2023 Worlds: Women SP | Thoughts | Golden Skate

2023 Worlds: Women SP | Thoughts

gsk8

Record Breaker
Country
United-States

It's going to be a very exciting event for the Women's FS on Friday!

So many great skates, but also a few disappointments, especially for Yelim Kim. Good to see Levito back and looking strong.

Heavy contender Yelim Kim of South Korea is in 17th place (60.02) after falling on a triple Lutz and missing a triple-triple combination.

"I made a big mistake at the first jump, so I was very sad about that," said Kim. "I don't really know what happened. It is something that I will have to think about from now. I was really working hard to train for the World Championships. It was pretty good when I was training at home, but when I arrived to Japan, I don't really know why, but my practice wasn't going that well."

What are your thoughts?

surimi

Congrats to Sota, #10 in World Standings!
Record Breaker
My only thought right now is that I'm looking forward to the evening, when I will curl on the sofa with hot tea and watch the entire segment :biggrin: 🍵 I couldn't watch live due to work, just looked at the results and based on those, I'm in for a treat.
I didn't know Dasha was retiring, so wishing her a successful career after this season!

purplecat

Final Flight
Country
United-States
I went to bed after the Pairs short and I woke up just before 3 am and thought "do I want to check in on the skating" and of course the answer was Yes! I first saw Chaeyeon Kim and watched the rest until the end (from bed so there was some dozing here and there). I missed Bradie and Amber so will watch them later. I was so pleased with Isabeau and really was touched at the audience's immediate standing ovation - what a special moment for her. Kaori was amazing - so confident, so fast and strong... deserving of her high score. Mai and Haein were both great though I would've had Mai higher. I thought Loena was going to go clean and then the fall came on the last jump - thought she was scored a bit high but then she didn't give up on the program after the mistake so good for her. A real shame about Yelim but not surprising given the practice reports...sounds like she might be injured? A shame for Rinka too - but she goes for the big risk and sadly it didn't work out for her. Big surprises and scores from Schott and Petrokina! After it was over (before 5 am) I went back to bed for a couple hours and now will be tired the rest of the day and of course the rest of the week as I suspect this will become my daily routine this week. lol

JimR

On the Ice
I thought two Japanese and one Korean but had the wrong Korean.

Kaori has an almost insurmountable lead given no-one has ultra-c, so obviously less variation in scores, less chance of mistakes. It doesn't look like pressure or expectation affects her one little bit. I can't see her failing.

I enjoyed Mihara's skate, I thought Levito showed real maturity, Haein Lee delivered. Schott achieved her maximum so well done.

Again, Luna completely blew up. It's the best chance she'll ever get to win gold, and if she landed that triple toe it would have been a comfortable second place with a good chance Saturday. I don't know, maybe being behind helps her Saturday and takes all the pressure off her, she can still easily medal.

The Japanese public are very respectful and polite, but it felt a little underwhelming despite a big crowd. Maybe I just got used to the bedlam of of other events this year where it's turned into a football like crowd for certain skaters. And I couldn't help but watch the final 6 and think what could have been for women's skating, but still it's a competition, the pressure for gold on Kaori and she was not phased one little bit by the pressure. A real champion skate.

By the way, I really enjoyed Belinda Noonan. A great addition to commentary.

Last edited:

macy

Record Breaker
Again, Luna completely blew up. It's the best chance she'll ever get to win gold, and if she landed that triple toe it would have been a comfortable second place with a good chance Saturday. I don't know, maybe being behind helps her Saturday and takes all the pressure off her, she can still easily medal.
she had one mistake, i'm not sure how that is completely blowing up :scratch2:

i think her score was fair given the quality of everything else and the fact she didn't let the mistake affect the rest of the performance. she was really into the choreo and was skating like she was clean. she's had a tough season this year and has had to learn how to deal with new pressure she's never felt before. she will be fine.

16Olympics

On the Ice
I saw the pairs' first two flights and went to bed. Woke up in time to see the women's last three flights. Very enjoyable to watch and as Mark said, the last group was intense.
I am happy so far but we will see who battles for 2nd and 3rd if Kaori is as solid in the free as she was today.

Big shoutout to Nicole Schott for immense improvement in skating this season. And Kimmy Repond was delightful and as she gets stronger she will be able to make her skating bigger.

Ultra hat tip to Kaori. Wow.

Getting up again for the men's sp. Probably to catch the last groups. I'm sorry to miss Torgachev just like I didn't get to see Bradie live but I am cheering for them.

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
I went to bed after the Pairs short and I woke up just before 3 am and thought "do I want to check in on the skating" and of course the answer was Yes! I first saw Chaeyeon Kim and watched the rest until the end (from bed so there was some dozing here and there). I missed Bradie and Amber so will watch them later. I was so pleased with Isabeau and really was touched at the audience's immediate standing ovation - what a special moment for her. Kaori was amazing - so confident, so fast and strong... deserving of her high score. Mai and Haein were both great though I would've had Mai higher. I thought Loena was going to go clean and then the fall came on the last jump - thought she was scored a bit high but then she didn't give up on the program after the mistake so good for her. A real shame about Yelim but not surprising given the practice reports...sounds like she might be injured? A shame for Rinka too - but she goes for the big risk and sadly it didn't work out for her. Big surprises and scores from Schott and Petrokina! After it was over (before 5 am) I went back to bed for a couple hours and now will be tired the rest of the day and of course the rest of the week as I suspect this will become my daily routine this week. lol
Sounds like we are in the same timezone. I set the alarm for 3, went backwards on the live Peacock stream to Bradie, Amber and Chaeyeon, then went forward in time to real time and saw the last two groups... will watch replays tonight. went back to bed and slept to 8:30 a. Annual checkup tomorrow and will ask doc about stress test. Then its up early for end of ladies free....I cant believe how long this season has been...so many comps...so many skates.....

liv

Record Breaker
Kaori was very strong.

My favourite was Mai, I love her programs and I have a soft spot for her considering her battles with arthritis while still delivering.

Loena, I've never loved her skating. That brand of entertainment is Just not for me... but the judges will reward her richly if she does a decent program.

Isabeau. Solid. There are things I love and things I dislike with her, but she's right close too.

It will be close. It's World's so politics can figure into it... but if you make big mistakes you take yourself out of it. Thank goodness I have Friday off !!! I can get up at crazy a.m and then go back to sleep!!

JimR

On the Ice
It was a perfect skate until then and only had to land the relatively simple triple toe. Similar to Europeans where it all went wrong on relatively easy jumps towards the end of each program. It cost her an easy European gold, and this mistake might cost her a worlds medal. These are huge errors.
i think her score was fair given the quality of everything else and the fact she didn't let the mistake affect the rest of the performance. she was really into the choreo and was skating like she was clean. she's had a tough season this year and has had to learn how to deal with new pressure she's never felt before. she will be fine.

All the medal contenders deal with the exact same pressure, with more pressure on the Japanese being a home event.

Luna is generally 210 skater, there's a lot skaters around that mark or above with the Japanese, Koreans, Levito. The last season or two have been an outlier for Luna more than anything.

RobinA

On the Ice
My thoughts - I wish I could watch, but their insistence on only showing it live makes that impossible. I realized yesterday that I would be able to watch exactly none of Worlds based on the times shown. I'd drop this sport altogether, but I've been a fan since 1968, making my break-up from it somewhat difficult. This is the first time I will miss Worlds in 50 some years.

macy

Record Breaker
It was a perfect skate until then and only had to land the relatively simple triple toe. Similar to Europeans where it all went wrong on relatively easy jumps towards the end of each program. It cost her an easy European gold, and this mistake might cost her a worlds medal. These are huge errors.

All the medal contenders deal with the exact same pressure, with more pressure on the Japanese being a home event.

Luna is generally 210 skater, there's a lot skaters around that mark or above with the Japanese, Koreans, Levito. The last season or two have been an outlier for Luna more than anything.
a triple toe is "easy" by itself, not at the end of a triple lutz combo. pretty clear you've never skated before.

MiraiFan

Final Flight

Mad respect to her--she had the twisties before Euros, which is really scary. I cannot with the costume though--it should be a deduction, full stop.

JimR

On the Ice
a triple toe is "easy" by itself, not at the end of a triple lutz combo. pretty clear you've never skated before.

Context. Luna is capable of winning a medal at a world championship. For someone at her level the triple toe is not physically difficult.

macy

Record Breaker
Context. Luna is capable of winning a medal at a world championship. For someone at her level the triple toe is not physically difficult.
hmmm, that's quite a double standard you have for the rest of the world vs a certain nationality of other skaters.

did Loena tell you herself a triple lutz triple toe is not physically difficult?

Minz

It's not over till it's over
Medalist
Country
United-States
My thoughts - I wish I could watch, but their insistence on only showing it live makes that impossible. I realized yesterday that I would be able to watch exactly none of Worlds based on the times shown. I'd drop this sport altogether, but I've been a fan since 1968, making my break-up from it somewhat difficult. This is the first time I will miss Worlds in 50 some years.
Fear not! I've DM'd you on VPN instructions so you can watch replays of the ISU stream on YouTube!

Mirunna

Record Breaker
I have enjoyed Loena's SP the most, error and all. She was all in, and the quality of everything she did was top notch, outside of the toe, but here she did not let it affect the rest of the performance at all. Close second was Kaori, who did a similarly wonderful job and was flying across the ice. Mad respect for how she came to defend her title skating like it's no big deal. Mai skates like she is on butter, her skating is very soft and elegant. She also stood out yesterday. The rest of the field was not that impressive in terms of quality and presence on the ice to me at least, but the competition was very very enjoyable.

lariko

Medalist
Country
Canada
With cbc schedule, I finally caught up. Sakomoto and Petrokina where highlights for me! And I dunno if it’s consensus or not, but if Levito could improve the telegraphed jump entries and add more energy, she will be fantastic. Though I still hope for better season for Thoringren next year. Unfortunately, nothing exciting from Schizas. Kurakova is joy, and I think spotlight is benefitting Gubanova in terms of focusing more on expression, but she is still tripping under pressure—though managing combo as Hail Mary was well done.
Forgot to add: C. Kim is top of my list to see live as well.