2023-24 Japanese Nationals: Women's Thoughts? | Golden Skate

2023-24 Japanese Nationals: Women's Thoughts?

gsk8

Record Breaker
Country
United-States

Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays to those of you who celebrate!!

What are your thoughts on the Women's event overall?

icewhite

Record Breaker
Due to christmas and the difficult watching situation I have not yet seen any of the performances, only seen the results.
I would not have Kaori expected to be ahead this clearly to be honest.
Quite happy Hana will make worlds despite her result here. There is such a bunch of great Japanese female skaters right now, any decision about who will go and not go to big international competitions feels right and wrong at the same time.

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
For me, watching Japan Jr Nats, and senior nats, is the highlight of the entire season. For the ladies, it is hard to believe the depth of talent in Japan....where Jrs ... 13 year-15 year olds have seniors looking over their shoulders....the wise music choices and artistic abilities coupled with the sheer athletic abilities make me believe that every winter I will have some joy now that I dont do winter sports anymore.

Zora

On the Ice
I'm very happy for Mone Chiba, I think she is artistically underrated. Her SP is excellent, I loved her step sequence, but also many other great moments in that program. Her free is maybe not that exciting, but very refined.
Great performance by Queen Kaori, as always flying over the ice, she never fails to amaze me with her smooth skating.

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
I'm very happy for Mone Chiba, I think she is artistically underrated. Her SP is excellent, I loved her step sequence, but also many other great moments in that program. Her free is maybe not that exciting, but very refined.
Great performance by Queen Kaori, as always flying over the ice, she never fails to amaze me with her smooth skating.
Going to go back and watch Mako's short program. I have seen her live in Las Vegas SA and she did a great job at Skate Canada with Madam Butterfly 2018.

triplelutzzzzz

On the Ice
Country
United-States
I'm really happy for Yuna Aoki! I know I've heard some people say she's mentioned thoughts retiring at the end of this season? (Not 100% sure if this is true, haven't found a source yet), but I really hope that her placement in Nats and her 4CC sub placement will maybe re-convince her? Obviously, it's her choice, but her presence would be missed 😭

Kaori performed wonderfully, not only that but her exhibition was so much fun! I liked that she switched it up for Nats, lol.
Super happy to see Mone on the podium, even though her FS isn't my favorite, she's got really good artistry + her SP is top notch.
And Mao is already incredible in juniors... but she's going to be a force to be reckoned with in seniors.

One who I think was pretty amazing was Maria Egawa. She finished in 11th and was easily one of the most memorable performances that day! The thing that really stuck out to me was her ice coverage in her jumps and her spins... So beautiful!

I was a bit sad to see that Marin didn't qualify for the FS, but I wish her a happy retirement after this season! (also she's gotta share who made the SP costume... so gorgeous, lol)

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
Ref: Kaori's exhibition costume. Burn it. :wink: I saw a woman on TV today wearing the same thing.:palmf:
Love Marin. Lets hope she has a wonderful life after comp.

lariko

Medalist
Country
Canada
I looked around a little, and didn't find anything. So...not much to say.

Jumping_Bean

Record Breaker
I looked around a little, and didn't find anything. So...not much to say.
Individual videos from all skates can be found here, if that helps you any:
Links to Women's SP video
Videos are not high quality but can be increased up to 720p by clicking on the settings gear
Some may occasionally glitch or stutter
Please let me know if there is a severe problem with any of the videos or links

All performances were taken from the FOD livestream so there is no commentary

Warmup Group 1
1. Haruna Murakami - 2023 Jr Nat’l 6th
2. Sae Shimizu
3. Yo Takagi - 2023 Jr Nat’l 4th
4. Natsu Suzuki
5. Chikako Saigusa

Warmup Group 2
6. Miyabi Oba
7. Yuna Shiraiwa
8. Marin Honda
9. Maaya Ishida
10. Ayumi Shibayama - 2023 Jr Nat’l 5th

Warmup Group 3
11. Nana Araki
12. Rena Uezono - 2023 Jr Nat’l 3rd
13. Saki Miyake
14. Maria Egawa
15. Ikura Kushida - 2023 Jr Nat’l 2nd
16. Kinayu Yokoi - 2023 Jr Nat’l 8th

Warmup Group 4
17. Mone Chiba
18. Yuna Aoki
19. Rinka Watanabe
20. Mai Mihara
21. Mao Shimada - 2023 Jr Nat’l Champion
22. Rion Sumiyoshi

Warmup Group 5
23. Kaori Sakamoto
24. Hana Yoshida
25. Wakaba Higuchi
26. Rino Matsuike
27. Mako Yamashita
28. Mana Kawabe

Links to Women's FS video
Videos are not high quality but can be increased up to 720p by clicking on the settings gear
Please let me know if there are any serious problems with the videos or links

All performances are taken from the FOD livestream (no commentary)

Warmup Group 1
1. Miyabi Oba
2. Haruna Murakami - 2023 Jr Nat’l 6th
3. Yuna Shiraiwa
4. Maaya Ishida
5. Yo Takagi - 2023 Jr Nat’l 4th
6. Natsu Suzuki

Warmup Group 2
7. Sae Shimizu
8. Rion Sumiyoshi
9. Ayumi Shibayama - 2023 Jr Nat’l 5th
10. Wakaba Higuchi