2024 European Championships Pairs Short Program | Page 14 | Golden Skate

2024 European Championships Pairs Short Program

Jumping_Bean

Record Breaker
Also, I just want to say something - Yes, the top score at Euros is predictably lower than with the Russians, but at the same time, there are almost the same number of teams who have scored over 60 here as at Euros in the Olympic season (7 this year vs 8 back then, 3 of which were Russian).

I think that's a good sign for pairs skating, just as the rising number of pairs at Euros is another promising sign.

icewhite

Record Breaker
Also, I just want to say something - Yes, the top score at Euros is predictably lower than with the Russians, but at the same time, there are almost the same number of teams who have scored over 60 here as at Euros in the Olympic season (7 this year vs 8 back then, 3 of which were Russian).

I think that's a good sign for pairs skating, just as the rising number of pairs at Euros is another promising sign.

Honestly for me the scores don't matter that much. Most of the programs are just stuffed with elements (and everyone has pretty much exactly the same elements) and it's just boring to watch - I saw the current programs of Mishina/Galliamov and Boikova/Kozlovski and they are also not great in terms of an actual program.
Sure, I like some programs and find them kind of enjoyable - but it's more like "yeah, I can watch this without getting super bored" not "wow, I need to watch this again as soon as possible". And when a singles' girl I thought was special switches to pairs a lot of their glow seems to vanish in the strictness and synchronization.
Others will feel differently, but me, I think a change in the structure of pairs' programs and requirements and the whole discipline is needed.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
1. Who is zhen
2. I am not getting your calculation.
Of top 3 teams, 3 skaters were born in Russia and three not. Of top 6 teams 5 skaters are Russian and 7 not. Of top 6, 2 teams are mainly Russian coached, and if Savin is Russian, one partially coached by Russians.

How are you getting 5 of six?

Pl. Qual.NameNationW RusM
Rus
Coach
Rus
1QAnastasiia METELKINA / Luka BERULAVAGEOYYY
2​
Q​
Minerva Fabienne HASE / Nikita VOLODINGERNYSavin Maybe?
2 of 3 N
3​
Q​
Lucrezia BECCARI / Matteo GUARISEITANNN
4​
Q​
Maria PAVLOVA / Alexei SVIATCHENKOHUNYYY
5​
Q​
Rebecca GHILARDI / Filippo AMBROSINIITANNN
6​
Q​
Annika HOCKE / Robert KUNKELGERNNN

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
IMO. this was a very accomplished group of pairs.

As to scores, the tech panel was very tough, particularly on death spirals and SBS spins. These scores could have been significantly higher with other tech panels.

I thought M&B were a tad over scored and V-L & D a tad underscored, but really a well judged event

It is very encouraging to me that the attempted levels for skills were higher than at the last Europeans.

Kittosuni

Medalist

pesto

On the Ice
As a Brit I enjoyed the little bitt of jeapordy in the lower groups over whether we'd get two qualifiers.
Yeah, initially I thought we might not.

But both British teams put out their best, which meant they were in position to take advantage of any underperformance.

Hopefully, they are in a good position to keep two spots for next year.

paulusfr

On the Ice
Berulava (to goldenskate): "I am a bit upset because I expected a higher scores but it’s not me to decide."
I think the russians are the only ones who are constantly getting overscored and yet constantly complain about the scores.
Because let's be honest, this is a russian pairing. As a matter of fact, the whole georgian team is Russia under a different name and flag.

throw_triple_flip

Final Flight
Country
United-Kingdom
the podium tomorrow:
Gold for Georgia, Silver for Germany and the Bronze for Hungary
5 of 6 skaters are from Russia zhen, but it is like it is.

But the Paired disciplines have always been like that, having skaters from a mix of countries in teams. It's never been rare to have skaters competing for countries not of their birth. And there's a lot Pair skaters in russia. It"s not surprising so many compete for other countries

Would you consider the result at Sochi in 2014 not entirely a Russian victory then? What about the medals won for Russia by Yuka Kavaguti? Alisa Efimova?

Last edited:

throw_triple_flip

Final Flight
Country
United-Kingdom

Thing is though, even if it's likely that top Russians would place high in the field.. we've not seen them scored internationally in a while and there has been some significant changes in the scoring system (in theory it's arguably stricter). They weren't in front of this panel. And even then- those teams aren't flawless. They make mistakes. I recall there being some pretty messy skates from many (though not all) Russian teams in the years prior to the last olympics.

All we've seen from them recently are domestic scores, which aren't really reliable.

throw_triple_flip

Final Flight
Country
United-Kingdom
IMO. this was a very accomplished group of pairs.

As to scores, the tech panel was very tough, particularly on death spirals and SBS spins. These scores could have been significantly higher with other tech panels.

I thought M&B were a tad over scored and V-L & D a tad underscored, but really a well judged event

It is very encouraging to me that the attempted levels for skills were higher than at the last Europeans.

There's lots of new teams this year, but I think there may have been more last year..? So lots of teams more established now. It also felt to me that last year Pairs was almost in a post covid hangover phase. Training has gotten back to normal by that point but teams were still trying to make up for the time lost during the pandemic maybe?

Jumping_Bean

Record Breaker
Thing is though, even if it's likely that top Russians would place high in the field.. we've not seen them scored internationally in a while and there has been some significant changes in the scoring system (in theory it's arguably stricter). They weren't in front of this panel. And even then- those teams aren't flawless. They make mistakes. I recall there being some pretty messy skates from many (though not all) Russian teams in the years prior to the last olympics.

All we've seen from them recently are domestic scores, which aren't really reliable.
Sure, we've not seen them scored internationally in a long while, and sure they were not in front of this panel and sure they can make mistakes, but I doubt that under normal circumstances (3 Russian pairs), we'd not get at least one pair with a score in the mid/high 70s. To be fair, even domestic scores in Russia have gone down a bit, so I'm not sure Russian pairs would regularly top 80 in international competitions anymore, but over 70 isn't unlikely at all.

fishing

Rinkside
My thoughts on the short today-
Camera crew: Kisses for adding the country flag beside the technical tracker. Makes it easier to find my place when viewing the videos again online. Boos: inappropriate camera angles/zoom ins on the women athletes especially during the lifts. Focus on centering both skaters in the screen at all times. Please save the zoom ins and overhead shots for replays.
Hope that Camille is ok. Was I only one that saw how badly she landed? Mark and the camera crew were all about the replays
Looking forward to the free tomorrow and especially how the leaders fare against the experienced teams in that flight. Any of them could do it. It will be a good one.