2023 Nebelhorn Trophy Pairs Free Skate | Page 4 | Golden Skate

2023 Nebelhorn Trophy Pairs Free Skate

Ichatdelune

Long live the Queen and her successors
Record Breaker
Country
South-Korea
Lucrezia and Matteo are a fabulous team, but I'd have a job to find music I like less than "Cats".
To be fair most folks just hate Memory or Macavity, if skaters used other numbers (seriously somebody use Mongojerry and Rumpleteaser or something) there is a fair chance you'd like it

cheerknithanson

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
To be fair most folks just hate Memory or Macavity, if skaters used other numbers (seriously somebody use Mongojerry and Rumpleteaser or something) there is a fair chance you'd like it
That would be such a playful one. Especially if a juniors team skated to it.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
How were Lia and Trennt? I saw the protocols... the SP was strong... and now this LP was the second best... but they got lower PCS. Just curious.. not trying to call for a wuzrobbed moment LOL I haven't even seen the event (just their SP). But yeah... just short of the bronze... the event was probably very well skated or some teams got good scoring ;)

Last edited:

QuadThrow

Medalist
How were Lia and Trennt? I saw the protocols... they SP was strong... and now this LP was the second best... but they got lower PCS. Just curious.. not trying to call for a wuzrobbed moment LOL I haven't even seen the event (just their SP). But yeah... just short of the bronze... the event was probably very well skated or some teams got good scoring ;)
They were really good!! Just one major mistake at the jump-combo. The rest was clean. The Gladiator Free skate has some really interesting moves and positions. It was a really tight race between them and H/K.

LadyB

Record Breaker
A bit gutted Masha and Leszha didn't make the top 4, but happy for Hase/Volodin - Klimov Team rocks!

Jumping_Bean

Record Breaker
How were Lia and Trennt? I saw the protocols... the SP was strong... and now this LP was the second best... but they got lower PCS. Just curious.. not trying to call for a wuzrobbed moment LOL I haven't even seen the event (just their SP). But yeah... just short of the bronze... the event was probably very well skated or some teams got good scoring ;)
I like Lia and Trennt, and I think they are coming along so well, but I do think that PCS are their weak point more than tech, and getting lower scores in that than other teams here is not wholly unwarranted.

Even then, their PCS in the Free are really not massively lower than for example Annika and Robert's PCS, the difference was mainly in the Short. Two things to consider here - Annika is extremely expressive and charismatic, so H/K's presentation score tends to be among the higher PCS scores, especially in their more "fun" programs, and on the other hand, Lia and Trennt's SP was dinged mostly in composition when it comes to PCS. I understand why, there are at the moment still just some spots where the choreography doesn't really reflect tempo changes or the beat of the music.

I understand that placements matter a lot to the skaters etc., and I do think it could have gone either way, but I think the small margin was not inaccurate, no matter in which direction the decision went in the end.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
I like Lia and Trennt, and I think they are coming along so well, but I do think that PCS are their weak point more than tech, and getting lower scores in that than other teams here is not wholly unwarranted.

Even then, their PCS in the Free are really not massively lower than for example Annika and Robert's PCS, the difference was mainly in the Short. Two things to consider here - Annika is extremely expressive and charismatic, so H/K's presentation score tends to be among the higher PCS scores, especially in their more "fun" programs, and on the other hand, Lia and Trennt's SP was dinged mostly in composition when it comes to PCS. I understand why, there are at the moment still just some spots where the choreography doesn't really reflect tempo changes or the beat of the music.

I understand that placements matter a lot to the skaters etc., and I do think it could have gone either way, but I think the small margin was not inaccurate, no matter in which direction the decision went in the end.
yeah.. this makes sense... especially choreo being lower... i think they need a new coach ;)

withwings

On the Ice
I mean, they can stay with their coaches for all I care, but bringing in an independent choreographer could really do them well.
Not every choreographer works for everyone, it's just really hard if that choreographer is also your coach.

...provided it is their coach who support and suggest for them to try a different choreographer... imho it is very, very unlikely that Trennt or Lia ever will ever come to this idea on their own to go to some other choreographer.

Jumping_Bean

Record Breaker
...provided it is their coach who support and suggest for them to try a different choreographer... imho it is very, very unlikely that Trennt or Lia ever will ever come to this idea on their own to go to some other choreographer.
And even if they did, I don't think they'd ever suggest it to their coaches. What an awkward situation, like how do you tell your coach-choreographer that you don't want them to choreograph for you anymore without hurting their feelings? 🫣

icewhite

Record Breaker
And even if they did, I don't think they'd ever suggest it to their coaches. What an awkward situation, like how do you tell your coach-choreographer that you don't want them to choreograph for you anymore without hurting their feelings? 🫣

I would likely not start with "we don't want you to choreograph for us anymore", but say that you have developed and would like to try another style, try to work with other choreographers as well to grow and experience something out of what you are used to. Is that so terrible to say? Isn't it in a way normal and healthy to feel that way?

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
i guess they could try to do one program with Purkiss and one with another choreo? That may be an easier pill to swallow.

I am guessing that it's a more difficult situation because Purkiss doesn't have a dozen of elite teams.... I only knew of her because of Trennt and Evelyn and now Trennt and Lia. No idea if she even has other teams with potential right now... Compare that to Marcotte or Evans... I think they wouldn't care less if there was an idea of bringing in different people for "advice" ... it's always delicate for sure, but it's worse in their case.

Jumping_Bean

Record Breaker
I would likely not start with "we don't want you to choreograph for us anymore", but say that you have developed and would like to try another style, try to work with other choreographers as well to grow and experience something out of what you are used to. Is that so terrible to say? Isn't it in a way normal and healthy to feel that way?
It's not something terrible, but a lot of coaches do have a certain amount of ego, and a sometimes very close (almost unhealthily so) connection to their athletes especially if there are not a lot of students they are working with. Trennt has been with their current coaches for around 9 years, and in all of that time the only choreographer they have worked with was Eric Radford, and look at how that turned out.

withwings

On the Ice
I mean, they can stay with their coaches for all I care, but bringing in an independent choreographer could really do them well.
Not every choreographer works for everyone, it's just really hard if that choreographer is also your coach.
It is exactly what I was intended to say. Thank you.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
they had carol and juris once (with evelyn) radford, i believe, did two lps, again for walsh and michaud.... ;) of course, he won't be invited to do more. Honestly, we also don't need Julie Marcotte to do yet another choreo of Canadian pairs. She's done enough ;) I'd like to see something very different.