2023 Skate America Practice Reports | Page 8 | Golden Skate

2023 Skate America Practice Reports

TwinnerA

Final Flight
Country
United-States
At the practice session currently I spotted two women in the audience that I’ve seen before at many other competitions wearing the same identical pink jackets. I’m curious if anyone has seen them before and knows if they are sisters/twins? They must be big figure skating fans to travel to so many competitions!

purplecat

Final Flight
Country
United-States
At the practice session currently I spotted two women in the audience that I’ve seen before at many other competitions wearing the same identical pink jackets. I’m curious if anyone has seen them before and knows if they are sisters/twins? They must be big figure skating fans to travel to so many competitions!
They look like twins to me. I noticed them last year in the audience of at least three comps and like you I noticed them yesterday in the audience!

yuumagical

"There is always something to love."
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Yes, they're the French twins! I've seen them before at the last two world championships as well as Skate Canada last year! I've gotten chances to chat with them and give them fan stickers, they seem like nice people. 😊 I have no idea how they go everywhere. 😵

Arriba627

TWO-TIME WORLD CHAMPION 🔥
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I know for sure they are huge Shoma fans. I met them for the first time at Worlds 2018 in Milan. Since then, I have chatted with them at many competitions.. They're very friendly and love skating. I believe they went to 4 or 5 GPs last year. We exchanged fan "goodies" at Sk Canada last year. I gave them some Shoma stuff and they gave me some delicious chocolates. If you see them, say hi. They are super friendly.

sisinka

Medalist
Scary fall by Madi and Evan at end of their rotational lift in practice. Seemed pretty jarred... Unclear if she hit her head. Hope they are both ok and able to skate tonight!

From the video I am almost sure she hit her head and back.

ISU should have some kind of medical protocol to check every skater who hits his / her head. It is not OK to let skater continue, even if skater wants (skater can be in shock not being able to realise what is going on).

And another protocol to follow skater for at least next few hours - that person cannot be alone, checking state of consciousness, symmetry of pupil's width...

But I definitely believe there should be check by doctor immediately.

I think that the hit to her head was not too big - she was in exit feature with lower speed, falling from lower height and Evan looked to fall not on her, but on his forarm.

But still she can have big headache and backache, contusion of whole spine. If there was a quick movement of cervical spine, she can have acute strain of cervical spine.

Evan will probably have strain of thoracic and lumbar spine, if not feeling pain immediately, then most probably later.

(I am not native English speaker so I hope translation is right.)

I hope they are OK especially Madison!!! And already under doctor's control!

figureskatingandrainbows

As Kao Miura once said, スケートって難しい
Record Breaker
Country
Olympic
I think Madi got checked out by medical staff, apparently they left practice early with medical staff and (unofficially) she is feeling fine to compete. I do agree that skating needs better concussion protocols though, and this is absolutely an instance where they should have been implemented. After the fall, both her and Evan did a great job of making sure that she did not move or sit up, probably to make sure there was no back/spinal injury, which shows great awareness on their part of first aid protocol, but that should have been the job of the medical team, not the skaters.

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I didn't bring my GBR flag either, since I brought my flags based on the original listing of entries. We are sitting in the section near the skaters' entrance during the practices. For the actual competitions our seats are in Section 115, Row B, Seats 3 & 4. I'm wearing a black faux leather jacket. I hope to meet some other GS members this weekend.

Jackie Wong was sitting in our section during the practices. It was nice to talk to him when he wasn't tweeting practice reports.

Being a retired ESL teacher, I would love for the announcers to do their best to pronounce the skaters names as accurately as possible (I like the suggestions by several of the posters here). I was cringing when Stephen G., Loena, & Clare were introduced as being from the wrong countries, and joined in the chorus of spectators to make the corrections.

There was a short power failure during the first group of the women's practice on Friday afternoon.

Moonvine, in what section are you sitting? Hope you have all your "stuffies" ready. There is a young family sitting in our "real" seats whose little kids are having a blast tossing the stuffies on the ice after each performance. Last night they had a clear bag full of them. If they're back today & tomorrow, I imagine they'll have more to go on the ice!
I’m in 117, the handicapped section. Seat 11 - there is only one row. I can’t navigate stairs at all at present due to walker but would love anyone to come see me. And nasty old big donor to USFS. I will not be there til the comp starts.

figureskatingandrainbows

As Kao Miura once said, スケートって難しい
Record Breaker
Country
Olympic
Thoughts from the last group:
Deniss' program is great, especially without the jumps. Nika didn't do the shirt rip, and I was very disappointed. Nozomu looks much improved from last year in terms of speed and program commitment, and I still maintain that he has the best Pirates music cut I've heard so far in skating. Shun, too, has improved a lot in PCS, and his jumps are looking gorgeous. Kevin does a (shoot the duck?) slide into a 3A+2A and it might be one of my favourite men's transitions ever, like how do you even do that? Overall, I'm not as big of a fan of Ilia's free skate, there are definitely some strong choreographic moments but I don't think the first 3/4 of the program lends itself to him performance-wise and then the modern dance break at the end, while entertaining, kind of comes out of nowhere. I appreciate that Ilia is trying to push out of his comfort zone but I don't think the judges will run with him on the PCS quite as much with this program.