2022 Worlds Pre-Game Chat | Page 14 | Golden Skate

2022 Worlds Pre-Game Chat

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
In the previous post-Olympic Worlds 2018 there were many poor LPs after a long season: Zagitova, Kostner, Boyang, Zhou... There was no GP Final this season, do you think the skaters have more energy and motivation now?
I dont skate nor do I compete seriously. But I have heard it said that long and tiring seasons under normal circumstances are very tough and exausting mentally and Physically. I cant imagine what things have been like for them with the pandemic, and all the controvery. I volunteer to take all team Asia and Team USA on a cruise to see calving glaciers in Alaska's Glacier Bay National park May 7th. Dutch treat of course. LOL! Holland America...Dutch treat....get it? So much for my joke skills. :palmf:

Sai Bon

Final Flight
Country
New-Zealand
So happy you got to go back to Japan and see mum! It looks so beautiful...would love to go there some day. If you see my adopted grand daughter Ruriko, say Hi for me! I dont suppose you will be going to the Tokyo Motorcycle show? She will be there....would love to see so much there....Cherry Blossom time? Will be cheering for all of Team Japan......
View attachment 5077
Amazing photo, CoyoteChris! Not a motorcycling fan, I'm afraid. But yes, it's cherry blossom time! Excited about Worlds, but I won't be going out and enjoying myself. Being from NZ, where social distancing is still the norm, leaving the house in Tokyo is a terrifying experience. Everyone wears masks and there is hand sanitizer everywhere, but distancing is impossible on the street and public transport.

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
Amazing photo, CoyoteChris! Not a motorcycling fan, I'm afraid. But yes, it's cherry blossom time! Excited about Worlds, but I won't be going out and enjoying myself. Being from NZ, where social distancing is still the norm, leaving the house in Tokyo is a terrifying experience. Everyone wears masks and there is hand sanitizer everywhere, but distancing is impossible on the street and public transport.
I am so sorry. I still wear a mask because I have chronic obstructive pulminary desease, but only inside. I was saddened to learn reading the Wall street Journal that New Z. has issues with anti maskers/anti vaxers.....
Japan is very interesting. As Ruriko (on youtube) rides her test bikes around Japan and gives her layperson's opinions of them, her helmet camera gives a sense of what riding in Japan is like, Urban and rural....I would love to ride the ferry system there, and of course here is WA we have our own ferry system....and Japan seems to have lots of wonderful small cafes and eateries.
There is a long history of Japan and the US sharing cherry trees of all sorts of varieties.....
1647829885713.png

BlissfulSynergy

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
In TSL's most recent episode DL comments on some of what the feeling is in the skating community regarding upcoming Worlds in Montpelier, sans the Russian and Chinese athletes. There's also additional news/ chatter that the sanctions against Russia, including their athletes' inability to compete next season, will remain in force. And there are questions about electing someone to replace Lakernik's position with the ISU.

Apparently, Morisi K (of Georgia) will be competing at Worlds, despite being trained by Russian coaches. DL said Morisi has been training in Italy recently, rather than in Russia. It isn't known who will be coaching him at rinkside.

Dawn825

Medalist
In TSL's most recent episode...
There's also additional news/ chatter that the sanctions against Russia, including their athletes' inability to compete next season, will remain in force. And there are questions about electing someone to replace Lakernik's position with the ISU.
I think its wishful thinking on his part tbh. A lot can and will change in the world in the next 6 month's, there's no way of predicting the state of the sanctions come next season. As for Lakernik, we know someone or several someone are proposing a rule change to let him stay on. We do not know of any conspiracy among other someones to block it. DL is not reporting that he's heard of such a plan, only that perhaps he hopes there will be. As do I but I'm certainly not holding my breath.

Ziotic

Medalist
I don’t see sanctions being lifted in the next 3-6 months which would mean no GP for Russia/ Belarus

Perhaps they may get to participate in the back half of the season Euro/ Worlds, but I highly doubt we see them in the GP.

I would also say it’s even less likely if they wear “Z” gear during their national competitions as well. Which seems in line with what we’ve been seeing at rallies so far.

skylark

Gazing at a Glorious Great Lakes sunset
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I would also say it’s even less likely if they wear “Z” gear during their national competitions as well. Which seems in line with what we’ve been seeing at rallies so far.

What is "Z" gear? Is there a link? Or maybe a quick explanation is quicker?

lariko

Medalist
Country
Canada
Apparently, Morisi K (of Georgia) will be competing at Worlds, despite being trained by Russian coaches.
His was bred, born, raised, lived and trained in Moscow all his life. :scratch2: Same goes for some other skaters participating. I hope ISU starts looking asap into allowing flag switches or independent category for competitors. None of it would have happened if the skaters didn't represent countries, but only themselves.

figureskatingandrainbows

As Kao Miura once said, スケートって難しい
Record Breaker
Country
Olympic
Coach situation for American women team remains mystery. According to Jackie Wong notes:

"Alysa Liu is here with Phillip DiGuglielmo; Mariah Bell is here without coaches"

What's happening?
I saw Mariah leaving Raf, as he seems to have eyes for no one but Nathan and Ilia but at this point I am so confused by Alysa's coaching situation. At least it seems to be working out, the 3A has been going really well in practice so far.

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Coach situation for American women team remains mystery. According to Jackie Wong notes:

"Alysa Liu is here with Phillip DiGuglielmo; Mariah Bell is here without coaches"

What's happening?

Philip DiGuglielmo is a senior ranked coach at St. Moritz, Alysa's skating club.

I believe she has been training in the Bay Area since the Olympics. although I don't follow her, so I could be wrong.

Mariah has never been Raf's priority, IMO, and no way he was going if Nathan wasn't. I presume Adam had previous commitments. I hope she does have someone with her in the KnC.

Gg Gg

On the Ice
I'm sorry but after the war it's possible that Russia and other countries began to watch 'international' associations like COI, ISU.... it's possible to see something unthinkible, if not now or this year in the next. Sorry but push have his pull.