2023-24 Grand Prix Final Senior Women's Short Program | Page 8 | Golden Skate

2023-24 Grand Prix Final Senior Women's Short Program

Cilla70

On the Ice
I hope Isabeau is also not injured or ill, she seems very low energy and her expression just looked tired/sad throughout the program :(

Omg, 56 :eek: I expected low but not that low!
Her stamina seems very low this year. They should revisit her diet and exercise plans. Puberty is probably starting to affect her. She is such a lovely skater except for the jump technique.

Skating91

Medalist
GOATamoto brought it again saved world skating even though there were plenty of problems with her jumps (this is the fault of the officials), but it is correct for GOATamoto to be 4 points ahead of Loena (she had problems the officials ignored as well). GOATamoto another level for skating skills should be close to 10.0, but not so sure about the marks for composition and presentation if I'm strict like other people are. It's a (relative) weakness. The choreography is arm waving and tilting the neck from one side to the other. But I have no problem with her immense skating skills dragging the other components up (as it should really). She is unique and unlike anyone else. Always bright and cheerful which is a bonus. Amazing consistency.

To be honest, the judging could not get much worse. I thought we already hit a low point during the initial GP stages, but they really dropped the ball at the second most important event of the year. This after the total mess of another event yesterday I thought they would have been on notice, but apparently not.

Karori-lutz.jpg
As much as I like Kaori, to not ding her for this jump is a total joke.

Kaori-combo.jpg
Landed both jumps, well done, didn't fall, but both jumps underrotated. Call it as it is.

Loena-2A.jpg

Loena's 2A not that bad, but a cheated landing. I know what female skater they would nail this landing with an underrotation. I think Mark said it was a change of edge on the landing too.

Loena-combo.jpg
Then Loena's combo completely wrong edge on the take off of the lutz, underrotation, then underrotation on the 3T.

Both women deserve to be one and two but the scoring is absurd.

It makes me angry when I think about one woman they really went after and showed no mercy in each performance, and now on the biggest stage they pass these jumps off as clean and give +3 GOE.

Please.....

I hope Kaori really shows her class tomorrow with a lights out performance.

Hana has an enjoyable program, Nina struggled to rotate her jumps not really reflected in GOE, Isabeau was just a disaster something has to be done about that jump technique it will only get more difficult as she grows. Lovely skater though.

Skating91

Medalist
Her stamina seems very low this year. They should revisit her diet and exercise plans. Puberty is probably starting to affect her. She is such a lovely skater except for the jump technique.

I think it's her jump technique. Very inefficient way of jumping. Unfortunately it's probably too late to change and will only become more difficult as she grows into an adult.

Jontor

Medalist
Country
Sweden
Oh my, she needs some emergency work on her jumping technique, it won't last her another season.
Yes, Isabeau's technique is very weird. Sooner or later it all might just fall apart. But, I expected that to happen already last season and she proved me wrong. I'll give her the benefit of a doubt for now, but it really didn't look good today.

Skating91

Medalist
Probably not a good idea to say something about diet if I'm being honest here.

I think understand you. There was an event earlier that I probably should not comment on either, but I felt some alarm at what I was looking at. Hopefully it is just me overreacting. Diet is always a sensitive topic, and we can only assume that the coaches have the best interests of the athletes at heart.

yelyoh

Medalist
Country
United-States
As much as I think Ilya is a lock for the US men, I think Isabeau is not for the woman. It started last year at Worlds and has just gotten worse whatever it is. Sad really.

Last edited:

SmileHappy34

Final Flight
I forgot Mao Asada won 3 2008, 2010, and 2014 ( not 3 in a row)
They mean 3 straight world titles. Michelle Kwan won 5 not straight. 1 in 96 then (Tara 97) and 1 in 98 then (Maria 99)then 2 in 2000 and 2001 then ( Irina 2002) 1her last in 2003.
Peggy won from 1966, 67, 68

labgoat

Done updating WJC rewatches!
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
From our own Golden Skate - Isabeau is feeling ill right now.

Zora

On the Ice
Jumps aside, I think all skaters minus Kaori and Loena needed a bit more speed and attack. They were all a bit rough performance wise. Maybe it was also the subdued audience that didn't give them the energy boost.
Loena has so much star appeal, she really raised the bar performance-wise. But I think she would benefit from working with a new choreographer, there's something awkward about her arm movements in every program.
Kaori was fantastic, but it's a very safe program, her programs with Richaud were more interesting. Rion has so much potential, I wish she could work with Carolina Kostner!

jorge2912

On the Ice
Country
Chile
Jumps aside, I think all skaters minus Kaori and Loena needed a bit more speed and attack. They were all a bit rough performance wise. Maybe it was also the subdued audience that didn't give them the energy boost.
Loena has so much star appeal, she really raised the bar performance-wise. But I think she would benefit from working with a new choreographer, there's something awkward about her arm movements in every program.
Kaori was fantastic, but it's a very safe program, her programs with Richaud were more interesting. Rion has so much potential, I wish she could work with Carolina Kostner!

I think Loena music was a faster tempo and there isn't a right balance between musical tempo ,rhythm and choreography the most probably is that music isn't good for that choreography and technical elements order (talking as ex figure skating judge and forgetting she's one of my favorites) also maybe is my perception is music can cause controversy because the world contingency.

Kaori SP slower down speed in spite music says "I'm contemporary music, go faster" but the technique is solid and sure on every element and that adds a new dimension to her SP , is strange that brought me memories of Shizuka Arakawa's programs on the past.

Dawn825 , I'm agreed with your rescoring ,I think Nina had a better program than Loena , elements was right, music was interpreted great and even her dress color and details on it was like a part of all the choreography and looks more balanced SP

Last edited:

lariko

Medalist
Country
Canada
In this outing, the old guard held off the young challengers successfully.

I have to say that Yoshida's fall on 3A was the biggest upset for me, because I love her program the most. I am also glad that Pinzaronne is doing a fantastic job keeping the momentum going.