2024 U.S. Nationals Senior Rhythm Dance | Page 18 | Golden Skate

2024 U.S. Nationals Senior Rhythm Dance

labgoat

Done updating WJC rewatches!
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I did not expect Bratti and Somerville to be the ones that landed in 4th.
I must admit I originally thought this team was getting lost in the group. But when I watched practice the other day, Ian drew my attention right away and the speed and ease of movement from him and Emily had me revising my thinking. I have not always been a fan of Ian for off-ice reasons, but he seems to have settled down and his talent is undeniable.

I did goof with the Browns a bit prediction wise. Earlier in the season they seemed slow in practice and turned it on for the competition and I thought that would happen again here as they have the personalities that rise to the occasion, but not so much today. Before I lost power (this time a rainstorm), I was noting that they are closer to the Czech teams in speed and glide. It hasn't fully developed yet for the Browns but that is where I think they are headed. They are still fairly new seniors and their smaller stature hurts them a bit in the same way it hurt Charlene & Marco at times. As we have seen with the Italians, it can be overcome.

auser

Record Breaker
I must admit I originally thought this team was getting lost in the group. But when I watched practice the other day, Ian drew my attention right away and the speed and ease of movement from him and Emily had me revising my thinking. I have not always been a fan of Ian for off-ice reasons, but he seems to have settled down and his talent is undeniable.

I did goof with the Browns a bit prediction wise. Earlier in the season they seemed slow in practice and turned it on for the competition and I thought that would happen again here as they have the personalities that rise to the occasion, but not so much today. Before I lost power (this time a rainstorm), I was noting that they are closer to the Czech teams in speed and glide. It hasn't fully developed yet for the Browns but that is where I think they are headed. They are still fairly new seniors and their smaller stature hurts them a bit in the same way it hurt Charlene & Marco at times. As we have seen with the Italians, it can be overcome.
"I have not always been a fan of Ian for off-ice reasons" please can you elaborate?

Last edited:

labgoat

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
"I have not always been a fan of Ian for off-ice reasons" please can you elaborate?
I'd rather leave the past in the past in case I am misremembering the exact details. I'm sure if you search the forum you can find information. I kinda wish I had not used that line and kept it to myself.

Last edited:

BlissfulSynergy

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Ummm, they are pleasant to watch, always have been. But it is Ian who is the star. Huge talent on display, and the one selling this team. Emily still has not quite caught up yet with Ian's abilities, but she's not terrible, so I guess it works. Still, not much separates teams 4 through 9 truthfully. It is just the artificial separation of scores for placements.

The bottom line is that teams slightly ahead of W/T and F/D have just been together a bit longer, and thus have the edge in international competitive experience and exposure. But in terms of talent it's a toss-up, among 4-9 especially. Zingas/Kolesnik are also an exciting, fairly new team. Their sophomore season has been a learning curve for Zingas, who only recently switched to ice dance from singles. Kolesnik, of course, is a junior World champion with Avonley Nguyen, his calling card, backed up by huge talent.

I guess since Brat/Somer are popular with U.S. fed (as coached by MIDA), that will continue to help them, despite the lopsided partnership. International teams, such as Davis/Smolkin and FouBrou/ Soren are not equal in ability either, but have succeeded in large part due to strengths of the better skilled partner.

BlissfulSynergy

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
I'd rather leave the past in the past in case I am misremembering the exact details. I'm sure if you search the forum you can find information. I kinda wish I had not used that line and kept it to myself.
@auser, reportedly Ian broke up with two partners, in ways that was felt by those partners to be upsetting. His first partner, Eliana Gropman, whom he grew up in the sport with, posted about what happened at the time. Ian was the best on the ice with Gropman. Had they stayed together, they would be competing against Car/Pon and Green/Parsons for the silver medal.

Ian's second partner was his former girlfriend. They were striking together on the ice, but Ian was the more skilled partner. I'm not sure exactly what happened, but after going second and third in juniors, Ian likely decided to switch to seniors a year prior to his eligibility ending. His second partner needed more time in juniors. It was not announced what the breakup was about. It is water under the bridge now. I suppose Ian will continue selling this current team while maybe Bratti will improve. She's capable, but not Ian's best matched partner, physically or in terms of skill level.

Last edited:

BlissfulSynergy

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
There skating edges and speed are top level. Shades of Hawayek/Baker, underscoring.
The Browns' speed significantly improved from last season. The part-time assistance from I.AM. has been a gamechanger for them. They looked good in the RD, but not quite as sharp as earlier in the season. Their ice coverage can improve.

taikwan

On the Ice
Ummm, they are pleasant to watch, always have been. But it is Ian who is the star. Huge talent on display, and the one selling this team. Emily still has not quite caught up yet with Ian's abilities, but she's not terrible, so I guess it works. Still, not much separates teams 4 through 9 truthfully. It is just the artificial separation of scores for placements.

The bottom line is that teams slightly ahead of W/T and F/D have just been together a bit longer, and thus have the edge in international competitive experience and exposure. But in terms of talent it's a toss-up, among 4-9 especially. Zingas/Kolesnik are also an exciting, fairly new team. Their sophomore season has been a learning curve for Zingas, who only recently switched to ice dance from singles. Kolesnik, of course, is a junior World champion with Avonley Nguyen, his calling card, backed up by huge talent.

I guess since Brat/Somer are popular with U.S. fed (as coached by MIDA), that will continue to help them, despite the lopsided partnership. International teams, such as Davis/Smolkin and FouBrou/ Soren are not equal in ability either, but have succeeded in large part due to strengths of the better skilled partner.
I know nothing but while he may have talent etc etc, the way he milks partners and then dumps them r.e.a.l.l.y bothers me. A lot because we all know there are more females looking for partners vs the other way around and because he has proven if he's in a partnership, they will climb up the ranks especially having the coaches that they do have. I just want some loyalty here. Some trust. Do the right thing. So many are so freaking thirsty and yes, I recognize that the 4-year Olympic calendar dictates -always- that time and circumstance are critical...but doesn't or shouldn't the element of caring for/about your partner who has BEEN there count for something?

labgoat

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I have one last comment, told you so - Remember when I said Christina was getting swallowed by her old dress and that she needed a new one. See what a difference her new dress made - she looked incredible.
I did also want to comment that her hair is being styled like Marina Klimova now.