2023 World Championships Free Dance | Page 32 | Golden Skate

2023 World Championships Free Dance

Magill

Record Breaker
That said, even though C/B did get the mandatory deduction for the fall, 2 of the 2023 Worlds judges gave them 9.75 for skating skills. I assume that's where the fall should have been reflected; the 9.75 doesn't make sense to me.

Another thing that makes even less sense is judging by reputation, or who the team's coach is, or their skating federation. The ONLY thing that should matter to anyone is the performance itself. The rest has absolutely nothing to do with anything.

If an unknown team from a tiny federation shows up with a better program and performs better than the rest of the other competitors (according to the score sheet criteria), they deserve to win. Full stop.
Oh, absolutely! Thank you for saying that! I could never understand how people actually justify all this scoring nonsense going on in this sport. It will never get better if it does not get called.

skatedreamer

Medalist
Country
United-States
Oh, absolutely! Thank you for saying that! I could never understand how people actually justify all this scoring nonsense going on in this sport. It will never get better if it does not get called.
You’re so welcome!

it just frustrates me that I felt the need to say it. Without judging integrity, how can skating expect any respect from the international community…or gain more fans? The IJS was supposed to promote fairness and objectivity in judging, but this certainly wasn’t a very good example.

yesterday

Record Breaker
You’re so welcome!

it just frustrates me that I felt the need to say it. Without judging integrity, how can skating expect any respect from the international community…or gain more fans? The IJS was supposed to promote fairness and objectivity in judging, but this certainly wasn’t a very good example.
I wonder if it could help to borrow something from ski jumping.
They have five judges and the lowest and highest scores don't count.

Magill

Record Breaker
You’re so welcome!

I think system can be better or worse but in the end of the day even the best system will not work properly if not applied properly by the judges. I actually think judges should be professionals signing contracts, subjected to the clause of conflict of interest and accountable accordingly. I cannot see it ever work well when judged by "volunteers" who are often current or former employees of feds/clubs etc. and are not accountable for their mistakes or intentional misjudgments.

Magill

Record Breaker
Yeah, maybe they should look to other sports and their procedures.
I wonder why it is so bad in FS. There are many sports where judges are involved but I never saw anything so outrageously arbitrary and going against any rules. I mean, reputation judging, federation judging, coach-related judging, strategic judging, personality judging, pre-decided corridors for PCS scores, and who knows what. And everyone seems to know it, it is almost official and widely accepted. Come on, how come? Why?

Jumping_Bean

Record Breaker
That's actually already how FS does it. Of the nine judges, the highest and the lowest score (for each individual element and for PCS) are crossed out, and the average of the remaining scores is calculated.

Magill

Record Breaker
That's actually already how FS does it. Of the nine judges, the highest and the lowest score (for each individual element and for PCS) are crossed out, and the average of the remaining scores is calculated.
Therefore you have one judge giving to "his" skaters unrealistically high scores so that these are the ones that get crossed out, right? And, again, everyone knows it, no reactions, and these judges go on judging forever, no matter how well everyone is aware of their "procedures". Why?
Why no one cares for the process being at least roughly honest? Are they so corrupt, inept, unmotivated? What is the reason behind it all?
It is not even that so big money is involved that everyone is losing it at the very thought. So - why?

yesterday

Record Breaker
Hmm they could show it then on the ISU sheet? Like just cross out the numbers?

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
Is that really a surprise. Lol. They still mark Morisi having a 4T as well.. should be makes a 4S. REP no score.
Two very different things. Morisi's jumps are subject to interpretation, like it or not, the tech panel has decided the toe is legit, and they have done so, over and over... judges can lower the GOE since it's not a good jump... that's all they can do....

A rule that says that PCS is capped at 9.5 when there is a fall, is clear. No room for interpretation... yet a few judges decided it was so good that it deserved a near perfect score. As if we had witness one of the best free dances of the last decade...

sisinka

Medalist
Madison Chock & Evan Bates - nice program, finished movements with control over every detail by Madison. Her movements were visually efective and aesthetic. The program itself didn't have the soul, but Madison put her soul into it. If judges felt it, I can understand high Presentation Mark.

The program shows skills on high level, but not particularly SKATING skills. But I will come back to this in next post.

For me the fall didn't affect how they skated after it till the end. But I think that the fall was distracting. The program being one concept - the fall affected this. I agree it should be reflected in Components. Even finishing third or fourth in FD, it would be enough for overall win.

Component score...many people already mentioned the situation and I agree with them.
https://www.isu.org/inside-isu/isu-communications/communications/28330-isu-communication-2474/file
Page 13 - ‘‘For all Components: *When there is only one error and this error minimally impacts the program, the maximum score of 9.50 is possible as noted above.‘‘

9.5 points in Skating Skills means excellent skills and is equal with for example:
- Virtue & Moir 2010 Olympic FD
- Sinitsina & Katsalapov 2019 Worlds FD

Lilah Fear & Lewis Gibson - faster Lady Gaga music gives hot / extraordinary / provocative vibes. While Lewis followed this and danced well into the music, I had an idea that Lilah is like good kind girl who occassionally got at the party.

I think couple needs slower music to allow Lilah to concentrate more on basic technique. I see small improvements since last season, even free leg knee extension is better - now she executes around 30% of movements with fully extended free leg, 70% with not fully extended free leg. I hope coaches and Lilah will continue drilling her technical deficiences.

Illusion turn between first and second set of Twizzle was impressive - it was very difficult entry into second set.

Laurence Fournier Beaudry & Nikolaj Soerensen - Laurence improved a lot since last season. The dance was nice and I agree that the couple is better then British couple.

Since this season they belong to top couples. But once the couple gets into let's say top 5-6, expectations get higher...

That is why I expected full commitment while choosing Spanish program. They skate to Spanish music / Spanish arrangement with movements which evoke Spanish dance style. But I don't have the feeling they mastered Spanish dance style. I compare them with original / short dances of Anissina & Peizerat and Hurtado & Diaz, also Pechalat & Bourzat's original dance and Faiella & Scali's free dance can be mentioned. Especially first two couples were perfect - they were not PLAYING Spanish dancers, they BECAME Spanish dancers. I was missing this in Laurence & Nikolaj's case.

Kana Muramoto & Daisuke Takahashi - I am so glad he started with Ice Dance cathegory. They are not on the top technically, but their dances have always a lot to offer. It is delight to watch them skate and dance. Especially his love for figure skating is very visible.

Natalie & Filip Taschlers - they are one of those who are really dancing. They are dancing using whole body, always finishing movements, living with the music. Their Skating Skills are on high level.

Like in case of Laurence & Nikolaj being among top couples (and Natalie & Filip belong to top 3 - 4 at Euros) leads to more demanding programs. I would like them to fully delete leaning upper body forward in cross-overs, it is not elegant and it prevents from close distance face to face. I would like to see more difficult transitions and more difficult step sequences in style of great couples from past.

Piper Gilles & Paul Poirier - since the beginning of their career they were always dancers, never element performers only. For me Evita is the best free dance this season - by both choreography and presentation. I would also put this FD on the first place here at World Championships. It was a dance expressing what music and story wanted to say. The program had soul. The fact that this dance was not judged better leads me to hesitate about proper judging.

Charlene Guignard & Marco Fabbri - They skated and danced very well. I would put them second in FD. Every time I see the couple I must admire them and coach Barbara Fusar-Poli. I remember when they began their journey, I would no way expect they will improve that much. Today they are the best European couple having both technique and presentation on high level.

Kaitlin Hawayek & Jean-Luc Baker - you were missed, put your health into top form again and come back next year.

I hope that this was the last season without ice dance couples from Russia and Belarus. Politics doesn't belong to sport. I am not sure if Sinitsina & Katsalapov decide to stay or retire. Stepanova & Bukin went to Alexander Zhulin who always improves technical ability of couples he works with, so I am curious how they will skate in following seasons.

More couples are over 30 years of age. I like it. Because they are still improving. Literally they are like wine - the older the better. 5 years back they were not that good as they are today. Keeping retiring in "expected time" we wouldn't see Evita, Madison & Evan and Charlene & Marco wouldn't win the most important medals in their career. I don't think they are blocking younger team's positions. In my opinion they are better then younger countrymen at this moment.

Life offers many opportunities beside skating. And another chapter in their life can be no less exciting then this one. Despite the fact that I would vote for them staying and competing for more seasons, I wish them to make the right decision for them no matter which way it will take them.

sisinka

Medalist
Let's come back to Madison & Evan's FD.

The program has qualities - Madison is elegant, movements are finished. Both Madison and Evan are skilled in lifts. Those are things which more couples can get inspiration from.

Somebody mentioned that their program is more like acrobatic exercise... those words stayed in my head for longer, so I decided to take a look at the program once again and analyse...

Let‘s start with what we saw:
- Ina Bauer by both - 4 assisted jumps - two-footed skating - Madison spinning and Ina Bauer by Evan – stop moment – 2 three-turns by Madison + cross-overs by Evan – three-turn by Evan - cross-overs by both leading into Step Sequence (1 assisted jump including, 6 cross-over by Evan during Sequence) – three-turn by Madison followed by three-turn by Evan, cross-overs by both, three-turn by Evan, another cross-overs by both into Sliding Movement – Ina Bauer by both – cross-overs by both into Twizzles – three-turn by both, double three-turn by Madison then three-turn by Evan and cross-overs by both into Straight Line Lift – assisted jumps after landing from lift – two-footed skating – cross-overs – assisted jump with Evan in spread eagle position – three-turn and cross-overs into One Foot Section – Madison spinning – two-footed skating by Evan while holding Madison‘s neck – spin (assisted jump between change of leg) – assisted jump after spin exit – jump done by Madison herself – stop moment – three-turn by Evan, cross-overs with 2 three-turns by Madison – combination curved lift – cross-overs – stop moment – assisted jump – Ina Bauer by Madison - stop moment – Ina Bauer by both + cantilever by Madison – sliding by Madison (Evan two-footed the whole time) – single twizzle by Evan, three turn by Madison, cross-overs – assisted lift or lift with sliding – finish.

- multiple times Madison is standing on one leg, Evan is holding blade of her free leg and is pushing her backwards.

Madison & Evan‘s free dance in numbers:

- 11 assisted jumps + 1 lift + 1 combo lift + 1lift and slide in the end of the program

- Madison’s time in the air is 35 seconds during 4 minutes of the program

- number of cross-overs - 26 by Madison, 46 by Evan (it was more, but I didn't count every cross-over when it was right before difficult turn).

- number of difficult turns in elements - 5 by both in Step Sequence, 4 by both in One Foot Section

- number of difficult turns beside elements - NONE

- holds – killian for about 7 seconds, two times almost waltz hold (in my opinion it was not established, they run away from it quickly) https://files.fm/u/kx732nq6x , NO tango or foxtrot hold, the rest of time in the program hand in hand (hand – arm) hold, few times Evan is holding Madison’s waist

I was surprised with the result myself.

I expect that the program was way more difficult in the beginning of the season, but constant changes led to inconspicuous simplifying, with the team forgetting to make sure that the program didn‘t lose its quality after changes done.

To protect Madison and Evan, rules nowadays have too many “non skating“ elements during the dance. Sliding and assisted jump elements are taking time although they say nothing about skating skills of the couple. The need to create difficult entry and exit from lifts and spin leads to multiple assisted jumps (another time loss and no way gliding / deep edge moments). This all reduces seconds for showing skating skills. When dance partners are not the best technicians they simply need certain number of cross-overs to get speed into Step Sequence and One Foot Section.

Maybe you will ask what’s wrong with that. I will try to explain.

Let‘s compare transitions with some couples of the past (Anissina & Peizerat, Weaver & Poje, Domnina & Shabalin, Virtue & Moir) and Madison & Evan.
https://files.fm/u/qz62sn2xs

Do you see the difference? Couples of past skated much closer to each other, in case of Weaver & Poje and Virtue & Moir even in waltz hold for a while, much bigger variations of step, less cross-overs.

Time in the air (lady):

- Madison is in the air 34 second (1 combo lift + 1 lift + assisted jumps)
- Tessa & Scott - Olympics 2010 FD - Tessa around 29 second (1 combo lift + 2 lifts + 1 additional lift without base)
- Ekaterina Bobrova & Dmitri Soloviev - Worlds 2017 FD - Katya around 26 seconds (3 lifts + choreo lift)

Although there were more lifts in past…Madison leads in air time.

Number of cross-overs:

- 26 cross-overs by Madison
- 46 cross-overs by Evan
I took old statistics from 2013/14 season:
- Dmitri Soloviev – Birds FD – 35 cross-overs (He was criticised a lot for such high number. It was a lot indeed, but he was skating to very fast music – Four Seasons by Vivaldi - which forced him to shorten cross-overs matching the rhythm of the music)
- Roman Kostomarov - 2005 Worlds FD – 23 cross-overs,
- Maxim Shabalin - 2010 Olympics FD – 25 cross-overs,
- Charlie White - 2013 NHK FD – 26 cross-overs,
- Scott Moir - 2013 TEB FD - 22 cross-overs,
- Andrew Poje - 2013 COR FD – 21 cross-overs,
- Luca Lanotte - 2013 NHK FD – 29 cross-overs,
- Fabian Bourzat - TEB 2013 FD – 21 cross-overs

Step Sequence:

Madison & Evan are spending a lot of time in hand in hand holds, big distance between each other, “waiting for“ moments (Madison is executing difficult turn, Evan is waiting...and vice versa). Let‘s compare Step Sequences of couples from past (Virtue & Moir, Domnina & Shabalin). The difference is enormous. Both couples from past have many difficult turns executed in one moment by both, much less hand in hand holds…
https://files.fm/u/r43jpedhy

Holds and difficult turns in Step Sequence:

- Madison & Evan – mohawk by both in hand - arm hold...counter by Evan in hand - arm hold...choctaw by Madison & rocker by Evan while in killian hold...choctaw by Evan in hand - arm hold...rocker by Madison in arm - waist hold...counter by Madison in hand hold coming into killian hold in the second part of the turn...double twizzle by both

Conclusion:
- 4 “waiting for“ moments (Madison is executing difficult turn, Evan is waiting...and vice versa)
- only one whole difficult turn executed in NOT hand in hand / arm hold
- NO waltz / tango / foxtrot holds established, no difficult turns in those holds

- Tessa & Scott - Olympic FD 2010 - skating close to each other (you can't have big distance being in waltz / foxtrot hold)....ONE FOOT SEQUENCE WITH DIFFICULT TURNS BY BOTH IN WALTZ / FOXTROT HOLD (Tessa - counter, rocker, counter, bracket, double twizzle, Scott - counter, rocker, bracket, double twizzle)...choctaw by Tessa followed with choctaw by Scott in foxtrot into waltz hold... SEQUENCE WITH DIFFICULT TURNS BY BOTH IN KILLIAN / WALTZ / FOXTROT HOLD (Tessa - rocker, choctaw, counter, mohawk, double twizzle, Scott - choctaw, counter, mohawk, double twizzle)...choctaw by both in killian hold

Conclusion:
- ALL DIFFICULT TURNS (without double twizzles) ARE EXECUTED IN WALTZ / TANGO / KILLIAN HOLDS
- all difficult turns were executed in one moment, once closely following each other
- NO hand in hand holds
- NO "waiting for" moments
- Tessa & Scott got 9.5 for Skating Skills at the Olympics

- Gabriella & Guillaume - Olympic FD 2018 – https://files.fm/u/wrwdmvtp7
- starting hand in hand with backward outside mohawk by both...counter by Gabi in hand - arm hold...into waltz hold with backward outside mohawk by Guillaume followed with ONE FOOT SECTION IN FOXTROT / WALTZ HOLD by Gabi (bracket + rocker + counter + double twizzle)...choctaw by both in killian hold…double twizzle by both…choctaw by Guillaume in waltz into foxtrot hold…choctaw by Gabi in hand in hand hold…ONE FOOT SECTION BY GUILLAUME IN FOXTROT / WALTZ HOLD by Guillaume (bracket + rocker + counter + double twizzle)

Conclusion:
- majority of time in waltz / killian / foxtrot holds
- only 4 difficult turns were executed in hand in hand / arm hold, 10 difficult turns in waltz / killian / foxtrot holds
- 3 times difficult turns were executed by both in one moment

Number of difficult turns during the step sequence mentioned above:

- Madison – 5 and Evan - 5
- Tessa – 11 and Scott - 10
- Gabriella – 9 and Guillaume - 9 (I am not sure with backward outside mohawk, it is not counted like difficult turn today, was it 5 years back?)

I know that rules in Step Sequences were modified throughout of years. But today's result is miles behind step sequences of past.

Transitions containing mostly cross-overs are not a obstacle to get extremely high Composition and Skating Skills score...this is also surprising.

Indeed Madison & Evan‘s FD is what ISU wants other couples to feel inspired by? Should other couples use this style of transitions and holds and then… they will be awarded by judges? Isn't it step back from ice dance and step forward towards pair cathegory?

I miss better transitions, closer distance between partners, more difficult turns and more difficult choreographies. Bring it back!