2023 Worlds: Men's SP | Thoughts | Golden Skate

2023 Worlds: Men's SP | Thoughts

gsk8

Record Breaker
Country
United-States

Go Jin!! I'm seeing Orser's influence now :) Great job Aymoz!

So glad Nordeback qualified! He really let it out on the steps. This program has always moved me.

Thank you Keegan for a fabulous last short!

I really enjoyed watching Uno. LOVE this program!

Shall we form a petition to beg Brown to stay another four years? He's contemplating next season, but one never knows!

What are your thoughts on the Men's SP?

readernick

Medalist
Quite a number of wonderful programs. Very enjoyable event. My faves Shoma and Jason were stunning. Kevin was back to his best. I love his unique modern dance style. Keegan ( the male Kaori/ very similar skating styles imho but he's a better spinner) skated with speed, no refinement, joy, charm and his technical elements were great. Jun had a great skate and really turned it on during the StepSeq. Lucas gave his performance his all. Adam and Matteo had some great moments despite their rough programs. I enjoyed Boyang's skating and programs ( outside of jumps) for the first time. Ilya's not at the top performance or SS wise but he was almost perfect technically.

Men's skating is so exciting because everyone has their own style. There is nothing cookie cutter about the programs or performances.It's been a wonderful Worlds so far. Pairs was great and this SP was great. Looking forward to the freeskate. Please skate well!

GGFan

Record Breaker
I finally got around to watching the men's short. That was an awesome event in general. So good that even one mistake put you far down in the standings.

Favorite things:
1. Jason Brown: the program was even more exquisite than at Nationals. I was so moved by the step sequence.
2. Clean programs from some of my inconsistent faves: looking at you Junhwan, Keegan, and Kevin. May the gods be with you during the free.
3. Performance commitment: Lucas kept up the attitude of that program throughout. I also have no idea how Kazuki does it--a delight. Adam SHF is all the way in from the first note.
4. Deniss' layover camel. Yes, it stood out.
5. Shoma's command of the ice. He skates like he's the defending world champ. Showstopper.

Least favorite:
1. Wonderful skaters with mistakes: Adam, Andrew T, & Matteo hurt my feelings.
2. Seeing Eteri & Dani G. Her pretending to be nurturing is a lot.
3. High GOEs for bad technique. Mule kick pre-rotated jumps should not get 3-5s.

skylark

Gazing at a Glorious Great Lakes sunset
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
My favorite skates: Ilia Malinen ❤️ :points: , Junhwan Cha, Keegan Messing

Ilia is adorable, and he has developed his very own style especially with this SP, "I Put a Spell on You." He's dancing, he's emoting, he's putting strong quick moves on the accents of the music, he's showing his personality as he skates. And then there's the incredible precision of his marvelous jumps, spins, and steps. That equates to high quality performance, and if artistry isn't expressing yourself to the music, I don't know what is. But that's okay; I'm so glad to be able to appreciate Ilia's amazing qualities. :)

surimi

Congrats to Sota, #10 in World Standings!
Record Breaker
Does anyone know if there's been a withdrawal? An article on Hochi News lists Sota as 16th twice, including the headline. But according to the result list, he's 17th. It's unusual for Hochi to contain such a big mistake, so I'm wondering if I'm missing some info.

lariko

Medalist
Country
Canada
Kinda expected more, but Messing, Malinin and Litvintsev delivered happy highlights. Really sad that both Italians under-delivered, but fingers crossed 🤞. Respect to Uno for skating this well with the injury. Oh, and Tomono is joy, hope he is okay!

noskates

Record Breaker
As always - Jason delivered. I loved the shot of Tracy and Brian watching him with such admiration. Keegan has been skating pretty much the same program for years now, just different music but he really seems to be enjoying himself so much it's hard not to smile when watching him. Ilia is the future. I wish he had better choreography but I do see improvement in his presentation. I think he has it in him. Kevin is always a delight to watch - such a showman. Not a Deniss fan. Shoma is just plain wonderful. He always delivers and this program especially shows just how much he's improved in all areas since being with Stephane. It pained me to see Eteri. That's all I'll say about that! Sorry that Andrew T went back to his old habits. He's such a beautiful skater but always seems to get the yips. Looking forward to the freeskate.

noskates

Record Breaker
I don't think Jason was skating for a medal. I think he was skating for himself, the love of competing and entertaining the crowd. Yes, a medal would have been unbelievably awesome but sadly he just doesn't have the firepower. The fact that he's so competitive in performance is what keeps him in the mix.

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
You’re generally right but Jason does have silver and bronze medals from 4CCs, and his scores at Olympics/ Worlds this year would have been good enough for bronze at Worlds in 2019 & 2022.
4CCs are demonstrably easier to win than Worlds. They are also super interesting because so many countries qualify that don’t qualify a skater to Worlds.

Believe me. I am not trying to throw shade on Jason. I hope this show/competition model he has worked out continues to work for him for years to come.

I’m just saying there are other things than jumps. Choreo sequence and step sequence only go up to level 1 - not sure if there is a B level - and they’re worth what, 3 points, with a max +5. Not everyone can do a quad, but I’m not sure anyone can do a choreo or step sequence like Jason can, and few can do spins like Keegan can. I actually have no beef with the winner because I thought he was the best all around skater. But I also think that if you’re the best at whatever, you should get rewarded appropriately.