2024 Team Japan (WC/4CC/JWC) | Page 3 | Golden Skate

2024 Team Japan (WC/4CC/JWC)

DancingCactus

Final Flight
Regarding Mai Mihara, in the Q&A part there is some more information. They are looking at overall performance through the season and while they accept she wasn't at her best due to injury earlier, Yoshida overall was stronger. Not sure thus is fair, but I wouldn't call it unreasonable. Personally I don't think results at Nationals should be the be all end all of the selection process anyway.

zanadude

Medalist
Country
Japan
Personally I don't think results at Nationals should be the be all end all of the selection process anyway.
I think they already have the best system in place for getting the three strongest skaters for Worlds. The skaters get to take matters into their own hands by winning Nationals outright. Getting another spot on the podium gets them an invitation to the discussion, but the second spot is all about finding the strongest person available based on the current season's performance, and the third spot is about finding the strongest person available based on the totality of their work.

Mai was under consideration not because of what she did this season, but because she was the #6 ranked skater in the entire world. Because ostensibly they consider things like that important in their decision making.

YuBluByMe

May Rika spin her hair into GOLD….in 2026.
Final Flight
Mihara was just injured ("barely able to walk" just last month) Really don't understand the JSA's bias against her, despite her coming through with solid performances in the post-Nationals competitions year after year after year.
Mihara simply didn’t do enough. The only consideration for Mihara was her World Standings. She withdrew from a Challenger and a GP and performed poorly at a second GP, so she had no international results to compare her to the others. She was fifth at Nationals and it wasn’t a convincing performance. I know she’s recovering from injury, but if I’m being honest, she skates in that hesitant, unconfident way even when she’s healthy. It just wasn’t good enough to be selected when others had much better international results and did just as well at Nationals.

There’s no good argument for keeping Yoshida off the team, but you could argue that Chiba should be left - she was chosen because of the Silver Medal - but then she would be replaced by Watanabe - not Mihara - who meets a lot of the selection criteria and medalled at a GP. She’s also been to Worlds last year with a top 10 finish.

There’s really not a good argument for Mihara being on the team other than her reliable consistency in years past. But what’s her current form like?

Are the choices risky? Yes. Is it fair? Also yes.

tsuyoboogie

"Dedicate your heart" & Slay like an Ackerman
Record Breaker
For everyone questioning why Ami wasn't selected for the WJC the reason is simply because she didn't compete at "Senior" Nationals
which is a requirement to be considered for the WJC team
(IMO, a silly requirement for a Junior Championship but hey, I don't make the rules so :shrug:)

She wasn't even listed as a possibility for JW whereas Hana Yoshida and Rino Matsuike were

The only issue I have with this decision is if you consider the allowed quota for Junior skaters at "Senior" Nationals, Ami could have received an invitation to compete regardless of her finishing in 10th at Junior Nationals

Not sure why, but ultimately, the federation decided not to invite her (my positive take: they didn't want to encourage her or others to compete while injured...?)

According to the guidelines, exceptions to the "must compete at "Senior" Nationals" rule can be made in unavoidable circumstances such as injury for skaters who placed within Top 3 at the previous WJC...which Ami did

I can't be certain, but my guess is if she had withdrawn from Junior Nationals citing injury, though this decision would've disqualified her from participating at "Senior" Nationals, she might've still been considered for the WJC team due to this exception

Last edited:

zanadude

Medalist
Country
Japan
Mihara simply didn’t do enough. The only consideration for Mihara was her World Standings. She withdrew from a Challenger and a you could argue that Chiba should be left - she was chosen because of the Silver Medal - but then she would be replaced by Watanabe - not Mihara - who meets a lot of the selection criteria and medalled at a GP.
Then why was Mihara chosen as the first alternate?

yume

🍉
Record Breaker
There’s no good argument for keeping Yoshida off the team, but you could argue that Chiba should be left - she was chosen because of the Silver Medal - but then she would be replaced by Watanabe - not Mihara - who meets a lot of the selection criteria and medalled at a GP. She’s also been to Worlds last year with a top 10 finish.
Then why was Mihara chosen as the first alternate?
Because JSF gives the spots to whoever they want, as long as the skater(s) meets at least one criteria. No need to meet most of the criteria or more than another skater. Many choices proved that.

I'm not surprised they put Mai above Rinka. Mai was injured and is skating better with each comp. While Rinka competed a lot and underperformed a lot this year. She is generally less consistent than Mai. Even coming from injury, Mai is beating her. And Mai's overall bow is better. So i guess that's how she landed on first alternate place.
Now i just hope she will finish on podium at 4CC, as usual.

denise3lz

On the Ice
Country
Japan
For everyone questioning why Ami wasn't selected for the WJC the reason is simply because she didn't compete at "Senior" Nationals
which is a requirement to be considered for the WJC team
(IMO, a silly requirement for a Junior Championship but hey, I don't make the rules so :shrug:)
IIIRC this rule was adopted after failure of 2008/09 season JW selection.
That season Japan had 2 JW spots and JSF selected simply top 2 of Junior National and lost spots to 1.
They didn't send Kanako Murakami because she finished 3rd at Junior National.
But she was best invited junior skater at Senior National (and won JW next season).

Thus after that they adopts "Judging comprehensively" for 2nd and 3rd spots.

sailormoon

On the Ice
Country
Japan
Hana Yoshida was picked over Mai Mihara for Montreal based on this season's international results. Hana Yoshida was so good in this season's GP Series. Hana Yoshida finished third at the GP Final and won the Cup of China, while Mai Mihara finished 8th at the NHK Trophy and skipped the Cup of China. As a consolation prize, Mai Mihara won the place for the Four Continents. The same selection criteria were applied to Kao Miura and Sota Yamamoto but I personally prefer Sota Yamamoto for the Worlds.

Last edited:

cohkaix

FS data keeper
Medalist
Regaridng the ice dance spot for Worlds, they decided to postpone the decision due to a different team winning the RD, FD, and combined score. A meeting will be held prior to 4CC to discuss alternate selection criteria and whether or not to postpone the decision till after 4CC.
Updates on the ID spot to the worlds: per the announcement by JSF (document here), the WC entry will be decided by the result from the upcoming 4CC: the couple with the highest score at 4CC will get the entry to WC, whereas the 2nd highest score couple will get the alternate spot.