2022 U.S. Nationals: Senior Men's Free Skate | Page 83 | Golden Skate

2022 U.S. Nationals: Senior Men's Free Skate

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I have a feeling that he retires after Worlds. He is 27 and has no realistic chance of being the U.S. Champion again.
Maybe he likes to skate. If he doesn’t, perhaps he should consider an acting career.

Maybe he likes to compete.

I just don’t understand this whole speculation about skaters retiring is. If all the skaters retired who had no chance of winning the National championship we would have 3, maybe 4 skaters at Nationals every year.

mrrice

Record Breaker
Maybe he likes to skate. If he doesn’t, perhaps he should consider an acting career.

Maybe he likes to compete.

I just don’t understand this whole speculation about skaters retiring is. If all the skaters retired who had no chance of winning the National championship we would have 3, maybe 4 skaters at Nationals every year.
I love this post. People often ask Serena Williams why she still plays. She's rich, she has a beautiful daughter, and a gorgeous husband. She has everything a person needs to be happy. I kept performing with my college marching band until I turned 30. I loved it and I performed as long as my body could handle it. That's when I started coaching and judging. Jason clearly loves performing and his fans love seeing him out there

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Malinin didn’t get a chance to wow us in the Junior Grand Prix Finals. He went with “safer” layouts to win gold at both of his events and then his goal was go all out, in the finals. He didn’t get that chance due to the cancellation of that event. He was capable of surpassing Jason’s score at that event.

He can score 500 in a junior event and it will not count. USFS, rightly or wrongly, does not count Junior events in the selection proceedings. I know 500 is not possible but you get where I’m going.

Per the USFS criteria for Olympic selection, moonvine is wrong on this point.
And for posterity, I think it is worth correcting her misinformation even at this very late date.
(Especially since moonvine repeatedly urged others to read the criteria -- but apparently she herself overlooked or forgot part of what the criteria actually said.)

Junior Grand Prix Final (which did not take place) as well as the seven individual Junior Grand Prix events (which did take place) DID count toward the USFS criteria -- per Sections 1.2.1 and 1.2.2 of the criteria.
They were the lowest-priority events that were listed in the criteria, but they did count for something.

(Because I was in the arena for Nats, I only now have gotten around to reading this thread in entirety.
Per the criteria, the USFS committee presumably did take JGPs into consideration. The purpose of this post is not to suggest that the committee did not.)

Last edited: