4CC US Team announced | Golden Skate

4CC US Team announced

gsk8

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
The full ISU Four Continents Figure Skating Championships 2024 U.S. roster is below:

Women
Amber Glenn
Lindsay Thorngren
Ava Ziegler

Alternate 1: Elyce Lin-Gracey
Alternate 2: Audrey Shin
Alternate 3: Starr Andrews

Men
Tomoki Hiwatashi
Camden Pulkinen
Andrew Torgashev

Alternate 1: Maxim Naumov
Alternate 2: Liam Kapeikis
Alternate 3: Jimmy Ma

Pairs
Ellie Kam and Danny O'Shea
Chelsea Liu and Balazs Nagy
Valentina Plazas and Maximiliano Fernandez

Alternate 1: Isabelle Martins and Ryan Bedard
Alternate 2: Maria Mokhova and Ivan Mokhov

Ice Dance
Christina Carreira and Anthony Ponomarenko
Madison Chock and Evan Bates
Caroline Green and Michael Parsons

Alternate 1: Emilea Zingas and Vadym Kolesnik
Alternate 2: Oona Brown and Gage Brown
Alternate 3: Eva Pate and Logan Bye

throw_triple_flip

Final Flight
Country
United-Kingdom
Ice Dance is interesting.

Normally you'd expect to see the exact same teams at Worlds, but I don't think that's a dead cert this year, considering the circumstances. Nationals result could throw a spanner in the works (except for Chock and Bates, obviously).

Jumping_Bean

Record Breaker
This is the Women's 4CC team I wanted but was sure I wasn't going to get because I couldn't fathom Isabeau skipping 4CC after having to withdraw after the Short last season, so I'm very happy I was wrong about that.

The Ice Dance and Pairs teams are as expected, and likely to mostly also be the teams sent to Worlds (depending on how Chan/Howe and Hawayek/Baker look at Nationals), and Men's is basically a "skate-off" between the next three highest-scoring US skaters, all three of which are highly inconsistent, but very lovely when they get things right.

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Mildly surprised to see Tomoki.

But considering the performances of American men not named Ilia this season, I really shouldn't be.

Although I haven't seen it, I understand he delivered solid performances in one of the Nationals qualifying skates, or something like that recently. Given the available field, he has as much right as anyone I guess.

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Andrew AND Camden, probably my two favorite US men.

Also nice to see the “other” Jersey Girl, Lindsay Thorngren, get a chance. I really like her SP this year, both lovely and offbeat!

And we all know how I love a good split jump, ;) so Tomoki does not make me sad either. A good men's team. :)

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
Very interesting but no real surprises. The ladies took a huge hit without Bradie and I don't think Gracie was much of a factor even as an alternate (forget she is injured). I am curious though about Jason Brown is he really ready for Worlds? I know he is seasoned and the best artistic skater/skating skills probably in the world but each year as the tech goes up he is losing ground especially since the quad seems to have completely disappeared even the attempt and due to lack of competition is the triple axel solid enough? But in light of the poor consistency of the other men he should make the team for worlds no problem. I am guessing this could be his swan song. This is a big year. Teams either go big and go for the Olympics or often end it now. I think they are giving their pairs teams experiene before worlds which makes sense. I am curious about HB are they really going to compete. Some of the p ull outs in events you can predict almost. But I think this Nationals is big for them considering they didn't compete last year. And their comeback seems stalled so many times. I wish I were a fly on the wall and knew about their practices. Surely someone in their camp knows.

BlissfulSynergy

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
My only sadness : not enough naumov. He is my favourite American skater.

The rest is pretty much as expected and in line with what I was hoping.
Maxim Naumov is a very nice skater. I really like him too. Honestly though his momentum has been impacted by injury. He's still on the 'comeback from injury' path. His most recent results are the factor under consideration right now moreso than his talent and potential.

All of the selections seem fair and make sense. It's good that Naumov is a first alternate.

BlissfulSynergy

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Pairs
Ellie Kam and Danny O'Shea
Chelsea Liu and Balazs Nagy
Valentina Plazas and Maximiliano Fernandez

Alternate 1: Isabelle Martins and Ryan Bedard
Alternate 2: Maria Mokhova and Ivan Mokhov
These are reasonable selections, seemingly based on Fall 2023 GP results. The Nationals podium will most likely look different. If McBeath/ Parkman are in good form, I think they could place well at U.S. Nationals. However, in a recent FSO interview with M/B, it was indicated that Nationals "will mark the end of their season." Thus, Parkman did not get his release in December as some fans had speculated he might. So, no matter where they place at Nationals, making the World team is not possible for them this season. I still think Chan/ Howe will likely win Nationals, if they are in shape competitively. Plus, they were fifth at Worlds last year, which is nothing to sneeze at.

With M/B out for Worlds, Plazas/ Fernandez have an opportunity to make the World team, even if 4th or 5th at Nationals behind teams who can't compete internationally. Albeit that P/F would have to place ahead of either Liu/Nagy or Kam/ O'Shea (the latter have been very inconsistent on jumps and throws -- moreso than L/N -- so unless that's been figured out, K/O are vulnerable should P/F finally lay down two good programs).

Last edited:

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
Maxim Naumov is a very nice skater. I really like him too. Honestly though his momentum has been impacted by injury. He's still on the 'comeback from injury' path. His most recent results are the factor under consideration right now moreso than his talent and potential.

All of the selections seem fair and make sense. It's good that Naumov is a first alternate.
I didn't say the selections were not fair :) just said I wished he'd got an opportunity :) that's all.

However, if you wish to open up this discussion, Tomoki is not necessarily a very convincing choice over any of these guys honestly.

BlissfulSynergy

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
I didn't say the selections were not fair :) just said I wished he'd got an opportunity :) that's all.

However, if you wish to open up this discussion, Tomoki is not necessarily a very convincing choice over any of these guys honestly.
I didn't say that you said the selections aren't fair. I was merely making an independent statement, having nothing to do with your regard for Naumov, which I totally appreciate! 👍As I said, I enjoy watching Naumov. I have felt sad for him losing a bit of momentum due to injury. I heard he's had a hard time of it fighting to get back in form.

Honestly, Tomoki has been looking better and more confident since he switched to a new coaching team. He's had some good results recently, so he's being rewarded.

BlissfulSynergy

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Ice Dance
Christina Carreira and Anthony Ponomarenko
Madison Chock and Evan Bates
Caroline Green and Michael Parsons

Alternate 1: Emilea Zingas and Vadym Kolesnik
Alternate 2: Oona Brown and Gage Brown
Alternate 3: Eva Pate and Logan Bye
Again, these selections appear based on GP results. Despite 4CCs being so close to U.S. Nationals, Chock/ Bates surely indicated they want to compete at 4CCs. It is like their Europeans. They surely do not want any of their rivals to gain an edge over them, so 4CCs is important for them heading into Worlds.

I think Hawayek/Baker will be fine, if they are healthy, hungry, and in a good mindset. They still have a great chance to make the World team with podium placement at Nationals. They are making a comeback, so 4CCs is not important for them this year. The third spot in U.S. ice dance for Worlds will likely be a battle between C/P and G/P, with Z/K a very outside possibility at this point.

As for the 4CCs singles selections, the decision was apparently made to not overtax Malinin, Levito, and Brown. Thus, there was the chance to give other top U.S. singles skaters the chance to compete.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
I didn't say that you said the selections aren't fair. I was merely making an independent statement, having nothing to do with your regard for Naumov, which I totally appreciate! 👍As I said, I enjoy watching Naumov. I have felt sad for him losing a bit of momentum due to injury. I heard he's had a hard time of it fighting to get back in form.

Honestly, Tomoki has been looking better and more confident since he switched to a new coaching team. He's had some good results recently, so he's being rewarded.
Really ? Hiwatashi scored 191 at his last challenger. Goku Endo beat him there. He had a half decent outing earlier this fall with a 223 but nothing that says he is so much more consistent than before. I am not saying that Naumov deserved it better ;) I am just saying that I am not convinced that Tomoki is really that much better than any of the other American skaters.