2023-24 Russian Local Events – Discussion | Golden Skate

2023-24 Russian Local Events – Discussion

AlexBreeze

Record Breaker
Country
Russia
The calendar of the events has been published.

Notable changes:
  • Spartakiad for seniors.
  • No senior GPF (either a mistake or it's been merged with Channel One Cup).
  • Russian Challenge is in January and Channel One Cup is in March. Last season, it was the opposite. Good decision, previous time skaters weren't ready to compete so soon after Nationals.
  • There're only four stage for senior pairs and ice dancers. I think it will make qualifying for Nationals fairer.

AlexBreeze

Record Breaker
Country
Russia
The calendar of the events has been published.

Notable changes:
  • Spartakiad for seniors.
  • No senior GPF (either a mistake or it's been merged with Channel One Cup).
  • Russian Challenge is in January and Channel One Cup is in March. Last season, it was the opposite. Good decision, previous time skaters weren't ready to compete so soon after Nationals.
  • There're only four stage for senior pairs and ice dancers. I think it will make qualifying for Nationals fairer.
New info:
Spartakiad replaces the final for seniors.
Channel One Cup will have changes.

JimR

On the Ice
I couldn't imagine them not having a final for the Grand Prix and agree it has probably been merged with the Channel 1 Cup (probably hand out individual medals to the best performers to give the skaters more incentive), but if there is no final it does make each Grand Prix event much more meaningful if medals will be based on the 6 rounds. Last year Petrosian didn't qualify but still was given a spot and won (which was the right decision she missed out because of injury). However, it does detract from the stages.

Mariott

Now the flower is making its way through concrete
Record Breaker
Country
Russia
Today we have the schedule of competitions in St. Petersburg.

UPD: The schedule is now officially approved and no changes are expected.

Main sport events in St. Petersburg:

August

Junior Test Skating (no public, no broadcast) - August 7-10, 2023. The main roster of the St. Petersburg junior team participates.

September

Adult Test Skate (no public, no broadcast) - September 5-8, 2023. The main roster of the St. Petersburg adult team participates.

1 stage of St. Petersburg Cup (for adults) - September 19-20, 2023.
1 stage of St. Petersburg Cup (for juniors) - September 21-22, 2023.

The winners of this stage (top-10) are qualified to participate in the 1st and 2nd stages of the Grand Prix of Russia.

October

Panin-Kolomenkin Memorial - October 3-6, 2023. Athletes in the adult and junior categories participate.

The winners of this stage (top-10) are qualified to participate in the 3rd and 4th stages of the Grand Prix of Russia.

Stage 2 of the St. Petersburg Cup (for adults) - October 17-19, 2023.
Stage 2 of the St. Petersburg Cup (for juniors) - October 20-21, 2023.

The winners of this stage (top-10) will qualify for the 5th and 6th stages of the Grand Prix of Russia.

January

St. Petersburg Championship (adults only) - January 27-28, 2024

Regional competitions "Khrustalniy konek" ("Crystal Blade") (juniors only) - January 29-February 3, 2024.

The winners (top-3) will represent St. Petersburg at the Zhuk`s Memorial.

February

St. Petersburg Championship among boys and girls (juniors only) - February 6-8, 2024.

The winners will represent St. Petersburg at the Spartakiad.

St. Petersburg Junior Championship (juniors only) - February 28 - March 1, 2024.

The winners (top 6 participants under 17 years old) will represent St. Petersburg at the Championship among boys and girls of advanced age.
Qualification for the St. Petersburg team for the next season.

March
Channel One Cup (adults only) - March 07-11, 2024
Participants are invited by the Rusfed.

Last edited:

gsk8

Record Breaker
Country
United-States

Just to clarify that there will still be more (6?) Cup of Russia "stages", but only four will be used for qualifying for Nationals?

AlexBreeze

Record Breaker
Country
Russia
Just to clarify that there will still be more (6?) Cup of Russia "stages", but only four will be used for qualifying for Nationals?
There will be six stages, but only four of them will have senior ice dance and pairs.

In the past, each stage had a different number of couples/pairs because it was impossible to fill them all. And qualification depends on the place taken in the stage. Reducing the number of the stages should solve this problem. That's what I meant in the second sentence.

Mariott

Record Breaker
Country
Russia
Zhuk's memorial?
Jeffrey Buttle`s memorial :biggrin:

Of course, I mean Zhuk`s memorial. My translator does weird things sometimes, and I correct it, but....

Last edited:

Mariott

Record Breaker
Country
Russia
Format of the First Channel Cup in figure skating will be changed in the new season

This was announced by two-time Olympic champion Maksim Trankov.

"What do I don't like in the performances of sportsmen at the Channel One Cup? The fact that sportsmen treat this tournament not as a competition: they don't prepare for it, they come in a very bad physical condition, technical condition.

I'm in the support group of the blue team - a team that has lost three years in a row. I have guys coming - I just saw them at the Russian Championships, where they are taking prizes, jumping quadruples, extravaganza. But they come to the Channel One Cup and jump doubles - they can do three double jumps in the short program. I don't approve of that. I think it is the athletes who need to change their attitude to this tournament and prepare themselves.

I will reveal a little secret: next year this tournament will be reformatted for this very reason. Changes will be made," Trankov said in the podcast "Proizvolnaya programma" ("Free Program") on Channel One air.

Ella339

On the Ice
Could there be a thread for "discussion/info" and one for "live discussion" during the events themselves? I remember in past years struggling to find information in the middle of the live reactions, jumping forward 6 pages, back 2 pages, etc., and just giving up in the end.

Mariott

Record Breaker
Country
Russia
Could there be a thread for "discussion/info" and one for "live discussion" during the events themselves? I remember in past years struggling to find information in the middle of the live reactions, jumping forward 6 pages, back 2 pages, etc., and just giving up in the end.
Usually participants create separate named topics for important competitions, in the discussion topic less important starts are discussed, for example, junior competitions in Moscow and St. Petersburg. But really, perhaps, there is a logic in separating the discussion of the season and the discussion of individual competitions.

AlexBreeze

Record Breaker
Country
Russia
Maybe I'll just add more information to the Link Collection.

gsk8

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
There will be six stages, but only four of them will have senior ice dance and pairs.

In the past, each stage had a different number of couples/pairs because it was impossible to fill them all. And qualification depends on the place taken in the stage. Reducing the number of the stages should solve this problem. That's what I meant in the second sentence.
Understood. But all six stages will be used to determine who qualifies for Nationals, right?

gsk8

Record Breaker
Country
United-States

Usually participants create separate named topics for important competitions, in the discussion topic less important starts are discussed, for example, junior competitions in Moscow and St. Petersburg. But really, perhaps, there is a logic in separating the discussion of the season and the discussion of individual competitions.

Maybe I'll just add more information to the Link Collection.

@Crazykitten did the comp threads last year. You could always have a separate info thread where folks can talk and have "pre-game" chat :)

LadyB

Record Breaker
That's why we introduced the separate Link Collection (data/info about events) and Discussions thread (actual comments/live comments on events).
Please note: Big events such as championships or traditionally well attended B-events last year had their own separate threads with links appearing in Links Collection.
No more missing out, no more scrolling forwards and backwards various pages.