2023 JGP Istanbul Men's Short Program | Page 20 | Golden Skate

2023 JGP Istanbul Men's Short Program

TallyT

Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Holy... so I start catching this morning, and almost had a heart attack as a figure in white and black and sparkles (and a bit of red) whizzed past... shades of COC14, folks. Okay, Rio's outfit once I looked closely wasn't as close to Yuzu's ill-fated first POTO one (and wasn't decorated with bandages and blood, which never help) but still... eeep.

Daiya's blatant riff/homage of the Chopin costume soothed my shivery memories though.

And both of them, the skating was lovely to watch, I'm glad they and Minkyu (I really really like Minkyu and I'm even getting to like the Korean boys fluttery romance shirts) did well. Someone has probably noted already that there is less than three points between them all, so at this stage it's any of the three's gold to grab. Great stuff.

I do note the junior men both in Bangkok and here are embracing the sparkle and glitter and swishy more than many of their elders and I approve. Even the ones in black, black with glitter is very flattering, I think.

Last edited:

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
That 3A went so off Axis :console: Oh no what a nightmare skate for him:(

Kai is so tall now, I would not be shocked if he needs more time to adjust to his height. He has so much potential and quality in him that level 4 stsq proves that.
He may be the biggest cactus ever to cactus. He was 2022 US Junior Champion. He did not make it through the NQS to qualify for 2023 Nationals. He's a lovely skater when he's on, but he scares me.

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Well, depends on what "there" means. But he's 15 and started at 11, roughly, and trains 3 hours during the normal season... to be where he is today he must have some talent.
3 hours a day? A week?

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Where are the pirate costumes? Tabitha wants a pirate costume.

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Lol, that's exactly my strategy, unless one of my favourites is skating, then I listen to my heart and always put them into first. That's why I suck at prediction games.
Now see if I had done that with Adam last week....

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
They are playing Keegan's music and I'm bawling. Quit playing Keegan's music.

zebobes

Final Flight
I should have known better and put Ebihara up higher in my predictions, but I find the domestic Japanese scores to be misleading. Each time this season, I see an unfamiliar Japanese name, I look up their scores, and then I always underestimate their abilities.

I put Minkyu in first in my predictions because he is one of my favorite juniors, but also because I thought Rio might be a little tired from winning in Bangkok, and Minkyu would have been fired up to clean up his mistakes from his first competition. It will be exciting to see which of the top three will win. I think Minkyu still has a chance to beat Rio, because Rio's lack of a Flip hurts him BV wise, even though he has both a quad and triple axel.