2023-24 Grand Prix Finalists | Page 2 | Golden Skate

2023-24 Grand Prix Finalists

Jumping_Bean

Record Breaker
Let's not forget that H/K are not based in Germany. Iirc, they returned to Germany after Worlds exactly because Robert could be treated there and not in Italy, which of course would be very difficult to do during the season while still actively training for Euros & Worlds.
And while the German health system covers a lot, it by far does not cover everything - Not connected to this situation in particular, but good luck getting any insurance to even partially cover the cost for your glasses as an adult if you have anything under 6 dioptre.

Also, having to cover ~70k a season on your own (without daily expenses like food) is definitely not "blowing out of proportion" the lack of funding that very much exists in German skating.

icewhite

Record Breaker
Let's not forget that H/K are not based in Germany. Iirc, they returned to Germany after Worlds exactly because Robert could be treated there and not in Italy, which of course would be very difficult to do during the season while still actively training for Euros & Worlds.
And while the German health system covers a lot, it by far does not cover everything - Not connected to this situation in particular, but good luck getting any insurance to even partially cover the cost for your glasses as an adult if you have anything under 6 dioptre.

Also, having to cover ~70k a season on your own (without daily expenses like food) is definitely not "blowing out of proportion" the lack of funding that very much exists in German skating.

As far as I understand the situation those costs are not covered though because they do not train in Germany at the specific Olympic facilities with certain coaches.

SmileHappy34

Final Flight
Sorry šŸ˜” to hear about Hockey/Kunkel WD.
Hope for best
I think some skating in shows before Senior GpF isn't good. It will change my prediction .
I hope no more pulls out due to injury.

Jumping_Bean

Record Breaker
As far as I understand the situation those costs are not covered though because they do not train in Germany at the specific Olympic facilities with certain coaches.
The German federation only has one officially employed coach (Stefano Caruso, Ice Dance), and only lists one pairs coach on their website (Rico Rex), who is one of H/K former coaches (so not necessarily likely they'd go back to him), so they'd almost certainly be left having to pay for their training no matter where they are - Italy or Germany.
Ice costs would only be covered in Berlin (their former training location that they left due to the bad training conditions, though the situation might be better now, see H/V) & Oberstdorf (where their only coaching option would be Florian Just).

No offense, but their improvement in the past two seasons makes it very clear that staying in Germany would not have been a feasible or sensible option for them. And let's not forget that Hocke/Blommaert already had to crowdfund in order to travel to the Olympics all the way back in 2018 - At a time when the German skating federation was in significantly better financial shape due to Savchenko/Massot's success.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
So are H/V the favourites now for the Grand Prix Final and worlds? They are are a great team with lots of room to grow as skaters and point wise and they already have titles. With the world champs injured; Alexa and Brendan at least retired for the season and the bronze medallists kind of having a disastrous year it leaves them and the Canadians who honestly don't have much room to grow point wise. They seem to have hit a ceiling technically. HV really could do it and win world those Deanna and Max have home advantage I am not sure thye technically have enough. Their throws are some of the easiest and the judges don't really seem to love their short. A team like them when clean should be like Brendan and Alexa scoring over 75 if not high 70's. They are no where close.Their individual jumps are not as difficult as I might expect with a singles skater like Deanna. They are doing well but compare them to HV who are new to the scene and getting great pcs already. Skating consistent this year. They are getting better and better and they have room to increase difficulty. THey have great energy together, wonderful presence and their unity is getting better and better. I am very impressed with them.

In men it is a wonderful battle. Ilia and Adam are headlining. Kevin is the artist and you cannot can't out the Japanese men. Shoma has not looked really good but still solid. I do wonder if he is losing his competitive edge by some of is c omments reminds mea bit of Yuzuru woh kept saying at the end it wasn't the medals but the quad axel.

Kaori has bee steady despite some minor issues. Her programs are good but not great I am not sure isabeau has enough to win without errors by others. Loena and Nina ar okay but Loena usually comes on at worlds. Dance loks like Fear and Gibson are in the mix with Chock and Bates but you can't count out the tech savy Italians or Piper and Paul. Sadly two teams if you include the danadians will come home with no medal. I somehow think Chock and bates will win worlds. They have the experience and they can sell ice to Eskioms. Even with half baked programs last year they got World records.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
So are H/V the favourites now for the Grand Prix Final and worlds?
Not if you look at scores from the season so far. They are contenders for sure. The favourites are the ones who have scored the highest all season and won all their events so far = Deanna and Max. Of course, if the Japanese come back healthy, then they remain the heavy favourites. I don't think a GP gold makes anyone a favourite for worlds. Even a GPF win doesn't always translate into worlds gold. You can ask Weaver-Poje about that.

ladyjane

Medalist
Country
Netherlands
I think Deanna and Maxime have lots to grow, and they are doing so. Not just in points but also in doing new things. I admire them greatly. But I also was pleasantly surprised by H/V this season. Maybe not favourites yet, but that will come. And no, a GP Gold does not make a favourite (but it can help).

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
I think Deanna and Maxime have lots to grow, and they are doing so. Not just in points but also in doing new things. I admire them greatly. But I also was pleasantly surprised by H/V this season. Maybe not favourites yet, but that will come. And no, a GP Gold does not make a favourite (but it can help).
I think Hase/Volodin are great. I just don't like when some fans disregard the achievements of other teams as soon as a new team shows up. :)