2023 Grand Prix de France Women's Short Program | Page 14 | Golden Skate

2023 Grand Prix de France Women's Short Program

discodisco

On the Ice
Beautiful skating, Isabeau! 😍:dance3::bsplit:

I love her attention to beauty, detail, and the way she does everything with such grace. Figure skating at its best!
Great attention to detail, especially with her arms. Excellent. Amazing turnout and excellent flexibility. Not sure that this actual skating skills deserve this course she got. Also, issues with under rotation. She does seem to have a really neat personality though, and is very poised for her age that's for sure.

discodisco

On the Ice
She was probably lucky that the lutz wasn't an edge call
lutz-take-off.jpg

This is the take off of the second toe jump
take-off.jpg

Then the rest
Isabeau-3-T.jpg

You will just have to trust that I didn't get on photoshop and manipulate it in such a way to show an underrotation. At best on the q for her. GOE of 0 or 1 is not correct for this combo when her jumps aren't the most beautiful as she bends over and slows down before she the jump, plus if it's not an underrotation or on the q, she's definitely cheated on the landing, then you have the not clear edge.

No question Haein Lee was underrotated, they were tough on quite a few.
Thank you. Skater should not get great marks for the quality of a jump when they have poor technique on the takeoff. Yes we know that is true when it comes to edges of course, but also if there's a major mule kick, or if the skater bends over and muscles the jump etc. I can't remember the earlier French skater, the one whose program was choreographed by papadakis, but watch her jumps. Clean edges. Nice Vault into the air. Rotation clearly finished before touching down. Those are the jumps that should be getting excellent marks.

discodisco

On the Ice
It was good to see she got level 4 on her combination spin. It was only level 3 in her SP and FP at both SkateAm and Nebelhorn and FP at Japan Open.
If there's one area that she should be getting excellent goes and levels it's her spins. Absolutely

discodisco

On the Ice
How does a skater have a wrong edge for both flip and lutz? What's happening there?
I'm kinda ignorant with identifying incorrect edges, but I thought good SS meant u could do both lutz and flip (e.g. carolina kostner).
It's funny how many skaters take off from the Lutz on a flip Edge, yet do a flip on the Lutz edge. It's weird. In terms of skating skills, it's not so much just about using the right Edge take off on a jump. The reality is there are plenty of skaters who have excellent skating skills, like sakamoto, and yet can't get the edge right for those two jumps. Skating skills has to do more with their movement and utilization of the ice. So, deep knee bend, ability to generate speed with a very few crossovers, sitting just right on the blade, deep edges with a clear lean on the inside or outside edge and not skating on the flats. Absence of scratching along, that sort of thing. People tend to think that just because a skater can do a quad or something that that means they have excellent skating skills. No it doesn't. You can have someone with very poor skating skills who just happens to be able to jump and spin very quickly. But that doesn't mean they have actual good skating skills. That means they can jump and spin quickly :)

discodisco

On the Ice
I’m not sure where this dislike for Isabeau comes from. Yes, she has a wonky triple triple. But, besides that element, she has a killer program. It has got so many highlights and little fine touches. I’m happy she is in first place.

Haein, that step sequence was fire 🔥

Rion - I really thought she’d be the breakout star this year. Last year she deserved to make the GP finals and just missed out as first alternate with her two bronze medals. She is my favourite skater and I will be rooting for redemption tomorrow.

Wakaba - it was going so well till that double. I’m going to worry about her tomorrow as she seems to lose steam in the second half.

Kimmy 😭😭😭
Except that wakaba has issues with jump rotation. Lutz was at least on the quarter, and the toe was a clear downgrade. A lot of the jump rotation is finished on the ice, but she has great edges and is so smooth that it's not always easy to tell.

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Wakaba, I love you, I don't care about the double flip. And she sang her own music!

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I’m not sure where this dislike for Isabeau comes from. Yes, she has a wonky triple triple. But, besides that element, she has a killer program. It has got so many highlights and little fine touches. I’m happy she is in first place.
I don't dislike her. She's not my type of skater. I would rather watch a strong powerful skater like Amber, Wakaba, etc. But she's obviously a very good skater. Ladies is my least favorite to begin with. Figure skating is an opinion.

eppen

Medalist
Country
Spain
Here in Angers enjoying the competition live. My main thoughts about thecwomen were how some skaters looked slow live when they seem to be great on camera... Some notions here.

Rion Sumiyoshi: The program is no good, not sure whether they were going for Bollywood or middle-eastern, but it was not great. She looks small and somewhat slow live, better on tv.

Wakaba Higuchi: She has the intensity and stregth in her movement that I like, finish, extension and all. The program is perhaps a bit meh, but she sells it good. Great flow on the ice, smooth and easy.

Mone Chiba: Trad. concept but works. She was super slow live and the intensity that has come out on camera was not there at all. This was not her best day ofc, but still.

Janna Jyrkinen: There's really very little to praise in her skating. Bad posture, weak arms, horrible head mannerisms, poor basic skating skills, ugly jumps.

Anastasia Gubanova: Love the concept and her commitment to it. The waacking arms are there all the way and she delivers the detail well (compare to Loena who does not). A little slow perhaps, ugly jump entrances, the steps could be better to make them more effective for her pcs.

Nina Pinzarrone: She thinks about every move, nothing just flows out of her. Funny to watch bcs of that.

Haein Lee: Like the siren concept and how it informs most of the program. She could be perhaps still more luring but ok even this way. I was really keen to see the steps which turned out to be disappointingly slow and unimpressive despite the good change in intensity for them. Watched it from yt and she looked so good on camera..

Isabeau Levito: Like the snake thing, but there are silly details in it that makes it look only 85-90% commitment. Isabeau looks ok, fairly good speed and flow, the jumps are so ugly though. She looks a little cautious and mostly executing the moves.

The crowd was pretty good for a Friday early afternoon! Overall happy with the experience though this will definitely not be among the memorable competitions of this season.

Joekaz

On the Ice
Except that wakaba has issues with jump rotation. Lutz was at least on the quarter, and the toe was a clear downgrade. A lot of the jump rotation is finished on the ice, but she has great edges and is so smooth that it's not always easy to tell.
Her Lutz was fine and the Toe was borderline q, could easily be called clean. Every woman has rotation issues on 3/3s because they aren't men. That's why they are allowed to cheat so much on their takeoffs. At least Wakaba actually does a decent pick on her jumps and has minimal pre-rotation compared to the rest of the top women who have ridiculous takeoffs comparitvely.

Dr. Jenn

Medalist
Her Lutz was fine and the Toe was borderline q, could easily be called clean. Every woman has rotation issues on 3/3s because they aren't men. That's why they are allowed to cheat so much on their takeoffs. At least Wakaba actually does a decent pick on her jumps and has minimal pre-rotation compared to the rest of the top women who have ridiculous takeoffs comparitvely.
Gee, sexist much??

anonymoose_au

Insert weird opinion here
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
think I saw one "Judge Pit Stop" in this competition, were there others I missed? LOL
Petition to make this the official name :laugh2:

Just caught up with this segment, gee there were a lot of falls! Isabeau, Nastya G and Haein brought it. Great to see Wakaba again too!

As to be expected, I really like Isabeau's program! She embodies the snake well.

Skating91

Medalist
If a woman/man has issues with 3-3 combos then she/he should be attempting 3-2 combos. Not get rewarded for a cheated 3-3 combo like someone who jumped a successful 3-3 combo. Like I have already said, Isabeau has had trouble landing 3 of her 6 jump elements in the short programs this season and let off the hook every time. If that's how they want to judge fine, but don't punish other girls for the same cheated jumps.

She had an edge issue with the lutz then the toe jump is at best on the q. I have posted the photo evidence it could not be much clearer. Still getting 0 and 1 for that combo. Insane. What would she be getting for it if fully rotated and perfect edge take offs? 4s?

As it is Isabeau is already getting a good ride in terms of PCS. I quite like her programs and she has charisma. But on top of that her major jump errors are overlooked as well. I have no issue with her leading but it should be marginally ahead of Gubanova.

This is an issue of fairness.

Below are the 3/6 jump elements she failed to land properly. The judging is out of control.

Isabeau-3-Lz.jpg

Isabeau-3-T.jpg

Isabeau-3-T.jpg

Last edited:

lileychristie

Lee-lay
Medalist
Country
Australia
Did I hear right that Mark said it Wakaba has her own voice in the recording....? :eek: But that song seems to be the original Bishop Briggs?
yeah that was the original, im little confused about what he meant.
Wakaba, I love you, I don't care about the double flip. And she sang her own music!

Mark mentioned that Wakaba has her own voice in the recording for her programs, I was quite confused as her SP song just sounded like the original Bishop Briggs....

Turns out she just had a sound of her inhaling in the SP, but her FP will have her singing in a later part :biggrin:

Source: “I like to sing at the same level as everyone else, but I can’t produce a voice that others would want to hear (laughs).” Wakaba Higuchi about using her own voice recording for the programs (hope it's ok to link an fs-gossips article here)

And original article in Japanese: https://www.nikkansports.com/sports/news/202311020001430.html#goog_rewarded

Dawn825

Medalist
I'd only have Isabeau and Haein about a point apart technically. Isabeau made fewer mistakes, but the quality of Haein's good elements were superior.
But there's a significant PCS gap. Haein's program, while well performed, is empty. She has poor ice coverage, little choreography and range of movement, and her step sequence has about 10 less difficult turns/steps than Isabeau's. While her skating is faster and smoother, it's much easier to be those things when you're just stroking and doing 3 turns. Yelim has the same problem.

Joekaz

On the Ice
If a woman/man has issues with 3-3 combos then she/he should be attempting 3-2 combos. Not get rewarded for a cheated 3-3 combo like someone who jumped a successful 3-3 combo. Like I have already said, Isabeau has had trouble landing 3 of her 6 jump elements in the short programs this season and let off the hook every time. If that's how they want to judge fine, but don't punish other girls for the same cheated jumps.

She had an edge issue with the lutz then the toe jump is at best on the q. I have posted the photo evidence it could not be much clearer. Still getting 0 and 1 for that combo. Insane. What would she be getting for it if fully rotated and perfect edge take offs? 4s?

As it is Isabeau is already getting a good ride in terms of PCS. I quite like her programs and she has charisma. But on top of that her major jump errors are overlooked as well. I have no issue with her leading but it should be marginally ahead of Gubanova.

This is an issue of fairness.

Below are the 3/6 jump elements she failed to land properly. The judging is out of control.

Isabeau-3-Lz.jpg

Isabeau-3-T.jpg

Isabeau-3-T.jpg
I was talking about Wakaba.

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Mark mentioned that Wakaba has her own voice in the recording for her programs, I was quite confused as her SP song just sounded like the original Bishop Briggs....

Turns out she just had a sound of her inhaling in the SP, but her FP will have her singing in a later part :biggrin:

Source: “I like to sing at the same level as everyone else, but I can’t produce a voice that others would want to hear (laughs).” Wakaba Higuchi about using her own voice recording for the programs (hope it's ok to link an fs-gossips article here)

And original article in Japanese: https://www.nikkansports.com/sports/news/202311020001430.html#goog_rewarded
Thank you for the explanation!

discodisco

On the Ice

Haein, that step sequence was fire 🔥

Rion - I really thought she’d be the breakout star this year. Last year she deserved to make the GP finals and just missed out as first alternate with her two bronze medals. She is my favourite skater and I will be rooting for redemption tomorrow.

Wakaba - it was going so well till that double. I’m going to worry about her tomorrow as she seems to lose steam in the second half.

Kimmy 😭😭😭
I rechecked, and you're right, rotation wasn't as big as an issue as I recalled. Should have rechecked before posting.

However, not all women lack rotation on Triple triples. Certainly a lot do, and you're right they don't typically have the speed and power or height of the men to finish the rotations cleanly. Nevertheless, there are definitely women who are able to rotate triple triples cleanly, and as a result they should be rewarded for that, and women who under rotate their triple triples should not have these rotation issues overlooked purely because it's harder for them to do the triple triples than the men

discodisco

On the Ice
Here in Angers enjoying the competition live. My main thoughts about thecwomen were how some skaters looked slow live when they seem to be great on camera... Some notions here.

Rion Sumiyoshi: The program is no good, not sure whether they were going for Bollywood or middle-eastern, but it was not great. She looks small and somewhat slow live, better on tv.

Wakaba Higuchi: She has the intensity and stregth in her movement that I like, finish, extension and all. The program is perhaps a bit meh, but she sells it good. Great flow on the ice, smooth and easy.

Mone Chiba: Trad. concept but works. She was super slow live and the intensity that has come out on camera was not there at all. This was not her best day ofc, but still.

Janna Jyrkinen: There's really very little to praise in her skating. Bad posture, weak arms, horrible head mannerisms, poor basic skating skills, ugly jumps.

Anastasia Gubanova: Love the concept and her commitment to it. The waacking arms are there all the way and she delivers the detail well (compare to Loena who does not). A little slow perhaps, ugly jump entrances, the steps could be better to make them more effective for her pcs.

Nina Pinzarrone: She thinks about every move, nothing just flows out of her. Funny to watch bcs of that.

Haein Lee: Like the siren concept and how it informs most of the program. She could be perhaps still more luring but ok even this way. I was really keen to see the steps which turned out to be disappointingly slow and unimpressive despite the good change in intensity for them. Watched it from yt and she looked so good on camera..

Isabeau Levito: Like the snake thing, but there are silly details in it that makes it look only 85-90% commitment. Isabeau looks ok, fairly good speed and flow, the jumps are so ugly though. She looks a little cautious and mostly executing the moves.

The crowd was pretty good for a Friday early afternoon! Overall happy with the experience though this will definitely not be among the memorable competitions of this season.
Thanks for your comments. I suspected as much from Lee's step sequence which was getting tons of raves. I didn't find it that impressive, and yes, it looked particularly slow even on the screen. Also thank you for pointing out that levitos jumps need a bit of work. Everything else in here skating is very polished, but she totally breaks form for the jumps, which look nice on the exit, but horrible on the entry and take off.