2023 NHK Trophy: Women's Thoughts? | Page 3 | Golden Skate

2023 NHK Trophy: Women's Thoughts?

Joubabe

On the Ice
Country
United-States
Sadly there is no need for gushing for anyone at NHK or period. Yes, Kaori is good. But no one is bring the amazing program or amazing tricks in fact there are more issues with edges and under rotations than every. I am happy for Ziegler - nice skating as well as Lindsey but the state of skating is that two skaters who normally would struggle to make the US team are 1-2 at a Grand Prix. Not to be mean o r denigrate these skaters who are doing their best but this isn't the best time for excellent skating. Wonderful opportunity though and bravo Ava and Lindsey and Nina took it. Forget the 3A and quads; there are fewer 3-3 it seems here.
I’m baffled by your comment that Lindsay and Ava would normally have struggled to make the US team in better times. When exactly were those better times — the era of Kwan and Cohen? Maybe Gold and Wagner? Seems like times have been tough for a lot of years now.

I personally am thrilled that the US suddenly has four women who are competitive internationally and I don’t think any of them are second rate.

Dpbthomas1

On the Ice
Perhaps an unpopular opinion, but even with the mistake, I would have had Thorngren ahead of Zeigler. What Thorngren did was infinitely more difficult, since she had actual choreography, which was entirely lacking from Ziegler's skate. Thorngren needs to keep working on taking her momentum into her jumps, using it to make them big, rather than put on the brakes going into them. Zeigler was better in this sense, but her program was utterly empty and she had no visible personality on the ice. I'm not appalled or anything, but would like to see doing choreography more rewarded. It's what is missing in the women's field for the most part — interesting programs.
100% agree. Lindsey had interesting choreography and performed it well. Much preferred her skating. Ava’s was clean but (to me) incredibly boring.
But still happy for both pulling off surprise podium placements.

throw_triple_flip

Final Flight
Country
United-Kingdom
I’m baffled by your comment that Lindsay and Ava would normally have struggled to make the US team in better times. When exactly were those better times — the era of Kwan and Cohen? Maybe Gold and Wagner? Seems like times have been tough for a lot of years now.

I personally am thrilled that the US suddenly has four women who are competitive internationally and I don’t think any of them are second rate.
I think they're approaching this discussion with a particular agenda.

Personally I would've though that Lindsay Thorngren and Ava Ziegler are exactly the sort of skater you would be expecting to make the US national team. I don't think it can be thought of as a drop in standards when you compare to recent results from other successful Americans.

Ali81

On the Ice
Country
United-Kingdom
I feel like the women’s side is rather dull at present. Men are definitely doing better, pushing the tech boundaries and some really dynamic skaters. However apart from 2-3 women the performances are lacklustre. Ava Marie Zielgler is fairly solid but unspectacular and I don’t see her at the level of a grand prix champion. ISU needs to rethink their boycotts...

rain

Record Breaker
I feel like the women’s side is rather dull at present. Men are definitely doing better, pushing the tech boundaries and some really dynamic skaters. However apart from 2-3 women the performances are lacklustre. Ava Marie Zielgler is fairly solid but unspectacular and I don’t see her at the level of a grand prix champion. ISU needs to rethink their boycotts...
No they don't.

farornaskonung

Rinkside
I accidentally saw the result before I was able to watch the free skate and with Ava rising to the top I was worriied this meant that the rest would have had disaster skates. But that was not the case! I think it was a really exciting competition.

Congratulations to Ava Marie! What an achievement.

Lindsay has been a huge surprise to me this season, she has really improved regarding artistry.

I really enjoyed Ninas programs, I wouldn't have guessed Benoit as the choreographer until I saw him in the Kiss and Cry (so I guess he is). She will be interesting to follow for sure.

Mai is wonderful to watch as always. Also how beautiful are her dresses?!

Looking forward to the final!

readernick

Medalist
I feel like the women’s side is rather dull at present. Men are definitely doing better, pushing the tech boundaries and some really dynamic skaters. However apart from 2-3 women the performances are lacklustre. Ava Marie Zielgler is fairly solid but unspectacular and I don’t see her at the level of a grand prix champion. ISU needs to rethink their boycotts.
Hard for me to take this seriously after watching the skaters who have won the Russian GPs. Nothing specatular to admire there either. A skater with two falls, multiple uncalled URs, scratchy spins, and points where it looked like they would fall on their stepseq just scored over 220 and won the final Russian "GP' event. Lacklustre doesn't begin to describe it.

Now, if this were the pairs' thread you might have more of an argument. With the top two internationally from last year not competing in the GP this year and number #5 out , too. The GP has just really been a period of technical improvement and new pairs getting used to competing. (exception Deenna and Max who really came into their own this year artistically /technically. The improvement in elements is incredible to watch) Whereas there have been truly lovely Russian GP performances in pairs. But, in women's nope......

Last edited:

Crowdproud

On the Ice
I was surprised that -- while the event was generally strictly called -- Lindsay's combo in the SP was not marked as q/under. It was roughly the same as in Skate Canada, where the second jump in the combo was marked at 3T<.

SmileHappy34

Final Flight
I was surprised that -- while the event was generally strictly called -- Lindsay's combo in the SP was not marked as q/under. It was roughly the same as in Skate Canada, where the second jump in the combo was marked at 3T<.
Ur stated "roughly the same as Skate Canada" does Not equate to exactly the same. It means she did something slightly different that help not receive the 3T<.
I am not going into whether ur a not a Lindsay fan or someone else

I am merely pointing out the roughly is not exact and since she did get call in a strict caller means Lindsay did something roughly different on her combo to not receive that carrot on her combo.