"8-triple" Ladies Freeskate | Page 2 | Golden Skate

"8-triple" Ladies Freeskate

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
Mao is capable too now that both her 3Lz and 3F-3Lo has been ratified this season. She just needs to put it all together. Liza hasn't landed 1 fully clean 3A this season (keeping my fingers crossed for her to go to the European event or World or WTT). Further proving that a 3A is as much a mental jump as it is a difficult one for both men and ladies.

I'd love to see that. My skepticism is that the lutz take-off is not reliable and triple loop combinations are notoriously hard to get ratified. Liza does the 3T-3T which is much easier, is capable of landing all the jumps with just the 3A questionable (at least in practice).

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
Well, then it becomes a tree falls in the woods scenario...

If a pairs team cleanly executes a quad twist or quad throw in the SP - even if it doesn't get them any points - does this mean they make history as the first pair to ever do a quad in the SP? :biggrin:

Or is it disregarded as historical because it doesn't meet the guidelines of the SP/doesn't get any points?

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
Also, if a skater flutzes (e.g. Mao does an 8-triple program but her lutz gets an e), is this considered a legitimate 8-triple program?

nolangoh

Steps and Spirals enthusiast
Record Breaker
I mean, yes, practically you jump 8 triples even though the one of them would be Zayaked and will receive no value, but it did happen that you performed 8 triples. So in such case, if we look from a realistic perspective, I would say a skater "practically" did an 8-triple program, but just not "theoretically" an 8-triple program.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
Men's nine-triple program with two each 3A, 3F, and 3T

It violates the Zayak rule by repeating three different triples. So do you want to count it as a historic nine-triple program or not? Your answer should then also apply to ladies who do eight by violating a rule or two.

Technically, it's (presumably) the first time 9 triples have been performed in a program. I think in that case though it isn't an "achievement" in that it's 9 triples because of the tripled quad, whereas in ladies to turn a 2A to a triple at the end is actually increasing difficulty.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
Is Surya Bonaly the first skater to have successfully executed a backflip in the Olympics even though it was an illegal move that didn't count for points? Point being, even if doesn't fall under the rules, it can still be an achievement. ;)

gkelly

Record Breaker
Technically, it's (presumably) the first time 9 triples have been performed in a program. I think in that case though it isn't an "achievement" in that it's 9 triples because of the tripled quad,

I don't think he was planning a quad here -- it wasn't until the following season that he started attempting them in competition.

I think he just lost count. Probably he was thinking "I'll repeat the triple axel and the triple flip, they have to be in combination one of those times, so I'll put a triple toe on the end of each" without considering that that also involved repeating the triple toe.

da96103

Record Breaker
In the figure skating world, a ladies' '8-triple programme' does not carry the literal meaning of jumping 8 triples.
An 8-triple programme implies jumping 6 different triples and 2 repeated triples.
A programme comprises 5 different triples and 3 repeated triples would not be called an '8-triple programme'.

If a skater does 5 different triples and 3 repeated triples and zayaked one of the jumping passes, and a commentator said, "This is the first 8-triple programme this skater has done." the commentator would have lost all credibility in commentating.

gkelly

Record Breaker
Is Surya Bonaly the first skater to have successfully executed a backflip in the Olympics even though it was an illegal move that didn't count for points?

Terry Kubicka did a backflip in his freeskate at the 1976 Olympics.

And then the ISU passed a rule afterward to make backflips illegal.

So you could say that Bonaly was the first to do an illegal backflip at the Olympics (it had been done illegally at least once at US Nationals before that).

Also, he landed on two feet (as most skating backflippers do) and touched his hands down: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AdH921rNkT4&t=6m06s. There are no official standards for what makes a backflip "successful" in skating terms -- landing on the feet and not the head or back would probably be necessary. If you want, you could specify a definition that makes Kubicka's Olympic backflip unsuccessful and Bonaly's successful.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
I'd probably say Bonaly's backflip was a successful one (two feet would have been fine but hands down isn't a clean backflip IMO -- but thanks for that ... I had no idea somebody had attempted it so many years earlier in competition! at the time it must have been spectactular to watch). So silly that backflips are illegal, but some inverted lifts and throws and jumps aren't particularly safe themselves.

OS

Sedated by Modonium
Record Breaker
Hypothetical question.

With out the Zayak rule and you get unlimited jump passes, no half way bonuses within the 4.30s minutes with musicality and interpretation, complete with - 3GOE, <, <<, e, ! for poor execution
- who will win them all!

Men + Ladies + 11 years olds

Will Hanyu break 400? :laugh:

Last edited:

Sai Bon

Final Flight
Country
New-Zealand
According to these statistics compiled by coaches Christy Krall and Trevor Laak, no jump requires as long as a full second of air time. A quad toe has about 0.63 seconds in the air and a triple toe less than half a second.

https://skatecoach.wordpress.com/20...ps-a-review-of-minimum-air-times-trevor-laak/

A 4-minute program has 240 seconds. Assuming you didn't waste a lot of time setting up ("telegraphing") you should be able to do a couple hundred easily. :yes:

Hey thanks Mathman, I always wondered what telegraphing meant!

Shayuki

Record Breaker
I'll just make a bold prediction that Tsurskaya will skate a clean 8 triple program next season.

Shayuki

Record Breaker
Is she also training the 3A?

«Но аксель в три с половиной оборота в конце сезона учить начнем», - рассказала Полина.

With google translate: "But Axel is three and a half turns at the end of the season start to learn," - said Polina.

source