2023 Skate Canada Practice Reports | Page 4 | Golden Skate

2023 Skate Canada Practice Reports

rain

Record Breaker
I might be in a minority here, but I love the colour of the costumes!
I loved the costumes, if that's indeed what they end up using this season. Love the billowing pale pink satin of the shirt on Paul, it's very romantic and evocative. And the pale pink is gorgeous on Piper. It's just enough colour to stand out on the ice.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
The one I saw as a great Canadian man was Messing. I also liked Nguyen. It is weird, because there is quite a lot of men who skate in Canada, but is it that Dance and Hockey draft the strongest ones/take up most of ice time, or the attitudes are just not serious enough now, but the field feels almost too relaxed to produce the likes of Messing.
Yeah. I understand. I am sorry you didn't experience "in real time" the long and glorious lineage of Canadian men. I am thinking that our current men have to be a bit more relaxed in order to produce. There are big shoes/skates to fill since Patrick retired. Conrad and Wesley work very hard and are well coached. Let's see if the can handle the pressure.
My hope was on Jo Phan... now it is on Edward Vasii (who is recovering from injury, he was at Junior worlds). I like him a lot.

Kaori just skated at ACI.. super small venue... So I doubt she will have issues.

Last edited:

ptvvibezz

MK forever
Final Flight
Country
United-States
Are any GSUers going to practice today? I'm only a short walk from the arena but I'm so tired from traveling all day yesterday :drama:

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
It's pretty frustrating that GP events don't have to be held on Olympic-size rinks. Skate America was also held on a NHL-size rink and there were a number of almost-run-ins with the boards, particularly among the dancers.

I get that some skaters don't even train on Olympic-size rinks, but it's much easier and safer for skaters to adjust to a bigger rink than to a smaller rink than they are used to. 😕
it goes both ways right? For instance, skaters who don't train on Olympic size rinks have to adjust to get decent ice coverage (especially ice dancers) when competing on a larger ice.

Of course, skating into the boards is more dangerous than losing points for poor ice coverage.

I remember Patrick Chan often hitting the boards, yet he was training in North America, most likely on smaller rinks... I think skaters need to get used to both possibilities.

As a swimmer, I had to adjust my timing between 25 and 50 meter pools.. .Of course, it may look easy to some and not as dangerous but it did make a difference with cardio, endurance, breathing, turns etc... missing a turn can be dramatic and painful :)

Diana Delafield

Frequent flyer
Medalist
Country
Canada
it goes both ways right? For instance, skaters who don't train on Olympic size rinks have to adjust to get decent ice coverage (especially ice dancers) when competing on a larger ice.

Of course, skating into the boards is more dangerous than losing points for poor ice coverage.

I remember Patrick Chan often hitting the boards, yet he was training in North America, most likely on smaller rinks... I think skaters need to get used to both possibilities.

As a swimmer, I had to adjust my timing between 25 and 50 meter pools.. .Of course, it may look easy to some and not as dangerous but it did make a difference with cardio, endurance, breathing, turns etc... missing a turn can be dramatic and painful :)
And some rinks built as part of social clubs, like the one where I usually skate now, aren't even NHL size, not being intended for more than scrimmage hockey. They're whatever dimensions fit into the club's building rather than the other way around. I haven't been in the Toronto Cricket Club rink for maybe 30 or more years, but when I skated there as a U of T grad student the ice surface was less than NHL size and there were no boards. Just a low curb like on a street, and then a flat area all around with armchairs for anyone who wanted to watch. That rink scared me. You either kept your head down and watched your feet (a stylistic no-no, needless to say) or you stayed away from the edges and put all your jumps and pairs throws in the middle of the ice.

Jumping_Bean

Record Breaker
Could be cost, especially in countries where even a small rink is unlikely to sell out.
The capacity of a rink is not necessarily directly correlated to the size of the ice. From my experience, many NHL-sized rinks actually have higher capacity than Olympic-sized rinks due to the popularity of hokey in some areas.

The problem is probably availability. There are way more NHL-sized rinks, as most rinks are funded and run by hockey teams - But both Canada and the US have plenty of Olympic-sized rinks too 🤷‍♀️

Late reply but I think you meant Rino instead of Rion right?
Japanese skaters somehow managed to have very similar names ey - we have Rino (not Rion) replacing Rika, and Rinka is there in Vancouver too 😂

Anyway I'm glad Rino looked pretty good. I'm rooting so hard for her I'm afraid I'm gonna turn into a tree 😆
Typo, oops. Sometimes my brain is faster than my fingers and letters get all jumbled up - It's easy to notice in words, but not necessarily names 😅

They had such a rough skate at the Shanghai Trophy, now I'm worried for them!
I'm hopeful they'll do better here, they did not look quite as rough as that but not as good as I wished for them to look either. Even if this competition goes badly, that doesn't have to mean anything for how they'll do later in the season, so I'm staying positive for now.

I remember Patrick Chan often hitting the boards, yet he was training in North America, most likely on smaller rinks...
North America has tons of Olympic-sized rinks, probably more than most European countries together. Patrick trained in multiple locations throughout his career where he would have had access to full-sized rinks (Broadmoor Ice Arena and DSC for sure), which does potentially go some way to explain why he might have struggled in non-Olympic-sized rinks. 🤔

To be fair, swimmers don't get the option of simply not touching the parameter of the swimming pool, while skaters don't have to use the full ice surface, so the situations are a bit different 😅

Last edited:

Jumping_Bean

Record Breaker
And some rinks built as part of social clubs, like the one where I usually skate now, aren't even NHL size, not being intended for more than scrimmage hockey. They're whatever dimensions fit the club's building rather than the other way around. I haven't been in the Toronto Cricket Club rink for maybe 30 or more years, but when I skated there as a U of T grad student the ice surface was less than NHL size and there were no boards. Just a low curb like on a street, and then a flat area all around with armchairs for anyone who wanted to watch. That rink scared me. You either kept your head down and watched your feet (a stylistic no-no, needless to say) or you stayed away from the edges and put all your jumps and pairs throws in the middle of the ice.
Rinks that are particularly small aren't allowed to be used as competition venues (internationally), and for good reason. As I said, while it definitely takes some time to get used to having a bigger rink, it's not as potentially dangerous as going from a bigger to a smaller rink.

Kaori just skated at ACI.. super small venue... So I doubt she will have issues.
It's actually an Olympic-sized rink. With low capacity maybe, but a full 30x60 ice surface 😅 The rink used here has an ice surface of 26x61m.

Last edited:

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics

I agree with you here for the most part. Most major training facilities in the US (especially those with ISU excellence recognition) have both Olympic and NHL sized rinks (multiple rink facilities). I'm pretty sure the only Olympic sized ice Chan trained on was when he was at DSC.
Though, I will say some practices at the same facility move around due to events there and sometimes you're training on hockey sized ice, other times Olympic sized rink. ;)

Last edited:

lariko

Medalist
Country
Canada
Mom really didn't like the facility. Said it really needed reno badly. Plus, she wasn't fond of crossing Vancouver by bus from the ferry, but she's from generation when free >>> convenience, lol.

lariko

Medalist
Country
Canada
Yeah. I understand. I am sorry you didn't experience "in real time" the long and glorious lineage of Canadian men. I am thinking that our current men have to be a bit more relaxed in order to produce. There are big shoes/skates to fill since Patrick retired. Conrad and Wesley work very hard and are well coached. Let's see if the can handle the pressure.
My hope was on Jo Phan... now it is on Edward Vasii (who is recovering from injury, he was at Junior worlds). I like him a lot.

I am ready for Canadian revival in men. I mean, Russians did claw their way back up and it was super exciting to watch (while it lasted). I was thinking Chui was it, but Mom said he didn't look convincing.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
The "Hungarian" pair aren't Hungarian: both are Russian-born and list their home town(s) as Moscow/St. Petersburg. They train in Russia much of the year.

Jumping_Bean

Record Breaker
The "Hungarian" pair aren't Hungarian: both are Russian-born and list their home town(s) as Moscow/St. Petersburg. They train in Russia much of the year.
And? I will call them Hungarian because when I say "the Russians" nobody will know who the f*ck I'm talking about with like three of the female partners in this competition having been born in Russia, with two training in Russia to this day.

Hungary had Hungarian pairs skaters, and the federation managed to drive them away, so you'll have to live with whatever there is now.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
Rinks that are particularly small aren't allowed to be used as competition venues (internationally), and for good reason. As I said, while it definitely takes some time to get used to having a bigger rink, it's not as potentially dangerous as going from a bigger to a smaller rink.

It's actually an Olympic-sized rink. With low capacity maybe, but a full 30x60 ice surface 😅 The rink used here has an ice surface of 26x61m.
Waaaa. Really? It felt so small :). Cool then.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
How we perceive sizes is so easily influenced - Just look at who we call tall skaters, most would be only slightly above average height in the general population 😂
Indeed. I remember thinking Osmond was a giant as she was much taller than her competitors in a warm up group at aci a few years back ... But she's just average in non skating world