ABC Interrupts Men's GP Finals | Golden Skate

ABC Interrupts Men's GP Finals

with a report by Home Security which told us they were upping the color because of some chatter they heard. Chatter was explained as rumors about a possible strike. It couldn't wait until the evening news. I suppose I was to rush out and get more duck tape. I mean what else could I do.

Meanwhile, CBS and FOX continued their football coverage while PBS continued with a bio of Dickens. Apparently it was not all that newsbreaking for them.

Yoiu figure the emergency that did not get full coverage. An election scare?

Anyway Sandhu was cut short and Plush never got a showing. Was it like this in other parts of the country?

Joe

windspirit

On the Ice
Joesitz said:
Meanwhile, CBS and FOX continued their football coverage while PBS continued with a bio of Dickens. Apparently it was not all that newsbreaking for them.
:laugh: And it wasn't the first time it happened. Somehow they always have to show "breaking news" during skating coverage (often only there -- yeah, I can see all those people tuning in only to get the message, hehe...)

Anyway Sandhu was cut short and Plush never got a showing. Was it like this in other parts of the country?
I missed it, so I don't know. But if they cut Eman's skate short, and didn't show Evgeni, then I wouldn't be as angry at myself that I missed it, after all. I would be angry at them (the geniuses behind it). ;)

Last edited:

Lynn226

On the Ice
Same thing happened here. I sent in my letter of complaint. Mine wasn't quite as colorful as windspirit's.

Johar

Medalist
When it first broke, a shockwave went through my body as I thought the worse--plane crash, bomb explosion, another major terrorist strike in the USA. That quickly changed to ire as I wanted to see Plushenko skate, even though he's not a favorite of mine.
Yes it could've waited, though it was important information.

Spark

Rinkside
My FIRST reaction was irritation. I started yelling at the TV screen, then caught myself, thinking something terrible might have happened in the US, something having to do with more terrorism. Then when I realized what it was, and they just kept droning on and on without really given any information, I got even more annoyed.

Cripes, Sandhu's first great skate on an international level, and I didn't even get to see it all! Not being able to see ANY pairs or dance all season because no Canadian networks covered the GP series is bad enough.

RussianBolero

Rinkside
At first I thought I'd sat on the remote control and changed the station, then I realized it was a news flash...I'd really been into Sandhu's skate and felt rather jolted and very disappointed...then even more disappointed when I realized I'd missed Plush (my favorite).

Unless the bombs are actually falling on my head (and being near DC, I guess they could be)...I don't want them to interrupt my skating...and come to think of it, if the bombs *must* fall on my head, I'd rather be watching Plushenko skate whilst going to my Maker than watching Tom Ridge drone on and on.

I'm still quite confused about what happened and how Sandhu won...thrilled for him but not sure what happened to Plush. Could someone either tell me what happened to Plush or point me to a thread if someone's already answered this? Thanks...

Don't they usually repeat GPF somewhere along the line? I hope so...

Johar

Medalist
Somewhere down the line it probably will repeat. I also wanted to see what happened to Plush.

RealtorGal

Record Breaker
I'm SO irritated. My local TV guide, my Internet guide, and the station that has TV listings scrolling constantly all listed GPF today on ABC from 3-5. Of course, there was NO skating on from 3-5; rather, some irritating golf tournament. I wrote a nasty email to local and ABC programming. If it was televised earlier, I'd have missed it anyhow, since I planned on it being on at 3. GROWL! :cry: :mad: :p

IDLERACER

Medalist
If it's any consolation, you didn't miss anything too unusual, Realtorgal. Just another ordinary episode of the "Sasha starts out strong but falls on her butt near the end" show.

CassidyL

Rinkside
Joesitz said:
Was it like this in other parts of the country?

Joe

No, it wasn't. I was watching it on Detroit when it was interrupted, so I waited a couple hours and caught it on the Seattle feed . Digital TV people! Never miss anything again! :)

mpal2

Final Flight
It probably won't do any good, but this is the letter I wrote to ABC.

I understand that National Security is important, but is there any reason why ABC has to do their Chicken Little cry of "the sky is falling" during the biggest skating upset of the season? The man (Emanuel Sandhu) that beat the reigning king of figure skating (Evgeni Plushenko) got his program cut in half and we didn't get to see the king himself throw away a win.

The other stations went on with life as normal and probably announced the "big news" during the regular news time. If you just had to panic and announce it, haven't you ever heard of the streaming line of information at the bottom of the screen?

You're continued disrespect of the sport of figure skating is getting old. We have to wait months to see competitions and then we don't get to see many skaters because you fill it with junk and fluff pieces. Then to top it all off, you interrupt a big moment with something that really wasn't that big of news. Do you really think any of us are surprised that the world is pissed off and we have to be on alert?

mpal2

Final Flight
Cassidy,

How are you able to get a West Coast feed? I've been trying to get different feeds of ABC from my satellite company and I'm getting the run around. They keep quoting the Satellite Home Viewer Act. I am so angry at all of them.

CassidyL

Rinkside
It's called "Time Shifting" We have it on our Starchoice, and my brother gets it on Expressvu. This is in Canada. We get every NA zone from Newfoundland to Pacific......5 in all, in Canada, and both east coast and west coast for American networks.

Check it out here:

Starchoice

Last edited:

curious

Final Flight
nothing happened to plushy he skated better than sandhu but got killed by the new system for doing a thrid combo,that's why he lost.:D

eliza88

On the Ice
Wow what a change--the East coast gets screwed and the West coast doesn't! They aired all programs in Seattle. It was nice to see Sandhu skate well though most of his landings look unsteady. His body line is stunning and I always like his originality. Dick Button was going beserk! Plushenko had a very good skate--one that he was very proud of. Terry Gannon and Dick Button were absolutely positive that the gold was to be his. When it turned out to be Sandhu's Dick was saying how much he loved that the new system rewarded the overall performance and not just the jumps. Peter Carruthers interviewed Plushenko at the end and Plushy was genuinely happy with his performance, liked his new combonation and something like, "I think today, Emmanuel skated better than I did." He said this nicely and with a smile on his face.

eliza88

Jhar55

Medalist
Mpal2, how to get all the ABC stations from East to West Coast and all the time zones in between? If you get a dealers satellite card not easy to do, or if you know some one who makes bootleg cards that's how.

amazonprincess

Rinkside
I suppose as a result of my west coast location I didn't get the newsflash, and I did get to see the Men's programs. Unfortunately, my cable went out right before Sasha was to skate, so I didn't get to see her or Fumie's LP. It made me sad.

Anyone care to say how that went? (unless it is in another thread, if so, point me to it?)