4CCs Article Day 3 | Page 2 | Golden Skate

4CCs Article Day 3

enlight78

Medalist
After looking at Hsush's video I have come to the conclusion that Evan is capable of scoring a non'inflated score >160 in tokyo. I believe his Quadruple toe triple toe was better at nationals. It look like Evan had little bit more than a 1/4 turn cheat at 4CCs. I have to say, compared to the 2005 -2006 season the judging has improve some. There is hope

slutskayafan21

Match Penalty
I guess I'm the only one who thinks that there might have been a difference in the quality of Lysacek's two performances.

At U.S. Nationals he got a +2 GOE for his quad/triple, and at Four Continents he only got a 0.43. Maybe it's home town judging.

That a +2 GOE for Evan's quad at U.S Nationals was stictly a U.S Nationals judgement should not even be something you have to think twice about. :laugh:
If Evan's quad is a +2 GOE then the quads of Plushenko, Lambiel, and Joubert would be worth straight +3s across the board.

His Four Continents quad was a 0.43 because that is a more appropriate score for his quad, period. No need to analyze any deeper then that.

kittycat26

Match Penalty
There were US judges at US nationals and ISU judges at 4CC. Of course there will be a dropoff from US Nationals to 4CC, as Nationals scores are always inflated. But why should there be a dropoff from 4CC to Worlds in Tokyo?

The ISU judges at 4CC for the men's event were from AUS, AUT, BUL, CAN, CHN, FIN, GER, ITA, JPN, SVK, SLO and USA and the technical panel was from BEL, JPN and SVK.

The judges for Worlds will include judges from BLR, BUL, CAN, FRA, GER, GBR, ISR, ROM, RUS, SRB, SVK, SLO, RSA, SWE, SUI and USA. Interesting, the Men's panel will have no judge from JPN (but possibly the Referee will be Japanese).

I don't see that there is going to be all that great a difference in the scores given for elements based on the composition of the judging panels from 4CC and Worlds.

A 10-point dropoff? Only if there is a big drop in performance level.

I never said I believed a 10 point dropoff from Four Continents to the World Championships would occur. That is closer to the dropoff from National championships to the Four Continents, I do not believe the dropoff from Four Continents to Worlds would be to the proportion of that from Nationals to Four Continents. I just stated I believed it would be a further dropoff, not a further 10 point one.

One of the many unfortunate patterns of judging this year I have come to notice is skaters scoring higher in their own countries. At each GP event it seemed the pattern of skaters receiving elevated scores in their own country, in relation to their scores in events outside of their own country, was very much in evidence on consistent basis. So in all I see no reason to expect why any other international events, such as the Four Continents event, should be believed to be any different in that regard.

Last edited:
There's one funny thing about all this. In the past, the word on Lysacek was that the U.S. judges held him down, preferring Weir. But the international judges kept giving Evan those bronzes, perhaps to "send Johnny a message" (not sure of what the message was, except "skate better.")

This year, all of a sudden we realize that we got it backward. It's the U.S. judges that like Evan and the international judges that will mark him down next month.

SeaniBu

Record Breaker
Sounds like, if Evan wins he is inflated, if he looses, he is held back. Same sounds true of Johnny. ??? Couldn't have anything to do with skating and dedication could it?;)

Hsuhs

Record Breaker
I think that the 4CC judges wanted a guy with a quad place higher than a guy w/o one. As usual, they used PCS to achieve that effect. Besides, Evan didn't fall.

Regarding his cheated (royally prerotated) axels... well, the cheating is in the eye of the beholder. (The same goes for Kimmie's 3-3 combos. You're free to like them, as well as to think they are, in fact, 2-2s. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qRJWWVYqGqo)

Evan's PCSs suggest that not all judges are fond of his skating. Interesting how his double axel got a "-1" from one judge. Was it a typo, or did he/she expect a triple axel at that point, instead?

This is how I see it.

Last edited:
Well, he had already done two triple Axels, so the judge couldn't have been expecting another.

Yeah, those PCSs are fun. One judge gave Evan 8.50 and another 6.50 for performance/execution.

Judges are anonymous, but does anyone want to guess which was the U.S. judge and which the Canadian? ;)

Hsuhs

Record Breaker
Well, he had already done two triple Axels, so the judge couldn't have been expecting another

Yes, shouldn't have. But why than punish Evan for his perfectly OK double axel?

I think some judges might be trying to compensate for theis colleagues' alleged low scores.