyu is selling i'm buying it

- i liked Piper's old costume more, i feel sir Elton would agree with me.

- Charlene, Marco and Barbara are our national treasures

DancingCactus

Final Flight
I don't think Piper and Paul were tentative, I think the judges just weren't on board with them. I know the rhythm pattern is set for this Games, but their 2018 Olympics programs were maybe more Olympic-ky? I personally love their free dance this season more than their short dance.

If that's the reason they got lowballed, the judges can suck a lemon. They add a nice splash of colour and originality to the RD this season, with all the black clothes and leggins.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
If that's the reason they got lowballed, the judges can suck a lemon. They add a nice splash of colour and originality to the RD this season, with all the black clothes and leggins.
The reason for the black clothes is that the RD theme is MIDNIGHT BLUES. Pumpkin-colored costumes sure are a departure from the main theme. Maybe that's what the judges didn't like.

mskater93

Record Breaker
They got hit with a couple low levels. The "judges" didn't lowball them. Their PCS was 3rd best. Italian team beat them on TES (and had the highest BV of any team)

Bahar

Rinkside
Hi everyone, I missed the team event and I cant find replays anywhere. Is there a link where I can watch the RD, if so, could you please share it? Thanks :)

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
It is kind of unfortunate we don't have a general post for the team event. It is unfortunate about the crash. HD seem to be involved more than others but that is skating. Unfortunate for all involved. We can't say if there was malice. But HD and the Italians look good and are taking advantage of this event. While SK and GP look in trouble. SK in particular with the injury to the back. Unfortunate for Canada but almost the worst scenario happened to them in each event including the rhythm dance. A point here and there matters. Losing 1 or 2 expected points in RD and a huge amount in men will leave them out of the finals short of a miracle from Madi. But USA is on fire. They look pretty good for gold especially with the Russian men in a quandry.

GoneWithTheWind

On the Ice
Country
United-Kingdom
Hi everyone, I missed the team event and I cant find replays anywhere. Is there a link where I can watch the RD, if so, could you please share it? Thanks :)
There's links to a couple of official streams on the first page of this thread which may now have replays (thanks to @CaroLiza_fan and @siberia82 for providing these!)

Links to lots of streams from different countries can be also found here:
https://www.soyouwanttowatchfs.com/blog/2022-winter-olympics-info-amp-streaming

Official Olympic steam/replay here (but you'll need a VPN to India, Bangladesh, Bhutan, Maldives, Nepal, Pakistan, or Sri Lanka)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rPqh_cEJPSY

Hope you find one that's watchable for you!

ETA: @labgoat is compiling videos in their amazing videos thread too!

Bahar

Rinkside
There's links to a couple of official streams on the first page of this thread which may now have replays (thanks to @CaroLiza_fan and @siberia82 for providing these!)

Links to lots of streams from different countries can be also found here:
https://www.soyouwanttowatchfs.com/blog/2022-winter-olympics-info-amp-streaming

Official Olympic steam/replay here (but you'll need a VPN to India, Bangladesh, Bhutan, Maldives, Nepal, Pakistan, or Sri Lanka)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rPqh_cEJPSY

Hope you find one that's watchable for you!
Thank you sooo much :)

DancingCactus

Final Flight
The reason for the black clothes is that the RD theme is MIDNIGHT BLUES. Pumpkin-colored costumes sure are a departure from the main theme. Maybe that's what the judges didn't like.
Hip hop or the freaking Backstreet Boys some dance to also doesn't have anything to do with blues, so that's not really an argument, I think.

Demandred

On the Ice
Hubbell and Donohue were fantastic, a well deserved win for them. Team USA is keeping this event much closer than I expected, hopefully the USA will do well in the ladies short too and we will have a real fight for the gold in free program.

Last edited:

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
Watched the RD again but there's so many areas where S/K messed up. His 2nd set of twizzles is very obviously shaky, he has an awkward exit to a twizzle after their MB section that needed covering up (a couple seconds after the shoulder shimmy), the stumble in the MiSt (which some judges gave a +3?!).

Interesting both places with real issues were Vika in front of Nikita "shielding" the mistake a bit on the twizzles and the MiSt stumble.

Either way, it's absolutely insane that they had the 2nd highest scored twizzles when the ones from the Italians and Chinese were much better.

brigit66

On the Ice
Who gave 3+ goe for that super MiSt- of course, polish judge Sobkow. Małgosiu, thank you- you make us polish people pride. And the second one is american - big lmao

litenkyckling

Final Flight
I love how this event has shaken things up. Everything we thought we knew going into this may no longer be the case! I did see that S/K have decided to do the FD after this result - I imagine RusFed will be a bit shaken being in 2nd place and know that D/S will not be able to beat the USA. But will his back hold out doing 4 programmes? Is it worth the team gold to throw away a potential individual one?

I also love the changes that H/D have made since the GP - those edges before the slide in the midline steps? Ugh, they just ooze power and control.

I was also excited to see K/R here - they really have had the worst luck and so I hope that they have all of it going forward. I really hope we see their horror FD at the Olympics as it's such a stand out.

litenkyckling

Final Flight
Watched the RD again but there's so many areas where S/K messed up. His 2nd set of twizzles is very obviously shaky, he has an awkward exit to a twizzle after their MB section that needed covering up (a couple seconds after the shoulder shimmy), the stumble in the MiSt (which some judges gave a +3?!).

Interesting both places with real issues were Vika in front of Nikita "shielding" the mistake a bit on the twizzles and the MiSt stumble.

Either way, it's absolutely insane that they had the 2nd highest scored twizzles when the ones from the Italians and Chinese were much better.
It's so funny because I watched this morning on the BBC and Robin Cousins and Kat (Downe?) didn't say anything about the steps, only that it would take the lead and their edges were great. I saw the stumble and thought huh - maybe new choreo? Then in the afternoon I rewatched (when more awake) on Eurosport and Chris instantly said that it was an error and they can't possibly be in first place after some stumbles. I know we sometimes dunk on Chris - but his commentary here definitely spot on.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Hip hop or the freaking Backstreet Boys some dance to also doesn't have anything to do with blues, so that's not really an argument, I think.
Those rhythms qualify as street dance, one of the Midnight Blues options. Elton John songs in orange clothing doesn't qualify as blues or street dance. It's quirky, and in the past the judges haven't liked G/P's quirky tongue-in-cheek stuff. That's why they switched to schmaltz, and it's paid off the last couple of years. Beats me why they returned to a style that doesn't appeal much to judges who are mostly 40-50 years old. Maybe it's because this is their final year and they couldn't resist going out in their own style.