2023 Canadian Nationals: General Info and Pre-game chat | Golden Skate

2023 Canadian Nationals: General Info and Pre-game chat

gsk8

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
The 2023 Canadian Tire National Skating Championships is scheduled to take place Jan 9-15, 2023, at the Tribute Communities Centre in Oshawa, Ont., Canada. Approximately 250 skaters in the women’s, men’s, pair and ice dance disciplines will compete at the senior, junior and novice levels.

Athletes will vie for spots on the National Team that will compete at the 2023 ISU Four Continents Figure Skating Championships, 2023 ISU World Figure Skating Championships, and the 2023 ISU World Junior Figure Skating Championships.
  • Official Site
  • Tickets
  • Schedule
  • Stream - The competition will be broadcast on CBC and live streamed on CBC Gem. Exact channel allocation and broadcast schedule will be posted on the Skate Canada website closer to the event.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
Entries have been posted.... https://skatecanada.ca/2023-canadian-tire-national-skating-championships/#starting-orders--results
Withdrawals
Gabby Daleman (back injury)
Matte and Ferland (she has an injury as well, I think her foot)
The Behiels in dance (I don't follow them enough to know what is happening).

With Gabby's withdrawal, Alison's absence on the circuit since the summer competitions, and recent retirements, the podium is WIDE open. Of course Schizas should take the title, but the other steps on the podium will belong to newcomers. It is important of course, as the top 3 is usually sent to 4CC.

Pairs will also feature some newcomers to the podium. Deanna and Max were the bronze medal winners last year, Trennt was in second spot with Evelyn... We will have to see who will end up on the first three steps but that is even more meaningful than in women, because all 3 teams will go to worlds. Trennt and Lia as well as Emma and Nic are new exciting teams to watch but Kelly Ann and Loucas as well as Brooke and Ben will want to earn their tickets too ! Who knew pairs would become so deep so soon?

Dance : it looks like our two top teams who went to GPF will earn their qualification for worlds. Unfortunately, it means Lajoie and Lagha may have to watch from home... they will want to impress though and make a move at 4CC.

Men : this is usually my favourite event, but not this year. I am very unimpressed with Keegan and Roman and even if they were to skate lights out at Nationals, in the back of my mind, I would be : well... why can you not skate like this in international competitions :) ?

So yeah, they are still the two favourites, especially since Chiu is struggling and since Phan is no longer there... (or even Nguyen). I think Gogolev can make a move... Conrad is showing steady improvement now that he is skating with Ravi. However, he has not scored well yet this year, landing some of the big jumps but with very low grade of execution. If I had my ways, I would save a spot on the podium for Toman. I love watching him skate... he has a great 3axel and nice 3-3 combos... but he has been chasing the quads for quite a long time, and though I commend him for the effort, he has lost a lot of points like this. In such a field skating clean in the SP (with a 3a) would definitely mean the final flight.

Last edited:

Sackie

Medalist
Have to wonder how much longer Gabby will continue with so many injuries. It seems like she just starts to get her form back (2nd place in short at SCI) then she is hit with another injury. But now is the time for some of the other ladies to step up and show what they are made of. We have so many that have the goods but just not the confidence or experience to go out there and do it when it counts.
I feel sorry for Maddie - she has not been having a good year so far and here she will have no one to push her to go all out. At least had Gabby been here she might have been pushed at least in the short.

In pairs it will be interesting to see if Trennt and Lia step up their content to include at least 1 triple throw. So far they have been scoring OK without them but here if the others that have them, like Kelly Ann and Loucas, go clean Trennt and Lia could come up short.

I agree about - not really much interested in them this year. They have let me down too many times.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
Gabby : I have a hard time imagining she is planning to do 2026 games... especially since she did participate in 2014 games, won gold in 2018 team event... so olympic wise, I think that she has already reached "the medal" ... but perhaps she is aiming to participate at home worlds in Canada in 2024... it's a nice way to say goodbye. We have to remain hopeful that Maddie will then finish top ten.. which will be hard... very hard... (if we just put 3 Japanese, 3 Koreans, 3 Americans, Loena, that's already 10 skaters... and there are other contenders).

I think Maddie could find Kaiya in her way... Kaiya's layout is much more difficult than Maddie's... however, she loses points on spins and PCS..... However, I feel that Kaiya will be stronger now that she's had more time.
I like Justine and Fiona, but they would need to be squeaky clean to pass Maddie.. and I do believe that Skate Canada would still send Maddie unless there is something phenomenal happening at Nationals.... Fiona doesn't have a 3-3 (though I feel it's coming) Justine is not consistent enough... Not sending Maddie is risky... With Maddie, one feels that she would at least make the Free Skate at Worlds...

Cutting the ice

On the Ice
4everchan, I love reading your posts but you seem a bit more negative than usual. I do prefer to think our glass is still at least half full. I keep reminding myself that the season that Kaetlyn Osmond won Olympic Bronze and World Gold in women's singles, she finished 2nd at Canadians. I recall reading an interview around that time in which she said she had a plan to peak at the Olympics, so a few falls in earlier competitions was not going to derail her season. Peaking at the right time is of course part of the sport, so let's not yet write off any one skater, particularly Maddie (or Kaiya, Justine, Fiona...).
Here's to enjoying a really fun and hopefully surprisingly positive Canadians. :points:And best wishes to all our athletes.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
4everchan, I love reading your posts but you seem a bit more negative than usual. I do prefer to think our glass is still at least half full. I keep reminding myself that the season that Kaetlyn Osmond won Olympic Bronze and World Gold in women's singles, she finished 2nd at Canadians. I recall reading an interview around that time in which she said she had a plan to peak at the Olympics, so a few falls in earlier competitions was not going to derail her season. Peaking at the right time is of course part of the sport, so let's not yet write off any one skater, particularly Maddie (or Kaiya, Justine, Fiona...).
Here's to enjoying a really fun and hopefully surprisingly positive Canadians. :points:And best wishes to all our athletes.
I agree... what happened to me??? I think it's the news of Gabby and Matte-Ferland not making it this year that put me into "dark mode".

Thanks for reminding me to look at the positive :) I am certainly looking forward to watching the competition.

Reverie

On the Ice
Gabby : I have a hard time imagining she is planning to do 2026 games... especially since she did participate in 2014 games, won gold in 2018 team event... so olympic wise, I think that she has already reached "the medal" ... but perhaps she is aiming to participate at home worlds in Canada in 2024... it's a nice way to say goodbye. We have to remain hopeful that Maddie will then finish top ten.. which will be hard... very hard... (if we just put 3 Japanese, 3 Koreans, 3 Americans, Loena, that's already 10 skaters... and there are other contenders).

I think Maddie could find Kaiya in her way... Kaiya's layout is much more difficult than Maddie's... however, she loses points on spins and PCS..... However, I feel that Kaiya will be stronger now that she's had more time.
I like Justine and Fiona, but they would need to be squeaky clean to pass Maddie.. and I do believe that Skate Canada would still send Maddie unless there is something phenomenal happening at Nationals.... Fiona doesn't have a 3-3 (though I feel it's coming) Justine is not consistent enough... Not sending Maddie is risky... With Maddie, one feels that she would at least make the Free Skate at Wo
I agree Kaiya's layout is more difficult than Maddies!

Sackie

Medalist
Yes Kaetlyn was peaking for the Olympics but that was Kaetlyn's style. The year she came 2nd at worlds she had also had bad free skates at the GPF and 4CC, yet she put it all together at worlds. Maddie however has not had good free skates at the last 2 worlds. However I am still hopeful that she can lay down a Free Skate like she did in the Team event at the Olympics. If she does that along with a solid short she can be top 10.

RatedPG

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Yes Kaetlyn was peaking for the Olympics but that was Kaetlyn's style. The year she came 2nd at worlds she had also had bad free skates at the GPF and 4CC, yet she put it all together at worlds. Maddie however has not had good free skates at the last 2 worlds. However I am still hopeful that she can lay down a Free Skate like she did in the Team event at the Olympics. If she does that along with a solid short she can be top 10.
Yes. She scored and peaked at the Olympic event and scored 200+, despite doubling a jump. She will need 190+ to be in the top 10, at Worlds, this year. This is something she is capable of.

skaket023

Rinkside
Men : this is usually my favourite event, but not this year. I am very unimpressed with Keegan and Roman and even if they were to skate lights out at Nationals, in the back of my mind, I would be : well... why can you not skate like this in international competitions :) ?

So yeah, they are still the two favourites, especially since Chiu is struggling and since Phan is no longer there... (or even Nguyen). I think Gogolev can make a move... Conrad is showing steady improvement now that he is skating with Ravi. However, he has not scored well yet this year, landing some of the big jumps but with very low grade of execution. If I had my ways, I would save a spot on the podium for Toman. I love watching him skate... he has a great 3axel and nice 3-3 combos... but he has been chasing the quads for quite a long time, and though I commend him for the effort, he has lost a lot of points like this. In such a field skating clean in the SP (with a 3a) would definitely mean the final flight.

Whenever I see Conrad skate the expression, 'light as a feather, stiff as a board' comes to mind. He lives in his head even more than Roman does! He won't surpass Roman and Keegan until someone can help him deal with his anxiety.

And Stephen is experiencing exactly what Roman went through with rapid growth with one exception-Roman kept competing while Stephen hadn't. Will Stephen's technical ability win this time? Maybe, but when his jumps fail, he doesn't have Roman's components to keep him afloat. But maybe not competing through the growth spurts will have kept his confidence intact. I really think it did a number on Roman's.

Keegan is retiring, right? His strength has always been his consistency and fierce competitiveness. No one is there to replace that right now.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
Whenever I see Conrad skate the expression, 'light as a feather, stiff as a board' comes to mind. He lives in his head even more than Roman does! He won't surpass Roman and Keegan until someone can help him deal with his anxiety.

And Stephen is experiencing exactly what Roman went through with rapid growth with one exception-Roman kept competing while Stephen hadn't. Will Stephen's technical ability win this time? Maybe, but when his jumps fail, he doesn't have Roman's components to keep him afloat. But maybe not competing through the growth spurts will have kept his confidence intact. I really think it did a number on Roman's.

Keegan is retiring, right? His strength has always been his consistency and fierce competitiveness. No one is there to replace that right now.
to make it clear, i like most of our men. I was just hoping for a better season for all of them... I also miss Jo a lot. To me, he was the next best thing. Damn knee.

Roman : he has to best potential but we have yet to see him skate two good programs back to back.
Keegan : his last season. he wanted to compete ten times at nationals and at wtt IIRC
Conrad : ravi can do a lot for him in that sense.. it's a new arrangement and there is improvement already, especially in his basic stroking. It may happen... or it may not..
Long term : i think GOGO and Wesley will bounce back.
Outsider : Corey... thought he did well last year, but this year, not so good.
Matt Markell still can skate well but without the big tricks, it's not happening...
Toman : love this guy... he's been around for a long time but since the field at the higher echelon was dense, he has very little international experience. Too bad... I think he can do very well, even without quads.

This starts in just over a week. May the best man win.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
forgot to mention Matthew Newnham who did very well in the qualifying events. He is very nice to watch !

Sackie

Medalist
One of the most interesting fields is Sr Dance. We pretty well know who the top 3 will be but after that we have a whole bunch of teams who will be fighting for placements from 4 to 10. Unlike the ladies Skate Canada actually sent out 10 Dance teams internationally this season. (1 team did withdraw but they were assigned) And it has been paying off with good results and experience. Will be interesting to see who has grown the most due to these assignments and experience. Especially since so many of them have learned that if they skate well they can medal.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
One of the most interesting fields is Sr Dance. We pretty well know who the top 3 will be but after that we have a whole bunch of teams who will be fighting for placements from 4 to 10. Unlike the ladies Skate Canada actually sent out 10 Dance teams internationally this season. (1 team did withdraw but they were assigned) And it has been paying off with good results and experience. Will be interesting to see who has grown the most due to these assignments and experience. Especially since so many of them have learned that if they skate well they can medal.
Ice dance is always fun at Nationals.... remember the VM weapo Piper and Paul years? OMG.... The field is slightly depleted this year because one of these teams, in the middle of the pack but on a rising curve will not be competing : Fabbri and Ayer. They are one of my favourite young teams... they push S-W and Molly and Dimitri for instance... and there is a lot of shuffling between all of them... and that is tier 3 I would say... if we consider Lauriault-Le Gac and maybe S-F as tier 2. It will be very nice to see Miku and Tyler again. I missed them a lot. And finally, Emmy and Jacob : will they have gelled a bit more?

Last edited:

Cutting the ice

On the Ice
Also, Lily Hensen / Nathan Lickers, an IAM West team. A surprise bronze at the ISU Ice Challenge, Graz. Where will they fit into the curve?

I also am a big fan of Fabbri/Ayer, they are so watchable! Very sorry their season has been cut short and hope Paul recovers well from the surgery.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
Also, Lily Hensen / Nathan Lickers, an IAM West team. A surprise bronze at the ISU Ice Challenge, Graz. Where will they fit into the curve?

I also am a big fan of Fabbri/Ayer, they are so watchable! Very sorry their season has been cut short and hope Paul recovers well from the surgery.
yes! it never ends :) another good team !

Sackie

Medalist
I forgot about Fabbri/Ayer. Worse part is there are going to be some good teams end up in 7-10th place. So what happens to them. And will there be any room if any JRs move up next year.