2023-24 Grand Prix Final Senior Women's Free Skate | Page 14 | Golden Skate

2023-24 Grand Prix Final Senior Women's Free Skate

icewhite

Record Breaker
I completely agree with this, too.

I've had a theory that they're trying to create stars (or at least scores) that will hold up better when/if Russians return. Not sure if that's right, or if it's more about promoting skating with less emphasis on big jumps.

Who cared if the jumps of the Russian girls were super prerotated and unclean? Nobody. I suppose there are several reasons for not calling certain jumps: 1 they want high tech like all sports want spectacular events which they can sell as amazing 2 the definition of for instance underrotation is not clear enough and different people judge it differently 3 they cannot see it, whether due to perspective or lack of time or incompetence 4 in doubt the judges/tech callers are usually in favour of the skater.

The PCS are now judged stricter than before/at the last Olympics.

icewhite

Record Breaker
Not sure what to do, should I write to the mods, do the mods care, should I report?
The "fans of Russian skating" who are constantly playing the victim while putting other skaters down are sickening to the bone, add nothing to a real discussion and make all the threads unbearable.

Paulipau

Final Flight
Country
Poland
They have been holding her up the whole season. At one GP event she underrotated all of her toe jumps, but they were judged as clean. Let's not look at her Lutz edge either... It has always been ! if not e.
It feels like it has always been like that, it was the same for Sasha or Anya, Anya's q were always ignored and Sashas PCS was always way too high.

Top skaters just have it easier, Leona is considered nr 2 in the World right now. She worked had to put herself in this position and now she has the upper hand.

It has nothing to do with anyones age or nationality.

Is it fair? Is it new? Also no.

hermine17

Final Flight
I wonder how realistic it would be for Rion to practice +3Lo combos. She used to do them when she was a junior, but she was much smaller then.

Zora

On the Ice
Isabeau's technique reminds me of Mao Asada's technique until 2010. It took years for Mao to correct her technique and become stable again and even then her jumps didn't have Yuna Kim-like power. So I feel like at this point there's not much Isabeau can do about that.

Hmm, it would be interesting to see Loena's programs before she burst onto the scene. Were they always "Take me to the Club" themed or did she have a lyrical phase? 🤔
Actually she had a long Celine Dion / Lara Fabian phase before, so I think what she does now is a huge upgrade... I belong to the minority who enjoys her programs, but maybe she could re-work them a bit with a different choreographer, I think Misha Ge could work well for her...

withwings

On the Ice
Not sure what to do, should I write to the mods, do the mods care, should I report?
The "fans of Russian skating" who are constantly playing the victim while putting other skaters down are sickening to the bone, add nothing to a real discussion and make all the threads unbearable.
Ignore them :)!
And do not take these comments ( completely saturated with brainwashed arrogance/ soviet ideology 'WE are the best and the rest of world hates us because of this!') to your heart. Life is too short and precious to waste our time/ to plug into that darkness.
If you would like to be free of these comments, go to fs universe.

Last edited:

Paulipau

Final Flight
Country
Poland
Actually she had a long Celine Dion / Lara Fabian phase before, so I think what she does now is a huge upgrade... I belong to the minority who enjoys her programs, but maybe she could re-work them a bit with a different choreographer, I think Misha Ge could work well for her...
I didn't think I would ever say it but I think Benoit Richaud would work for her, just see what he did with Adam.

icewhite

Record Breaker
Ignore them :)!
and do not take these comments ( completely saturated with brainwashed arrogance/ soviet ideology 'WE are the best and the rest of world hates us because of this!') to your heart.
If you would like to be free of these comments, go to fs universe.

I mean I can take some of these comments now and then, but they are flooding the forum.

withwings

On the Ice
I mean I can take some of these comments now and then, but they are flooding the forum.
Of course they are! and most of them are not so innocent as it may seem. But there are so many good, constructive comments and love of figure skating despite all that, too :) select!

Last edited:

Demandred

On the Ice
I've always felt like there was a reason why she wasn't competitive until the Russians were banned. Sometimes I think the judges are trying too hard to promote women skaters who are in their 20s right now. Kaori is well-deserved, even if she's not my cup of tea, but I've been mind-boggled by Loena's rise.
I don't know why you are implying there is some sort of judging conspiracy here, she was getting similar scores back then than she is now, the reason she wasn't winning medals was that but she didn't have the tech content to beat skaters with quads and triple axels.

Cilla70

On the Ice
I completely agree with this, too.

I've had a theory that they're trying to create stars (or at least scores) that will hold up better when/if Russians return. Not sure if that's right, or if it's more about promoting skating with less emphasis on big jumps.
Unfortunately they created multiple Russian Stars with under rotations and some with a lack of artistry. History has shown it is not unusual that the top skaters are given more leeway than those that are not champions. The difference is the Russian stars were given a mile of leeway whilst the currant stars are given maybe quarter mile leeway and artistry is required.

snowed

Rinkside
I don't know why you are implying there is some sort of judging conspiracy here

constantly playing the victim while putting other skaters down are sickening to the bone, add nothing to a real discussion and make all the threads unbearable.
I'm new to this forum and I agree. I strongly dislike posts that ignore the actual governing rules of the sport, calling the sport corrupt, the judging wrong and "was robbed"... It diminishes the sport.

Isk

On the Ice
Skating skill wise, I'd still have Rion and Hana way above Nina, and perhaps above Isabeau. I guess Japanese girls go their own way, they are seldom as carefully refined early on as Isabeau, but look at Kaori now. Kaori's steps in the step sequence are so easy to read, no so for Loena, perhaps due to suboptimal shape?
Hana is interesting. I like the first 3/4 for her free program, and then there is the bird flapping and then Lori Nicol went no further than Alyona Savchenko's 2018 winning LP music. They didn't go too far for the dress either, one can sense the inspiration by Sasha Cohen's swan lake dress. Nontheless, she is quite good, she deserved a medal at this event.

Last edited:

readernick

Medalist
It feels like it has always been like that, it was the same for Sasha or Anya, Anya's q were always ignored and Sashas PCS was always way too high.

Top skaters just have it easier, Leona is considered nr 2 in the World right now. She worked had to put herself in this position and now she has the upper hand.

It has nothing to do with anyones age or nationality.

Is it fair? Is it new? Also no.
This is the truth isn't it. The favorites always get overscored. Kaori and Loena are favorites now and suddenly the judges can't see their flutzes or URs. But, honestly, I don't think Loena was more overscored in this competition than anyone else. Kaori deserves 9s in SS but honestly not the other PCS categories. Loena deserves the highest PCS in performance but her LP choreography is lacking.

Anna and Sasha were also ridiculously overscored when they were skating. Much more so than Kaori and Loena. So many technical issues ignored, UR/ edges, bad spins with high GOE, given ridiculous scores in SS, choreography and performance.. The same thing happens in all the other disciplines ( possible exception at times, pairs) and it's frustrating but hardly new. The posters here who act like it's a new issue clearly have an agendas, biases, and a narrative to push.

The judges just can't help but overscore the favorites. Wish this wasn't so, but it is.

Last edited:

readernick

Medalist
Isabeau's technique reminds me of Mao Asada's technique until 2010. It took years for Mao to correct her technique and become stable again and even then her jumps didn't have Yuna Kim-like power. So I feel like at this point there's not much Isabeau can do about that.
To be fair Mao was 19/20 in 2010 and did make improvements even if she wasn't the natural jumper Yuna was.

Isabeau is still only 16. The youngest in the field, several years younger than Hana or Rion, also younger than Nina. People certainly believe those skaters can improve. Why can't the youngest skater here improve? Of course, she can. In fact, while still unpleasant her jumps do have more flow and speed in and out then before.. her toe jumps are really ugly but the edge jumps aren't. Let's not count out improvement from a 16 year old.

Last edited:

RatedPG

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Good job Queen Kaori!!
Another 220+ event 👏

Hana - I loved the free skate and I’m so happy to see someone land a 3A. I have a feeling, she just secured a spot to Senior Worlds 👏

Rion - the most underrated 😭
She skated really well, outside that 4T attempt. Her PCS is way too low 😡