2022 Skate America Pairs Short Program | Page 13 | Golden Skate

2022 Skate America Pairs Short Program

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
I think they are.
Yep SD/D are Canada's best and really only hope. They need to get Level4's on everything though which they didn't, a bit more speed a d a bit more presence. But they won't beat Knerim Fraser in the US and as the Americans are the defending world champs - forget Russia was at worlds or here. The key for them is to gain more confidence, speed and theperformance level will increase exponentially as well. I do think they deserved first here but realistically the Americans on paper were a sure thing. But ice is slippery and maybe this could be the break out team?

Ziotic

Medalist
Yep SD/D are Canada's best and really only hope. They need to get Level4's on everything though which they didn't, a bit more speed a d a bit more presence. But they won't beat Knerim Fraser in the US and as the Americans are the defending world champs - forget Russia was at worlds or here. The key for them is to gain more confidence, speed and theperformance level will increase exponentially as well. I do think they deserved first here but realistically the Americans on paper were a sure thing. But ice is slippery and maybe this could be the break out team?
Only hope for what exactly?

SD/D have a ton of presence. I literally don’t know what you were watching yesterday for you to say that.

M/M have a lot of potential but are super young and have only been together for about a year, plus she’s clearly still growing.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
Just popping in live from Norwood to say that our friend @4everchan did not exaggerate as to M. Deschamps’ appeal. It’s nice to see a grown man on the ice once in a while, if you take my meaning. Among other things, he has what I’d describe as a “come hither” smile :)
I don't understand any of these comments. But I did like the Canadians. They surprised me. Maybe a bit more speed is necessary but Iwould have had them in first. But hard to beat the WC in their country.

Silver Ice

On the Ice
I love Alexa and Brandon's costumes but I am not sure what they have to do with the program - just saying. I think being WC gives them boost in confidence and with the judges.
Yeah I agree with the confidence. I guess the costumes are supposed to represent stranger things, but I did not get that until I read it somewhere. I don’t think it’s clear with the song they chose. Sure, it’s in stranger things but I just thought they were doing a nod to 80s music and didn’t recognize theme.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
K/F skated much faster than SD/D. They also had some interesting transitions, their 3f throw was more difficult than the 3lo throw SD/D did.

I thought K/F should have had even higher PCS scores than they actually got. They got 9s from 4 judges (MEX, ITA, SWE, LTU), and all the rest of the scores were 8s, including many 8.75s.

SD/D got no 9s but received 7s from four judges (USA, CAN, SWE, LTU); all the rest were low to mid 8s (no 8.75)

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
Are you saying that the CAN judge scored the SD/D as low as the USA judge did? Interesting, insn't it?

Ziotic

Medalist
Also for all those complaining K/F are better technically, the base value difference in the teams was 0.7, so basically negligible when GOE is taken into account.

They two points they are ahead are basically exclusively PCS.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
... K/F needs at least better costumes... These costumes are too busy and distracting. Oh, it was too much for me- music and costumes do not go hand to hand... Though, technically they were the best.
Happy for Canadians! They were fabulous.
What sadly is lost on many skating teams (coaches/choreo/skaters et al) is costumes should add to the program, accentuate the teme ormood and not distract. Also they must look at how things read not only close up but from the stands. Small details are often lost, look busy or have little impact or sometimes just blend it. Wesley Chiu's attempt to the Vangogh artsy look failed because you could not see the paint splotches unless you were close up.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Are you saying that the CAN judge scored the SD/D as low as the USA judge did? Interesting, insn't it?
Not quite. The US judge gave SD/D all 7s and his scores would have been thrown out. The Canadian judge scores for SD/D were 7.75 7.75 8.00; he scored K/F 8.50 8.25 8.25.

BTW, the lowest scores for K/F came from the US judge:
8.50 8.00 8.25---those scores would have been thrown out, too.
Looking at the scores for the other skaters, it appears that the US judge is a low scorer.

skatesofgold

On the Ice
Country
United-States
Yeah I agree with the confidence. I guess the costumes are supposed to represent stranger things, but I did not get that until I read it somewhere. I don’t think it’s clear with the song they chose. Sure, it’s in stranger things but I just thought they were doing a nod to 80s music and didn’t recognize theme.
I've seen Stranger Things and it was obvious that they were doing a program inspired by Stranger Things. I also knew that the version of Separate Ways they are using is from the show.