2023 JGP Istanbul Men's Free Skate | Page 18 | Golden Skate

2023 JGP Istanbul Men's Free Skate

lariko

Medalist
Country
Canada
Just catching up here... kinda confused what was going with Sayed of Sweeden. Did he invalidate a combo or something? I really liked his skating! As @Jeanie19 just mentioned Kulish was another discovery! If he landed that 4Lo, he'd be challenging for the podium, i am sure!

Also, I am so kicking myself up now for picking a Canadian Junior man over Georgia! But i am super happy for Team Davydenko performing so well!

Last edited:

lariko

Medalist
Country
Canada
And yay for Seo, but Cathedrals, reallly? I thought Korea produced like a pop hit every minute or something.... :rolleye:

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Minkyu won??? Yaaaaas, :hap10:

So far, I have only watched his skate on replay, but I could not agree with Ted and Mark more: each element polished to quality, will triumph over more highly rated elements that aren't.

Also amazing that at 14, he feels the music. Actually feels it.

My only quibble is the camel spins, but that's a quibble because I can't find anything else to criticize.

Also, *that* is a costume. Blinged and tasteful. Do Korean men have the same designers as Korean ladies?

Mariott

Now the flower is making its way through concrete
Record Breaker
Country
Russia
I'm so happy for Konstantin! That boy just needs accomplishments to boost his self-esteem. I hope he will still have a chance to show himself in the season. And this was a great start! :hap10:

I hope they are working on the trixel. I know for a fact that they have been working a lot on moves with dance choreographers and the results are showing.

Kostya is a very handsome young man, but very modest, it's an even more complicated case than Mozalev's. Aleksandrina, Kirill and Konstantin seem to be very happy!

Last edited:

zebobes

Final Flight
And yay for Seo, but Cathedrals, reallly? I thought Korea produced like a pop hit every minute or something.... :rolleye:
According to a video report about his skating, the short's music was chosen by his coaches, and the free was the music that Minkyu picked.

If you grow up watching people skating to certain songs, you might want to get a chance to do it yourself.

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
"Young" people, believe it or not, do not always want to skate to "young" music. :). I think skating fans sometimes wishcast, I do it myself, based on the fact that *we* are sick of certain songs.

I do not know why Minkyu is skating to Notre Dame, but as an analogy, Donovan Carrillo chose a 50s Mexican TV/balladeer warhorse for his free. Not his choreographers, not his coaches, but Donovan. I am certain there is a whole world of current, hip Mexican pop music to choose from, but Donovan chose the warhorse.

Minkyu did such a great job expressing himself with Notre Dame that it is clear he feels it. That is all I want a skater to do. :)

TallyT

Record Breaker
Country
Australia
"Young" people, believe it or not, do not always want to skate to "young" music. :). I think skating fans sometimes wishcast, I do it myself, based on the fact that *we* are sick of certain songs.

I do not know why Minkyu is skating to Notre Dame, but as an analogy, Donovan Carrillo chose a 50s Mexican TV/balladeer warhorse for his free. Not his choreographers, not his coaches, but Donovan. I am certain there is a whole world of current, hip Mexican pop music to choose from, but Donovan chose the warhorse.

Minkyu did such a great job expressing himself with Notre Dame that it is clear he feels it. That is all I want a skater to do. :)
He's not the first young skater to do Notre Dame, and he or his choreographer could have been inspired by seeing a previous performance. Or he could just like all sorts of music (I do myself, there's not a genre I have come across where I can't find at least one or two pieces to love). Whatever works :rock: and boy, did it work.