2023 World Championships Free Dance | Page 31 | Golden Skate

2023 World Championships Free Dance

yesterday

Record Breaker
I realize this is a serious discussion, so I'll apologize in advance for a little levity on the side. Back in the years mentioned when judges held up cards with the marks, there was a cartoon that had been clipped and posted on bulletin boards in every rink and club locker room where I skated. A row of solemn-faced judges are holding up two cards each with a mark, 5.2, 5.4, etc. Except for the last judge, who holds up one card on which he's written "Wasn't paying attention".
:biggrin:

1.jpg

VickB

On the Ice
CBC asked G/P about retirement or returning ..Piper was strongly shaking her head from left or right over and over .. ie I am done and probably only do shows...

Paul answered CBC ... he said "they" would reflect on it during the season...

Skatie

On the Ice
CBC asked G/P about retirement or returning ..Piper was strongly shaking her head from left or right over and over .. ie I am done and probably only do shows...

Paul answered CBC ... he said "they" would reflect on it during the season...
So was she shaking her head about retirement or returning? Could have been taken either way. As usual I’ll wait until Athletes make their announcements

viennaskater

Medalist
For me, the 1st place is clearly a lifetime achievement award. A well-deserved and 100% fair award.

C/B were leading after the short dance at the Worlds in 2015. But they didn't get the gold. Then, Shibutani took the lead, but C/B were still fighting, trying new styles and reinventing themselves.

Then, it was time for H/D. C/B were again second, but they kept delivering. They gave us the snake dance, the daft punk program. And when this season, the main rivals were not there anymore, they kept trying new things. At the beginning of the season, many of us were thinking that H/B should have won at Skate America. To reply, C/B changed the music, the dress, they improved their dance, and kept evolving as they always did. I have never been their fan, but I have a huge respect towards them. They deserved this gold as nobody else.
You make an excellent point here - I never used to like C/B in the past, their programmes did nothing for me, but over the last two or three seasons, I have been extremely impressed with what they've come up with. You are right, they kept reinventing themselves, and it is always great to see originality in ice dance.

I really wanted Piper and Paul to win this time. But I was also thinking that C/B have also been around a long time so why shouldn't they deserve it too? After G/P won the Grand Prix, I thought that they were in the best position ever to win gold. Then Piper had to have surgery, which curtailed their training. Bad luck for them. But hey, they made it into the medals again!

viennaskater

Medalist
I've seen a lot of comments about wishing Green/Parsons and how they should've done another modern art program. They got one, only it was from Chock & Bates and everyone decided they no longer wanted one.
It is a superb free dance but I thought they skated it better at Four Continents.

I actually don't see it as the same sort of program which Green/Parsons did last year. That was such an amazing 'contemporary dance on ice' with gorgeous music and so well performed that you kind of 'forgot' that they were on ice - it could have been on a stage.

I had high hopes to see what Green/Parsons would have come up with this season, and unfortunately their 'Rhapsody in Blue' left me completely cold.

viennaskater

Medalist
Another note on American team ... it would be my third criticism...

Maybe the most serious criticism ... the lack of dance and the visual of ice dancing.. this program was from 1990's Russians who did trick after trick and showcasing...
instead of ice dancing ..

I am a bit angry and sad 😔

Vick
Which American team do you mean exactly? Just curious.

skatedreamer

Medalist
Country
United-States
Apparently this wasn’t the case in 2014 either. At the GPF, Chock/Bates had a huge disruptive fall at the end of their short dance.
https://youtu.be/GwD-vISmlN8&t=3m15s

Judge #1 still gave them two perfect tens.
http://www.isuresults.com/results/gpf1415/gpf1415_IceDance_SD_Scores.pdf
The 10s were for choreography and interpretation, not for the other PCS categories. However, the same judge did score them much higher in the other areas as well. The fall did cost them a 1-point deduction.

Ryan O

Final Flight
Country
Canada
Or was she just shaking her head over being asked immediately and just meaning, "Give us a chance to calm down and think first!"
Yeah, I watched the CBC interview by Scott Russell with Piper & Paul and they said they have to catch their breath and take some time to think about things this Spring while they are on tour. That's basically the same thing they said in their CBC interview at this time last year.

So I don't think they have reached a decision yet. (But here's hoping they come back again and skate on home ice at Worlds next year). :)

Magill

Record Breaker
And yes, it goes with no doubts that a performance with a fall should not have gotten marks above 9.50 in an ideal world. But as this was not the case in 2017, why should it be in 2023 ?
Apparently this wasn’t the case in 2014 either. At the GPF, Chock/Bates had a huge disruptive fall at the end of their short dance.
https://youtu.be/GwD-vISmlN8&t=3m15s

Judge #1 still gave them two perfect tens.
http://www.isuresults.com/results/gpf1415/gpf1415_IceDance_SD_Scores.pdf
As far as I remember the rule was changed after 2018 OG, along with the Zagitova rule. They added 1 point deduction and a cap of 9.5 on the PCS in case of a fall (and lower caps for multiple falls) . Probably that's why.
I am not sure, though, how exactly it applies to ice dance as they have so many rules specific just to ID.

skatedreamer

Medalist
Country
United-States
As far as I remember the rule was changed after 2018 OG, along with the Zagitova rule. They added 1 point deduction and a cap of 9.5 on the PCS in case of a fall (and lower caps for multiple falls) . Probably that's why.
I am not sure, though, how exactly it applies to ice dance as they have so many rules specific just to ID.
IDK how much it matters, but the 2023 scoring sheet is somewhat different from the 2014 sheet linked above by @blueberryhill.
The 2014 sheet has 5 PCS categories:
  1. Skating Skills
  2. Linking Footwork/Movement
  3. Performance
  4. Choreography
  5. Interpretation/Timing
2023 only has 3:
  1. Composition
  2. Presentation
  3. Skating Skills
That said, even though C/B did get the mandatory deduction for the fall, 2 of the 2023 Worlds judges gave them 9.75 for skating skills. I assume that's where the fall should have been reflected; the 9.75 doesn't make sense to me.

Another thing that makes even less sense is judging by reputation, or who the team's coach is, or their skating federation. The ONLY thing that should matter to anyone is the performance itself. The rest has absolutely nothing to do with anything.

If an unknown team from a tiny federation shows up with a better program and performs better than the rest of the other competitors (according to the score sheet criteria), they deserve to win. Full stop.

Last edited: