2023-24 Canadian Figure Skating | Page 91 | Golden Skate

2023-24 Canadian Figure Skating

rain

Record Breaker
I can't help but wonder if it wouldn't be more advantageous to Roman to concentrate on trying to become known as a PCS skater like Jason Brown or Deniss Vasiljevs. At this point I just don't see him becoming consistent enough with the jumps to challenge for the tippy top of the podium, but I do think he has wonderful artistic qualities, great spins etc. that could cement his place as an artistic favourite, if he could stop making so many mistakes on the jumping passes. Unlike the two other skaters mentioned he can actually do a quad, so that's a bonus for him.

Realistically, he can't do the jump content he has now in competition, so I don't ever see him getting Adam, Shoma, Ilia, Yuma jump content. Maybe a shift in his training focus to becoming a PCS skater is the way to go. Just a thought.

BearryBear

On the Ice
Country
Canada
She needs an attitude adjustment imho. Sorry. Her interview after her long with CBC Sports was not setting an example for other young skaters. Suck it up for interviews as you were trained by Skate Canada. Let out the frustration afterward. Just saying.

Her comments all season have been pretty negative. I wouldn't even be surprised if she doesn't come back next season. It's really unfortunate because she had so much potential and she could have been so much more with a better coach.

rain

Record Breaker
Her comments all season have been pretty negative. I wouldn't even be surprised if she doesn't come back next season. It's really unfortunate because she had so much potential and she could have been so much more with a better coach.
I think people often over-scrutinize athletes' comments.

That said, Maddie has not appeared to me to even like skating at all this season or last. She consistently looks either frustrated, disappointed or angry, or a combination of all three. I think she needs to figure out what her motivation is and have a little fun. That was what I liked about her to begin with — she looked like she LOVED competing. She had that no-holds-barred, why not try it gumption. If she no longer wants to be doing skating, life is too short. I'd love to see her find some joy again on the ice.

Colonel Green

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
I can't help but wonder if it wouldn't be more advantageous to Roman to concentrate on trying to become known as a PCS skater like Jason Brown or Deniss Vasiljevs. At this point I just don't see him becoming consistent enough with the jumps to challenge for the tippy top of the podium, but I do think he has wonderful artistic qualities, great spins etc. that could cement his place as an artistic favourite, if he could stop making so many mistakes on the jumping passes. Unlike the two other skaters mentioned he can actually do a quad, so that's a bonus for him.

Realistically, he can't do the jump content he has now in competition, so I don't ever see him getting Adam, Shoma, Ilia, Yuma jump content. Maybe a shift in his training focus to becoming a PCS skater is the way to go. Just a thought.
That approach wouldn't work for him because he doesn't have reliable triples and struggles with what (at this level) should be basic jump combinations.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
On the European Criterium site, there are four Canadian entries listed:

Junior Women: Stavrina Aranitis (5th at Jr Nationals)
Novice Women: Ksenia Krouzkevitch, Lia Cho, Sandrine Blais (entire Novice Nationals podium)
I really like Stavrina !!!! Happy they are giving her this opportunity.

rain

Record Breaker
That approach wouldn't work for him because he doesn't have reliable triples and struggles with what (at this level) should be basic jump combinations.
I think though that refocusing away from the jump content could actually help with those issues.

saine

Medalist
Country
Canada
I think though that refocusing away from the jump content could actually help with those issues.
I wish there were more ice shows in Canada for Roman to do. He's popular for a reason and it's a shame he doesn't have more of an outlet for performing without the competition aspect. From his vlogs, he's really into the creative aspects of his programs. I'd like to see what he'd do with choreographing programs for other skaters (depending on the music choices, please no sad boi!)

I have no idea if it would help his jump issues, it's more what I'd like to see.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
I just watched the finals of women's curling WC which was in Nova Scotia.

The losing team, Switzerland said : I have never played for an audience as big and as loud... We would have liked to win but this was cool!

So I guess, Canadians were great hosts this week. With all the complaints about ticket prices and what not... there was a good attendance at Bell Centre. On Saturday, it was epic. Today, there were less people and I understand that. If you didn't have a full event pass, I guess it's a big expense to see a gala... and of course, some people were already gone.

I wonder how many of you who are posting in this thread got a chance to come visit in person at worlds ! What did you prefer ?

Sackie

Medalist
If Maddie does continue next year I really hope she can put this year behind her and move on. Unfortunately she seems to be someone who analyses things too much. It is almost like she is keeping tract of every level and possible score while she is skating instead of just trusting herself and doing what she can do, and having fun doing it.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
One of the younger generation hopeful in lady singles, Kara Yun has left Champs in BC. She is currently training at Granite Club in Toronto. Hope it's a good move for her to pull a better season ahead.
well well well.. it's not like we haven't asked for that move for ages :) good for her... I hope it's not too late like it was for Sarah Temura

saine

Medalist
Country
Canada
If Maddie does continue next year I really hope she can put this year behind her and move on. Unfortunately she seems to be someone who analyses things too much. It is almost like she is keeping tract of every level and possible score while she is skating instead of just trusting herself and doing what she can do, and having fun doing it.
That's what I got from her pre-Worlds interviews. She tinkered with her programs to maximize TES. I don't blame her. Being put on the advertising for Worlds would lead to a lot of pressure and she wanted that top 10 placement.

Plus the jump mistakes in the short she's been having this season haven't been helping. She was able to pull out a PB on the free at SCI. But having to do that so many times can't be good. Getting into the mindset needed for that won't always happen.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
That's what I got from her pre-Worlds interviews. She tinkered with her programs to maximize TES. I don't blame her. Being put on the advertising for Worlds would lead to a lot of pressure and she wanted that top 10 placement.
well i fail to see what changes she made that would have raised her BV...

Wasn't she going for Toe and Loop as repeated jumps before ? It looked like she was going for Toe and Salchow this time around...
In the practice session, she had this weird single axel-2t +2a sequence... Do you have a link to her planned content ?
Plus the jump mistakes in the short she's been having this season haven't been helping. She was able to pull out a PB on the free at SCI. But having to do that so many times can't be good. Getting into the mindset needed for that won't always happen.
I think she needs a new coaching team. She's had great teaching. She's a very good skater. She needs a new environment, new challenges.. It's nothing against her team really... it's more than when things no longer work, get stale, it might help to reframe and rediscover one's passion... I know I have done it a lot with my mentors... after a few years, I'd evolve towards a new mentor and refresh.

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I feel for her. The pressure must be enormous. It's one thing to be the leader of your federation; it's another to be the only hope (or close to it.)

And it must be doubly difficult when it's such an important federation with a historic legacy. I think it might be better for her if there were more competitive Canadian ladies - Kaiya is close.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
I feel for her. The pressure must be enormous. It's one thing to be the leader of your federation; it's another to be the only hope (or close to it.)

And it must be doubly difficult when it's such an important federation with a historic legacy. I think it might be better for her if there were more competitive Canadian ladies - Kaiya is close.
well.. i would suggest you watch Canadian nationals and or challenge for both senior and junior women... You'd be surprised at how many talented women are there. The problem is that other than Maddie, and Kaiya to a certain extent, they have so little experience internationally, and even some of the 0 experience, that they do not yet have the competitive nerves to deliver consistently.

My faves are Fée Ann Landry, Audréanne Foster, Rose Théroux, Lulu Lin (you may have seen her at Junior worlds) and of course you probably know Sara-Maude Dupuis and Justine Miclette... the latter two have international experience but are still quite young and not consistent. I think Sara-Maude may become the more stable one.
There are plenty of others... What sets Maddie apart still is her usually stable 3lz-3t. This is what allowed her to get SP minimums. Justine also has hers but all the other women haven't had a chance to compete yet or do not have the SP minimums (some have the LP).

So I actually no longer see Maddie as the only hope or the savior... like I did after Kaetlyn's retirement and Gabby's injuries.

I see Maddie, unfortunately, as a place holder now... until she gets knocked down by better and younger competitors. It already happened at this year's Nationals. If there is no change, I am sad to say it as I like Maddie a lot, but it's going to be it. You won't see her at Olympics.

saine

Medalist
Country
Canada
well i fail to see what changes she made that would have raised her BV...

Wasn't she going for Toe and Loop as repeated jumps before ? It looked like she was going for Toe and Salchow this time around...
In the practice session, she had this weird single axel-2t +2a sequence... Do you have a link to her planned content ?
Planned content is located in here. Her planned jump content from Worlds for the free:

3Lz+3T, 3F, 3S, 3Lo+2T+2Lo, 2A+2T+2A, 3Lo, 3T

What she actually jumped:
3Lz+3T, 3F, 2S, 3Lo+2T, 2A+2T, 2S, 2A

I'm not sure what she was doing with two 3 jump combos planned, but she didn't get either of them. Also not sure about the Salchows and what was actually planned for the day of the skate after practices.

I noticed Roman added in a +2A+2A sequence for his free too, he's getting on that trend. I think that's what Maddie was going for here to add a second backloaded triple but it wasn't working in practice?

I think she needs a new coaching team. She's had great teaching. She's a very good skater. She needs a new environment, new challenges.. It's nothing against her team really... it's more than when things no longer work, get stale, it might help to reframe and rediscover one's passion... I know I have done it a lot with my mentors... after a few years, I'd evolve towards a new mentor and refresh.
Maybe. She took a lot of heat for Nancy Lemaire's comments after Nationals too. I've seen people wanting her to go to Ravi, but it doesn't always work. University is important to her and having a coach in a different province would mean compromising on either the skating or school (unless they're in an Ottawa-Gatineau situation.) Teenage skaters in Canada seem to have a better shot at changing provinces since they're not at a specific university for the programs.

Canadian Ice Academy could be a better local option, but I'm not in her position. She's carrying a lot right now and it can't be fun to skate with that pressure.

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
well.. i would suggest you watch Canadian nationals and or challenge for both senior and junior women... You'd be surprised at how many talented women are there. The problem is that other than Maddie, and Kaiya to a certain extent, they have so little experience internationally, and even some of the 0 experience, that they do not yet have the competitive nerves to deliver consistently.

My faves are Fée Ann Landry, Audréanne Foster, Rose Théroux, Lulu Lin (you may have seen her at Junior worlds) and of course you probably know Sara-Maude Dupuis and Justine Miclette... the latter two have international experience but are still quite young and not consistent. I think Sara-Maude may become the more stable one.
There are plenty of others... What sets Maddie apart still is her usually stable 3lz-3t. This is what allowed her to get SP minimums. Justine also has hers but all the other women haven't had a chance to compete yet or do not have the SP minimums (some have the LP).

So I actually no longer see Maddie as the only hope or the savior... like I did after Kaetlyn's retirement and Gabby's injuries.

I see Maddie, unfortunately, as a place holder now... until she gets knocked down by better and younger competitors. It already happened at this year's Nationals. If there is no change, I am sad to say it as I like Maddie a lot, but it's going to be it. You won't see her at Olympics.

Well, isn't she the only Canadian woman with the minimums? As far as this season goes (or went), that's about as close to "only hope" as she could be.

I do agree with you that the others have been hampered by limited opportunities. And I really don't understand that.

But in terms of the weight that rested on Maddie's shoulders, isn't that irrelevant? Regardless of whatever federation decisions or others' competitive results got us to this situation, here we are. She was the one, is still the one, for the time being.