2023-24 Japanese Men's Figure Skating | Page 4 | Golden Skate

2023-24 Japanese Men's Figure Skating

surimi

Congrats to Sota, #10 in World Standings!
Record Breaker
In fact, most of the Japanese men are performing in the same ballpark this season:

Shoma Uno: 279.98 (CoC)
Kao Miura: 274.56 (GPFin)
Shun Sato: 273.34 (GPFin)
Yuma Kagiyama: 273.14 (GPdeFr)
Kazuki Tomono: 265.78 (Nebelhorn)
Sota Yamamoto has a lower combined score, but has put out SP and FS scores that when combined will absolutely put him in contention with the men. Japanese Nationals should be a very exciting event!

This top 5 in this list is pretty much my guess for the big championships as well, barring a total surprise at Nationals, or someone dropping out due to injury. I am guessing the WC team will be Shoma, Kao and either of Shun or Yuma, and Kazuki, Shun/Yuma, and one other skater at 4CC. Kao at WC for the first time should be very interesting. It will be a big test of nerves and consistency.

JSF absolutely has enough skaters to make two strong teams, and I keep 🤞 that they do the same as last season, and split their top 6 into those two teams, with noone skating at both 4CC and WC. There is only one slot for these biggest events in the world standings anyway.

I hope Sota gets to show his 270+ (that he scored in Chubu regionals this season) on the global stage. He absolutely belongs up there in the top 6, ability-wise, but there's no telling if he manages to show his skill abroad yet in the rest of the season, as it depends solely on Nationals, and that's one of his weakest events each year as it freaks him out for some reason. Sigh, those China and Challenger messups cost him a lot. I wish him the best 🍀

YuBluByMe

May Rika spin her hair into GOLD….in 2026.
Final Flight
Any combination of the top six - with Uno or Kagiyama as anchor - is a strong Worlds team. Emphasis on or. Not and. Both on the team isn’t even necessary, but I do believe they’re the only podium threats at Worlds.

I’m feeling sad for Sato. I was really hoping he’ll make the GPF. But that’s now unlikely so I hope he makes the Worlds team. He’s long overdue for a big break.

KiraraChin

Medalist
Ok, so after NHK, it's clear that Yuma is fully back to he and Shoma are locks for the Worlds team. As for the third spot, Kao seems to be the frontrunner based on his performance in the GP series, but honestly, who knows - Nationals is a different beast and all the top Japanese men are equal parts talent and chaos

rabidline

Final Flight
JSF has released their list of skaters who meet the selection criteria for the international competitions, with final selections to be done after Japanese Nationals:
It's fascinating to finally see the criteria for the selection for 4CC. (I didn't even know they have a criteria for 4CC selections!)

Dreamer57

Record Breaker
Links to Men's FS Video
Videos are not high quality but can be increased up to 720p by clicking on the settings gear
Please let me know if there are any serious problems with videos or links

All performances were taken from the FOD livestream (no commentary)

Warmup Group 1
1. Daiya Ebihara - 2023 Jr Nat’l 7th
2. Seigo Tauchi - 2023 Jr Nat’l 6th
3. Yuto Kishina
4. Haru Kakiuchi - 2023 Jr Nat’l 4th
5. Kosho Oshima
6. Sena Takahashi - 2023 Jr Nat’l 8th

Warmup Group 2
7. Takeru Amine Kataise
8. Haruya Sasaki
9. Rio Nakata - 2023 Jr Nat’l 2nd
10. Takumi Sugiyama
11. Lucas Tsuyoshi Honda
12. Tsudoi Suto - 2023 Jr Nat’l 3rd <---withdrew from FS due to injury 😢

Warmup Group 3
13. Kazuki Kushida
14. Koshiro Shimada
15. Sena Miyake
16. Shunsuke Nakamura - 2023 Jr Nat’l Champion
17. Nozomu Yoshioka
18. Tatsuya Tsuboi

Warmup Group 4
19. Kazuki Tomono
20. Shun Sato
21. Kao Miura
22. Yuma Kagiyama
23. Sota Yamamoto
24. Shoma Uno
Quoted from the Japanese Nationals men's free skate thread, many thanks to tsuyoboogie.

What an amazing event!
We are fortunate to watch such great quality skating from these athletes, I've seen a few comments comparing the final group to better than Worlds.

surimi

Congrats to Sota, #10 in World Standings!
Record Breaker
I like Haruya's skating, he really caught my eye with his FS last season. I'm sad to hear he's retiring at just 20. I hope wasn't plagued by health issues, and good luck to him in his future career.

Good for JSF to assign Sena and Nozomu. They do need the points. As does Tatsuya, so hoping to see him assigned to Challenge Cup or CdP.

Strange to think Fa's EC gold score would have landed him in 5th at Japanese Nationals. Deep field indeed.

Jeanie19

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I don't know, but he had to miss the last day of an ice show he was in last weekend (Kassouya) due to poor health. Maybe a withdrawal after?
I'm sad. I really was looking forward to seeing him skate. Hopefully, he will get a later assignment.

tsuyoboogie

"Dedicate your heart" & Slay like an Ackerman
Record Breaker
"When I saw Kao-kun's Tallink devilish jump configuration, I thought of something...
Every time one of us competes, all six of us evolve..."

Judging by some of the jumps/combos Kao was reported to have been practicing during the Tallink Cup OPs, I believe the so called "savage" FS jump layout he had planned was
4F (new)
4S
4TEu3S (new)
3A2A (new to his layout but should not be a problem)
4T (if he went for a 4T3T rather than overthinking about making up the missed 4TEu3S he likely wouldn't have doubled this jump)
3A
3F3Lo (new)

Not sure if he'll attempt this specific layout for WC but he's definitely trying his best to increase his BV in order to keep up with Shoma and Yuma as well as the other podium contenders

(Honestly, this layout doesn't really increase his BV, it just boasts fancier, more difficult combos) 😅:drama:

Edit: My mistake. On my way to work it occured to me I was jumbling up the two different FS layouts Kao planned/executed this season.
The jump layout listed above would significantly increase his BV

Last edited:

KiraraChin

Medalist
Not sure if he'll attempt this specific layout for WC but he's definitely trying his best to increase his BV in order to keep up with Shoma and Yuma as well as the other podium contenders
I think the cool thing about the current Japanese Men, which the illustration captures well, is that it's not only about Worlds, or one particular competition, it's about the rivalry between all six of them. I'm sure this layout is also the result of Kao watching Kazuki's free at Kokutai, and then Yuma, Shun and Sota at 4CC, and thinking to himself: 'I won't lose to them!'

As Kazuki summed up: 'If I didn't have any rivals, I wouldn't be where I am now'