2023 Skate Canada: Women's Thoughts? | Golden Skate

2023 Skate Canada: Women's Thoughts?

gsk8

Record Breaker
Country
United-States

Sakamoto was the clear winner here with nearly 25 points to spare, but there were some other great skates, both in the SP and FS. Which ones did you like and why?

So nice to see Andrews not only doing well, but enjoying herself after all she has endured!

ChiGal

Rinkside
Yes, Sakamoto was the class of the field. I know it's early in the season, and we have not seen all the skaters, but I am concerned about our US ladies team. We need to step it up, or we may find ourselves with limited competitors at the next Olympics. Also, I wish Starr Andrew's would stay away from the tween girl, aspirational, power ballad genre of music. She can really be a powerful skater but needs more sophisticated, current music. Her LP music this season (Being Good is Good Enough) sounds insipid, and she is better than that.

rain

Record Breaker
Maddie was a standout in the free, looking the best she's looked since her Olympic team competition skates. Hopefully it's a harbinger of things to come for her this season and her disastrous short (where she lost an entire element) is a blip.

rabidline

Final Flight
I'm just so, so, so, so, sooooooooooo happy for Rino. It's been a rough few years with injuries and illnesses for her at the worst timing (near or during big competitions and international assignments). Her SP was great but seeing her smile so happily in the FS, even before the program ends is so... I'm so happy for her. And her skating... it takes me back from the first time I saw her live, even before she did her first JGP. It's still so flowy and beautiful. Her arms really look like dove's wings in the FS... especially with her lovely posture.

I don't really mind that this is Rino's only GP assignment, she made it count, so now the most important thing is to make sure she is healthy and well for Nationals. And looking forward to her gala!

gsk8

Record Breaker
Country
United-States

Rinka: The skater said she watched Avatar: The Way of Water on her flight from Japan to Canada and now understands what it’s about.

“I think my step sequence became more powerful because of that,” she said.

How did she just come to watch this movie right before competition when competing with this music? :eek: It's not like it's The Umbrellas of Cherbourg :shrug:

eppen

Medalist
Country
Spain
The unusual music choices continued from Skate America, which was just as well, coz then I could close my eyes and listen to the music at least (Ella and Lauryn). Not a whole lot of good things to say about this competition... Rino Matsuike was kind of my fave in the end - two good programs and she seems to listen to her music. The choreos were perhaps nothing special, but they were done to the music.

Even a Sandra Bezic or a Benoit Richaud choreo cannot make a bad performer look good (re Thorngren and Kim).

Kaori was solid, but her charms are limited to the brilliant skating skills and speed. I have watched her since she was in the juniors and her performance skills have really not developed since then. She seems like a bubbly and funny personality, but none of that ever comes out on ice.

elbkup

Power without conscience is a savage weapon
Medalist
Country
United-States
What a joy to see Meite again!! Watching her gala performance now which would make an awesome competitive program❤️
I enjoyed Lindsay’s programs.. the SP song took me back to The Thomas Crown Affair with Steve McQueen & Faye Funaway. I have followed Lindsay since her Junior years, even then an introspective performer. And her dresses are wonderful.. the Gala dress is so lovely and suits her well and I love the illusion neckline on the FP dress..
Looking forward to NHK
Starr is just wonderful to watch. I look forward to her competitions with enthusiasm. Audrey Shin’s Pina was great so glad to see it performed again!

readernick

Medalist
Enjoyed Lindsay’s programs particularly the SP. She has nice flexibility and does respond to the music. She needs to work on her facial expressions. Considering her injury this was a good outing.

Love Chaeyeon’s SP but found the FS completely lacking in performance. She’s a great technical skater though. Nice edges and lovely 3Lz.

Rino is a lovely skater. She floats. I find the programs lackluster.

Kaori has a 2A that deserves a +5 and beautiful skating skills. She didn’t perform at all but the jumps in the free are 👍.

Last edited:

MiraiFan

Final Flight
I really like Lindsay as well--she's understated but I enjoyed her programs. Good for Starr for overcoming adversity but the girl needs a solid Lutz if she wants to go to Worlds.
Madi S needs to compete angry more often. Was initially not a fan of her free skate but the serene calm of it made me appreciate it. Kaori ia fab--the combo right on the music was amazing. Shame about Kaiya's mistakes--she will be challenging Madi in the near future.

throw_triple_flip

Final Flight
Country
United-Kingdom
Madeleine Schizas is clearly a skater capable of scoring well over 200 points and I hope she manages to put out two clean programs at the same competition soon.

Great to see Kaori doing so well at the beginning of the season. Rino was lovely.
I wished Starr would've used actual Barbra instead of a bad impression of Barbra from Glee in her free.