A mini-battle between Mao Asada and Yu Na Kim at the 'Winter Asian Games'? | Page 2 | Golden Skate

A mini-battle between Mao Asada and Yu Na Kim at the 'Winter Asian Games'?

Kwanford Wife

Record Breaker
At least she has that lifetime pension. Though if she's that bad, why does she even bother to rehab to go to worlds. It's not as if she's going to miraculously heal in 2 months. She might as well take 2 years off and make sure she really gets better.

All jokes aside, is her back that seriously injured or is simply apart of of the sport?

soogar

Record Breaker
All jokes aside, is her back that seriously injured or is simply apart of of the sport?

I'm looking for definite answers however I can't find any. I have read posts on FSU that she had collapsed in practice due to the pain and on this thread I see something on herniated disks.

Either way, if she were a regular person she would be out of commission for months with a back injury. I suppose injuries of all kinds are part of sport. However I am under the impression that she wants to compete and win the big title and she is pushing to get out there.

antmanb

Record Breaker
At least she has that lifetime pension. Though if she's that bad, why does she even bother to rehab to go to worlds. It's not as if she's going to miraculously heal in 2 months. She might as well take 2 years off and make sure she really gets better.

Well its a personal choice, for me no money in the world could compensate me for being unable to walk YMMV.

Ant

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
The pain from herniated disks is severe. That's why she collapsed. If she further exacerbated the condition (disk completely slipping or perforating), she would be theoretically able to walk, but in excruciating pain. I guess from the South Korean federation's point of view, being in pain is not a legitimate excuse for skipping such an important competition as the Winter Asian Games. :scowl:

Fossi

Final Flight
This poor girl! I wonder if she's getting alot of pressure from her federation? There's so much expected of her.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
People keep saying Kim's injury isn't that serious. It isn't serious in the context of being life-threatening, but when it comes to quality of life, it can be very serious. I have known people who've suffered with severe back pain due to slipped and/or ruptured disks, and believe me their activities are extremely limited, and they do not enjoy their lives.

Kim's injury isn't quite that bad---right now. But if she is forced to compete before this current flare-up subsides, it could potentially get worse.

I have read that Emily Hughes has said she is glad that she doesn't compete for South Korea. I'd bet many other skaters feel the same way. It's a sad commentary when a skater's personal health and well-being has to take a back seat to the prestige of her federation.

soogar

Record Breaker
Where is the quote from Emily Hughes? ANd has it been confirmed that she has herniated disks?

R.D.

Record Breaker
I'd also like to know when Emily said that. Also, isn't all this just speculation? Is Yu-na going to the Asian games for SURE now?

soogar

Record Breaker
I also want to add that maybe that quote is not necessarily in reference to Yu Na's treatment but rather the attention focused on Yu Na because she is the only top level figure skater. I have just seen an interview on FSU and other places where the Korean media asks Yu Na "who is prettier, her or Mao"- Yu Na declined to answer and said what kind of question is that- imagine that being asked to Sasha about her competition.

Last edited:

Kwanford Wife

Record Breaker
This poor girl! I wonder if she's getting alot of pressure from her federation? There's so much expected of her.

Um... and we're different how? Last time I checked most US skaters were limping around like the walking wounded and we fans still question their injuries and basically call them sucky whiny babies who need to suck it up... But get all high & mighty when a foriegn skater deals with injuries & blame their federation... who do we US fans blame? The tooth fairy? Just a thought...

SeaniBu

Record Breaker
Korean media asks Yu Na "who is prettier, her or Mao"- Yu Na declined to answer and said what kind of question is that-

I can't believe they asked a stupid question like that of her (and Duh) I think they should familiarize themselves with the term "pimp slap" by getting one right in the kisser! How dare they deliberately trivialize the media attention like that. No wonder the only Korean TV I have EVER seen is Soap operas and commercials.

I see there is a lot ("allot" might fit there??) of pressure because she is the one. I hope they don't push her to the point of permanent damage, and she doesn't fall into that either. One thing she should realize, is who else could they replace her with???? It is not as "dangerous" to say "no" to them as someone like Miki saying I need a break.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
What she has is herniated disks in her spine. That means the disks are bulging, which causes them to press on the spinal nerve, hence the pain.

attyfan

Custom Title
Medalist
I also want to add that maybe that quote is not necessarily in reference to Yu Na's treatment but rather the attention focused on Yu Na because she is the only top level figure skater. I have just seen an interview on FSU and other places where the Korean media asks Yu Na "who is prettier, her or Mao"- Yu Na declined to answer and said what kind of question is that- imagine that being asked to Sasha about her competition.

IIRC, the post on FSU had Yu Na answering the "who is prettier" question by saying "That question sucks". Seriously, the way she handled it should be adopted by all skaters -- and I can't wait until Peter C gets hit with that answer!

M

mylastduchess

by the way where does it say that Mao is going to this event?