2022 Worlds Pre-Game Chat | Page 15 | Golden Skate

2022 Worlds Pre-Game Chat

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
I am a bit melancholy about 2022 worlds. Excited but with Nathan Hanyu the Russians and Chinese missing while we cn sy it is who shows up or is allowed to compete that counts it is hard to take without so many top skaters regardless of reason. Hoping for redemption from Roman, Mana, Gilles Poirier Expecting Japan to get itsfirst world pairstitleif not some happy Americans. Cakewalk in dance for the French. with two US on the podium.Second tier ladies will podium but wonderful to watch US Japana, Korea and Loena

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
Thanks for the explanation! Never heard about this Z business . Dont know what a SinKat is but if T/M is who I think it is, and they are supporting this invasion, they must be thinking about retirement from Free World comps. I think the IOC and ISU are going to have to make tough decisions if pics of little babies killed by WMD make it to the internet......not that is anything more terrible than being torn apart by high explosives....I just know what I am gonna do at SA if any pro war skaters who show up under any flag.

ptvvibezz

MK forever
Final Flight
Country
United-States
Thanks for the explanation! Never heard about this Z business . Dont know what a SinKat is but if T/M is who I think it is, and they are supporting this invasion, they must be thinking about retirement from Free World comps. I think the IOC and ISU are going to have to make tough decisions if pics of little babies killed by WMD make it to the internet......not that is anything more terrible than being torn apart by high explosives....I just know what I am gonna do at SA if any pro war skaters who show up under any flag.
SinKats is the abbreviation for the ice dance team of Victoria Sinitsina and Nikita Katsalapov. The thing that gets me about Tarasova and Morozov being at the rally is that their coach's wife (Tatiana Volosozhar) is Ukrainian.

cheerknithanson

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Without the Russian ladies there, it’s going to be anyone game. While I’ll miss them at worlds, it’ll be interesting to see who will medal.

16Olympics

On the Ice
Philip DiGuglielmo is a senior ranked coach at St. Moritz, Alysa's skating club.

I believe she has been training in the Bay Area since the Olympics. although I don't follow her, so I could be wrong.

Mariah has never been Raf's priority, IMO, and no way he was going if Nathan wasn't. I presume Adam had previous commitments. I hope she does have someone with her in the KnC.
Maybe Raf's wife Vera or Mickhail Brezina will go with Mariah?

lariko

Medalist
Country
Canada
Without the Russian ladies there, it’s going to be anyone game. While I’ll miss them at worlds, it’ll be interesting to see who will medal.
The Japanese, who else? Unless there is a push from other feds to make hay while the sun shines on the scale that would make Tutberidze take notes. Same in men singles. Maybe an odd Korean. Basically, assuming Russian elimination for the duration of the quad, singles is going to become a NEA game this quad unless SEA catches up or something.

Last edited:

ptvvibezz

MK forever
Final Flight
Country
United-States
The Japanese, who else? Unless there is a push from other feds to make hay while the sun shines on the scale that would make Tutberidze take notes. Same in men singles. Maybe an odd Korean. Basically, assuming Russian elimination for the duration of the quad, singles is going to become a NEA game this quad unless SEA catches up or something.
Young You, Haein Lee, and Alysa Liu are some names I can think of who could be in be in contention.

lariko

Medalist
Country
Canada
Young You, Haein Lee, and Alysa Liu are some names I can think of who could be in be in contention.
Hence, odd Korean addendum. Hence the 'unless there is a fed push on the scale...' For Liu to get on the podium she needs a push for her technical and PCS shortcomings compared to the Japanese/Koreans to be overlooked. Fed willing, it would happen. Fed not invested, it won't. I sure hope that all those so ecstatic about fair judgment will hold on to that euphoria when podiums will become inaccessible to anyone but Japan for four years running. Or maybe States and Japan would split it down the middle to preserve the illusion of competition. :coffee:

Last edited:

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I like them, but if no one withdraws, it wouldn't seem right to kick H/B off the team since they skated well at the Olympics. Hubbell/Donahue will be retired next year so G/P will move up to at least #3, I assume.
It would neither seem right nor be right.

skylark

Gazing at a Glorious Great Lakes sunset
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I'm expecting and hoping that this sort of calculation about who might or could medal may be overridden by actual skating qualities.

And I'm hoping for a renewed openness to consider athleticism and artistry as two equal components in figure skating programs.

Anything is possible! And that's part of what makes this Worlds a breath of fresh air.

skylark

Gazing at a Glorious Great Lakes sunset
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
blue_idealist said:
I like them, but if no one withdraws, it wouldn't seem right to kick H/B off the team since they skated well at the Olympics. Hubbell/Donahue will be retired next year so G/P will move up to at least #3, I assume.

It would neither seem right nor be right.
And fortunately, it isn't how the USFS operates.

lariko

Medalist
Country
Canada
I'm expecting and hoping that this sort of calculation about who might or could medal may be overridden by actual skating qualities.

And I'm hoping for a renewed openness to consider athleticism and artistry as two equal components in figure skating programs.

Anything is possible! And that's part of what makes this Worlds a breath of fresh air.
I really find the expectation that 'anything' could happen naïve. Imo, there is only two viable scenarios that I have described, that are entirely predictable, with the diversity in medalists being reduced, Europe shut out and turn around at the top slowed down even further. This is professional sport in need of funds, not a sports movie or fanfiction. Seniors would become so dull...

Last edited:

skatingiscool

On the Ice
Young You. Young You has the best practice so far.

You: 3S, 1Lo, 3Lo, 3Lo, 3F, 3F, 3Lz3T, 3Lz3T, 2A, 3A(ur,step), 3Lz1Eu2S, 3Lz1Eu3S, 2A3T, runthru (3A(ur?), 3Lz3T, 3Lo, 2A, 3Lz1Eu3S, 2A3T(q?), 3F), 3A, 3Lz3T, 2A3T

Higuchi: 2S, 3S, 3Lo(step), 3Lo2T2Lo, 1F, 1F, 3F(e?), 1Lz, 3Lz, runthru (1A, 3Lz3T(q?), 3S, 2A, 3Lz3T(ur?), 3Lo(fall), 3F), 3Lo2T1Eu, 1Lz, 3Lz3T, 1Lz, 3Lz3T, 3Lz3T, 3Lo(fall), 1Lo, 3Lo, 3Lo2T2Lo, 3F, 3S

Sakamoto: 2A, 2A, 3Lz(e?), 3Lz(e?), 3F, 3F3T, 3F3T, 3Lz, 2A, 3F(fall), 3F(step), 3F3T, 3Lz(hangs on), runthru (2A, 3Lz(e?), 3F(turn)1T), 3F3T, 3F, 3F, 3F, 3F(hangs on), 3F(step), 3F3T, 3F3T

skatingiscool

On the Ice
no odd canadian woman is going to medal at this event

I don't think Canadian woman can crack to top 5. Jackie Wong is at every practice in France right now. Here is his latest podium prediction

GOLD Kaori Sakamoto JPN
SILVER Wakaba Higuchi JPN
BRONZE Alysa Liu USA
4. Young You KOR

5. Loena Hendrickx BEL