2023 CS Denis Ten Memorial Challenge Free Dance | Page 4 | Golden Skate

2023 CS Denis Ten Memorial Challenge Free Dance

CaroLiza_fan

MINIOL ALATMI REKRIS. EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA.
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
The Spice girls bit was probably tacked on to make it a Senior free dance. The junior version doesn't have it.

Makes sense. But, why the Spice Girls? Why not another Madonna song?

It just seemed so out of place. Especially when they went back to a wee snippet of "Vogue" for the ending.

CaroLiza_fan

throw_triple_flip

Final Flight
Country
United-Kingdom
I think he is now classed as a Vice President Emeritus or something like that.

A thing I was trying to find out yesterday, without success. What is Lakernik's background? I mean, was he a skater himself when he was young? Or maybe a coach? Or did he come into the sport as a business administrator, and stayed?

CaroLiza_fan
I think the term is honorary vice president.

It is difficult to find out much about his background but wasn't he on some ISU technical committees before getting the vice presidency? I think he might've recently been working with the Hungarian federation too.

I'm glad that weird attempt to extend the top age for officials didn't work. Him getting another term, especially considering what happened with the ban and stuff (and the possible fallout with the appeals surrounding the doping case).. that could've gotten even messier.

Edited to add: a man with same name was the technical controller for the womens event at the Olympics in Sochi. I'm assuming that's him?

Last edited:

CaroLiza_fan

MINIOL ALATMI REKRIS. EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA.
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland

Yeah. I couldn't remember the exact title, and it wasn't worrying me enough to wind the stream back to find out. :p

It is difficult to find out much about his background but wasn't he on some ISU technical committees before getting the vice presidency? I think he might've recently been working with the Hungarian federation too.

Edited to add: a man with same name was the technical controller for the womens event at the Olympics in Sochi. I'm assuming that's him?

I completely forgot until you said that, but I remember seeing pictures of some of my (now-retired) Cypriot kids competing at Nationals, and spotting Lakernik in the background with the officials. So I just checked all the past Entries / Results pages for the Cyprus Championships and, sure enough, he was the Technical Controller at the 2015, 2016, 2017 and 2018 editions!

So, he clearly does have some sort of a background in the sport, and isn't just somebody who came in to sort out the business side of things.

Thank you for sparking my memory

:thank:

CaroLiza_fan

Last edited:

Mariott

Now the flower is making its way through concrete
Record Breaker
Country
Russia
I completely forgot until you said that, but I remember seeing pictures of some of my (now-retired) Cypriot kids competing at Nationals, and spotting Lakernik in the background with the officials. So I just checked all the past Entries / Results pages for the Cyprus Championships and, sure enough, he was the Technical Controller at the 2015, 2016, 2017 and 2018 editions!
Lakernik is a renowned technical panelist and is often invited to compete in this capacity. He also supervises the Interclub figure skating competitions for beginners and juniors, and there he also represents the technical panel at the junior competitions.

Andrea82

Medalist

I'm glad that weird attempt to extend the top age for officials didn't work. Him getting another term, especially considering what happened with the ban and stuff (and the possible fallout with the appeals surrounding the doping case).. that could've gotten even messier.

Yes, it is him.
He was a technical controller until he reached retirement age for judges/controllers (70).
He has been elected as chair of ISU Single and Pair Technical Committee in 2002 after Sally-Anne Stapleford left ISU to try and form the rival World Skating Federation (WSF) in the aftermath of the Salt Lake City scandal.
Then he became ISU Vice-President for Figure Skating in 2016 when David Dore died.

At Olympics, Lakernik was
Technical controller at Women event in Sochi 2014
Technical controller at Women event in Vancouver 2010
Assistant referee at Pair event in Salt Lake City 2002
Judge in the Men event in Lillehammer 1994

labgoat

Done updating WJC rewatches!
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
It appears that the day 3 livestream is now blocked. This is why I got up to watch it and describe it cause that is all that is left now.

Mariott

Now the flower is making its way through concrete
Record Breaker
Country
Russia
Elizabet Tursynbaeva .. 2019 World silver medalist .. I can never think of one without the other🩵🩵
Of course. Perhaps I should have clarified, I was thinking and talking specifically about men's figure skating.
Elizabeth, by the way, has opened her own figure skating academy, I'm very interested to see her students in the future.