2024 U.S. Nationals Senior Rhythm Dance | Page 17 | Golden Skate

2024 U.S. Nationals Senior Rhythm Dance

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
They withdrew from here but are greatly missed. Here is a taste of what Kaitlin Hawayek & Jean-Luc Baker were planning for their RD. I wish them the best of health as happiness and they step back from competition.

Hopefully they will be back next year.

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Yep, we either get no commentary on Peacock or lame, incompetent commentary. Sigh.

Tanith & Charlie were so good, fair and balanced as commentators. Their coaching expertise is probably okay, but still a work-in-progress. I miss them in the commentating booth, honestly. But yeah, they've moved on to trying to build a training academy, with much support from U.S. fed.
No, we got Mark Henretty through the GP season. That was great.

throw_triple_flip

Final Flight
Country
United-Kingdom
Hoping the previous groups are on the rewatch soon

Bratti and Somerville were my favourites in the final group. Or maybe Green and Parsons

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
So, scores aside, I'm in agreement with the placements. They came out as they would if I had gotten to choose.

Of course, I'm at the mercy of the caller in terms of levels, but in terms of how much I enjoyed the programs... it matches up.

And whatever scores they achieved, the gap between C/B and the rest of the field is justified. They weren't just better, they were miles better.

BlissfulSynergy

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Oona & Gage with new costumes, but not all that much of a step forward, IMHO
Yeah, they didn't look as sharp to me as they did earlier in the season. I wasn't that impressed. I like the new costumes, and they have certainly been helped by I.AM coaches and environs, and by the so important politics and perception in the ice dance discipline. But yep, not the strongest step forward here. Although, of course, it is great for them to be in 6th, as opposed to overall 9th last season.

Green/Parsons are clearly talented, but they have lost a lot of momentum, and as a result, have lost confidence. And that's apparent on the ice. Their performance, while good, was not memorable. It did not stand out or draw us in. It remains to be seen if they can find new direction, focus, and unified energy that translates into purposeful momentum on the ice. I liked what I saw in practices of how their FD has grown this season. So I would not count them out from being able to retake the second spot.

Car/Pon have been together a long time and they've weathered quite a bit of ups and downs. A huge constant has been that they are well-liked, and Anthony's parents being Olympic gold medalists in ice dance, has always given C/P 'recognition' status. OTOH, Anthony has seemed to peak and level off. He has successfully rehabbed from injury, which is great. But now, he is not as much the stronger partner. Christina has blossomed so much with the help of Scott Moir and Madi Hubbell. ✨️ I think Madi is not at U.S. Nats because she's pregnant and perhaps her due date is close?

I have thoughts about the other teams, which I will share in a separate post.

Last edited:

BlissfulSynergy

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
No, we got Mark Henretty through the GP season. That was great.
I'm talking about U.S. Nationals on Peacock, not other events this season.

But my comments still hold true, in any case. Mark can be very good, fair and balanced. He certainly knows ice dance too. Yet, some of his commentary with Ted in juniors didn't always hit the mark. Overall, they were okay (and they clearly enjoyed having fun bantering with each other).

Mark is good at pointing important things out, and he does not talk too much over performances. He is very good in the booth by himself too. One critique is that he can err on the side of bowing to status quo talking points. But he also is not afraid of voicing fair opinions. He is kind to the skaters, which is nice.

Last edited:
Reactions: bgg

BlissfulSynergy

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Actually, I like the Johnny and Ben combo quite well, and nobody is more surprised than I am.

I think playing second-fiddle in terms of technical knowledge has toned him down to a tolerable level.
LOL! Johnny has learned a lot about ice dance, so he is able to hold his own with Ben, in a relaxed way. No Tara in the booth for Johnny to sometimes defer to, play off of, and be protective of.

Last edited:

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
LOL! Johnny has learned a lot about ice dance, so he is able to hold his own with Ben, in a relaxed way. No Tara in the booth for Johhny to sometimes defer to, play off of, and be protective of.
Disagree with the first part, agree with the second.

In no way can Johnny hold his own with Ben in terms of ice dance knowledge or commentary. Johnny's comments were mostly about the drama and the vibe. Ben's commentary was of this type: "The judges will look to see if he maintained the same body angle throughout the curve lift and not change it." But I'll concede it depends on what an individual is looking for.

But you're absolutely correct in that Johnny is better without Tara.

rain

Record Breaker
The scores are typical nationals inflation, so it's the placements that are so interesting.

That was fascinating for the political manoeuvring of the 4th to 7th ranked teams. I did not expect Bratti and Somerville to be the ones that landed in 4th. I still think Zingas/Kolesnik might pass them in the free. Pate and Bye got the short end of the stick.

The top three seem to be quite solidly in place, I'd say. Interesting how Carreira/Ponomarenko's stock has been quietly rising this season while Green/Parsons took a big hit last season and have not recovered.

Chock/Bates's RD has been a total dud for me all season and that hasn't changed. From the music to the choreography to the costumes (yes, sorry, I hate her dress here and normally she's the best dressed by a landslide), I don't like it. My fav RD dance of theirs was by far was the Billie Eilish from the Olympic season.

Edited to add that Carreira/Ponomarenko were my favourites. Stevie Nicks? Yes please!

Last edited:

Cilla70

On the Ice
Tiny but Mighty are the Browns. Sweet people too!

Yes siblings, but it is a speed thing.
It just looks different on the Browns because they are tiny and mighty.
They skate on the edge just like the Czechs do and Bella & Vanya.
There skating edges and speed are top level. Shades of Hawayek/Baker, underscoring.

auser

Record Breaker
Emilea Zingas/Vadym Kolesnik RD US Nationals video:

This poster has many us nationals rd videos. Watch/get them while you can:

https://www.youtube.com/@virtuemoired# ;)

Last edited:

labgoat

Done updating WJC rewatches!
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Emilea Zingas/Vadym Kolesnik RD US Nationals video:

This poster has many us nationals rd videos. Watch/get them while you can:

https://www.youtube.com/@virtuemoired# ;)
there are more in the rewatch

labgoat

Done updating WJC rewatches!
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Chock/Bates's RD has been a total dud for me all season and that hasn't changed. From the music to the choreography to the costumes (yes, sorry, I hate her dress here and normally she's the best dressed by a landslide),
Here we diverge. I know we've had enough of the music from too many others. But CB did it so well. That program was packed with so much energy and so many details - especially the emergence of Evan from the shadows. I loved the costume and the choreo. The last rotational lift still makes me a bit nervous, but i find the program very, very fun and on point for the 80s.