2023-24 Junior Grand Prix Final Women's Free Skate | Page 7 | Golden Skate

2023-24 Junior Grand Prix Final Women's Free Skate

Skating91

Medalist
Shimada was great I was doubting her the jumps looked difficult in the short program, hadn't landed the 4T clean in nearly two seasons, goes out and lands a 3A and 4T both were close to perfection. Dragging the sport forward which is wonderful. This is a good sign for her because I think she's grown a little but maybe the ultra-c has improved since earlier in the season.

Last edited:

lariko

Medalist
Country
Canada
Made a mistake watching Jr. Women after skiing and hot tubbing, so I kept nodding off, but Shimada put in 3A and 4T which was bracing. Kinda sad that Kim missed out on the podium with 3A, and well, Shin must be happy she was born in March and Shimada was born in October. She will have that one year if she can stay healthy and things remain as they are.

Jammers

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Made a mistake watching Jr. Women after skiing and hot tubbing, so I kept nodding off, but Shimada put in 3A and 4T which was bracing. Kinda sad that Kim missed out on the podium with 3A, and well, Shin must be happy she was born in March and Shimada was born in October. She will have that one year if she can stay healthy and things remain as they are.
I don't think keeping a talent like Shimada from competing as a Senior internationally in the Olympic year is good for this sport. Something is wrong that she will be 17 by the time of Milan and yet can't compete because she's "too young" They overcorrected and raised the age limit to much bring it down to 16 please.

icewhite

Record Breaker
well, PCS clearly not alright, Jia underscored
I don't think keeping a talent like Shimada from competing as a Senior internationally in the Olympic year is good for this sport. Something is wrong that she will be 17 by the time of Milan and yet can't compete because she's "too young" They overcorrected and raised the age limit to much bring it down to 16 please.

No, it's a good thing. I see stressed and crying Janny Jyrkinen in the senior GP, I see Mao Shimada almost in tears because she made a small mistake and is 1 1/2 points behind after the short, I see her stressed after an amazing skate with two "ultra c", I read all the people saying we shouldn't critisize Isabeau's skating because she's so young and I see very good reasons for the higher age limit.

Skating91

Medalist

In fairness, wasn't Shimada sobbing in the kiss and cry after the short program because she stepped out on a jump? It's a little concerning when a child is so upset over a great program with a minor error. What kind of environment is she in where a small error leaves a child sobbing. That's not normal in any sport. It's chilling to see a 15 year old left in tears of a small error. It's one thing when it's a disaster skate (even that is uncomfortable to see a child left crying but at least a little understandable), but an almost perfect skate and she was only behind Shin was brilliant still left her in tears.

Anyway, it was probably not my biggest concern watching the junior girls event. Other people might find it inappropriate if I voice my concern so I won't say what my concern specifically is.

I will say nutrition is very important for elite athletes otherwise they risk debilitating injuries and lifelong health problems. Now, that the skaters are staying at junior level until age 17, I'm sure coaches are putting nutrition and long term health ahead of short term results. Maybe I'm just the nervous type.

Last edited:

Jammers

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
well, PCS clearly not alright, Jia underscored

No, it's a good thing. I see stressed and crying Janny Jyrkinen in the senior GP, I see Mao Shimada almost in tears because she made a small mistake and is 1 1/2 points behind after the short, I see her stressed after an amazing skate with two "ultra c", I read all the people saying we shouldn't critisize Isabeau's skating because she's so young and I see very good reasons for the higher age limit.
Being stressed has little to do with age we see 20 year olds crying if they have a bad performance that's just the nature of sports otherwise there is no use for competitive sports.

RatedPG

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Mao - Great 3A and 4T
The 3A is so consistent. I love that she continues with the 4T attempts. Wonder if she can maintain these two jumps at 17+. Her 4T at this event was Yuma quality. I loved it. Also, I love that she cries after a poor performance. After those tears, I kind of increased my confidence that she would land her two ultra-c jumps.

Jia Shin - Is so solid. I wonder if she gets tired of silver medals. She doesn’t seem eager to attempt ultra-c jumps and I’m kinda glad. When she moves up to Seniors, she will be in a good place. Especially, with no Russians. Only Kaori that is ahead ahead. Maybe, she will go from silver to Mao to Silver to Kaori during the Olympic cycle. However, something tells me to watch out for her.

Rena - I love her; I’m so happy she got bronze and maybe is 90% locked for Junior Worlds now

Yuseong - lovely 3A

Ami - I expected her to be in rough shape after Nationals. She was quite good. It is a shame she won’t be at Junior Worlds, as she improved a lot over those few weeks

Minsol - my fave and most underrated athlete. Love her. Please don’t change and continue with this performance quality that so few are born with.

Skating91

Medalist
Being stressed has little to do with age we see 20 year olds crying if they have a bad performance that's just the nature of sports otherwise there is no use for competitive sports.

I hope it is as something innocent as you describe. Otherwise, watching a 15 year old cry was chilling, especially over a minor error and knowing she had a huge advantage going into the free skate with her content.

icewhite

Record Breaker
I hope it is as something innocent as you describe. Otherwise, watching a 15 year old cry was chilling, especially over a minor error and knowing she had a huge advantage going into the free skate with her content.

You're such a hypocrite. Being a hardcore Eteri fan, calling her the best coach in the world, and constantly writing how you worry about other young skaters.

Mao - Great 3A and 4T
The 3A is so consistent. I love that she continues with the 4T attempts. Wonder if she can maintain these two jumps at 17+. Her 4T at this event was Yuma quality. I loved it. Also, I love that she cries after a poor performance. After those tears, I kind of increased my confidence that she would land her two ultra-c jumps.

Figure skating really is so toxic. This is a widespread attitude but actually a chilling thing to say. And her performance wasn't poor, there was one minor mistake.