2023 JGP Istanbul Men's Short Program | Page 19 | Golden Skate

2023 JGP Istanbul Men's Short Program

snowflake

I enjoy what I like
Record Breaker
Elias Sayed from Sweden in 5th place that was the most wonderful surprise of the event. I guess he didn´t expect that either with the reaction of his score :biggrin:
Yes, I'm so happy for him that he will skate in the last group on saturday. Also I'm not sure Lukas and Konstantin expected to be among the six best after the short.

Mariott

Now the flower is making its way through concrete
Record Breaker
Country
Russia
I'm so happy for Konstantin! This boy is talented, but he needs more faith in himself, and for that he needs more achievements and victories. He looks so frightened on the ice, unsure, which makes the impression blurred. It's a pity that Georgia is underestimated. On the other hand, in Russia he would not have been able to even get to the main competitions, so his chance is here. I hope he will do well in the free skating program.
Thanks to Aleksandrina Degtyareva, Kirill Davydenko and all Davydenko Band, as well as to the patrons who organize master classes of dance choreographers for young skaters, including Kostya.

Tingeling

Rinkside
Elias Sayed from Sweden in 5th place that was the most wonderful surprise of the event. I guess he didn´t expect that either with the reaction of his score :biggrin:
Fun fact: Papa Sayed is a former boxing champ turned law professor. That was him sitting next to Elias in the kiss and cry.

Elias started skating in 2017 according to his bio. His younger sister is also a skater, which is quite possibly how he got into the sport a bit later than most guys at this level. But it seems he did many sports like swimming, martial arts, boxing (of course). So clearly an athletic kid. I'm super impressed with his progress.

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Looking at some of the replays, two more favorites:

1. Jakub Loftek: what unusual spin positions and choreo (even if he fell on a step sequence).

He had my heart the minute his music was chosen however: Bobby Womack:love2:. I don't know that I've ever heard Bobby Womack in a program. And the inimitable Mr. Bill Withers, used before, but not often enough.

And his free is to "Minnie the Moocher"? in this house, we stan an "unusual music" king.

2. Elias Sayed: more energy, good presentation, strong skater. I did not know him. Now I will be watching for him.

:clap:

icewhite

Record Breaker
Fun fact: Papa Sayed is a former boxing champ turned law professor. That was him sitting next to Elias in the kiss and cry.

Elias started skating in 2017 according to his bio. His younger sister is also a skater, which is quite possibly how he got into the sport a bit later than most guys at this level. But it seems he did many sports like swimming, martial arts, boxing (of course). So clearly an athletic kid. I'm super impressed with his progress.

I think it has been suggested that doing many other sports, a broad physical education so to speak, which requires different abilities, can be more beneficial than concentrating on one sport early (up to year 10 or so, I think). I don't know about figure skating, because it always seems like it's actually better to get into the sport as early as possible. Of course there's a difference between really doing other sports as well and starting late in that specific sport at all.
In any case it's a topic I find pretty interesting. :)

Country
Norway

Wait, so another skater who only skated for 5 years, that is amazing progress :jaw:

Diana Delafield

Frequent flyer
Medalist
Country
Canada

Reminds me of an old friend, former Canadian ice dance champion Barry Soper, who played hockey exclusively until he was about 16. Hanging around the rink, he was dazzled by a beautiful blonde girl his age and was fairly easily persuaded to try figure skating for the first time just to get closer to her. She was already a dancer, he worked hard and passed his dance tests, and two years later they were Canadian novice champions in 1967. Junior Canadian champions in 1969, and then senior champions and World competitors for four years in '71, '72, '73, and '74 (in the years before ice dance was admitted to the Olympics). At the start they were Louise Lind and Barry Soper, but got married along the way in their careers and competed the last several years as Louise and Barry Soper. So if someone is talented athletically and has the motivation:love: and determination, it can happen.

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Y'all, I still get ads. I downloaded and PAID for another adblocker and I STILL get ads.

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Were we only allowed to send one skater? What's with all the substitutes for the US?