Actual pairings with amazing potential | Golden Skate

Actual pairings with amazing potential

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
This thread is to discuss about real pairs - not imaginary ones or concocted teams for dance or pairs - competed in dance or pairs but had so much potential but in your mind never quite reached that full potential.

I will start off by suggesting a few. In dance, Krylova and Oksianikov I believe would have had a very good shot of winning the 2002 OGM. Technically they were sharp, crisp, great lines, fast and theatrical. They skated a little cleaner than the French A and P. But injury knocked them out.

Usova and Zhulin also in dance in my opinion were a wonderful team in the vein of Klimova and Pomarenko - such wonderful ines and passion but for personal issues affected this team to the point that their strong point romantic and dramatic pieces were traded in for a puppet routine which while well done did not show case what they were best at However, this team had to wait its turn for K and P to finish their reign and by the time they were ready to really take over their marriage really affected their entire skating. Too bad because they could have been a real memorable dance team.

A squared will long be forgotten or may not even be remembered but buefore AP there was Anasinna and Averbuch. A squared combined the dramatic lead diva and a technically amazing male - some argue one of the best if not the best male ice dancer. Had love not got in the way - Avrted to skate with his love - no slouch herself at ice dancing who knows what would have happened.

Babilonia and Gardner in pairs are another pairing tht unfortunately due to his injury at the 1980 Olympics we will never know if they could have beaten the great Rodina and her partner Zaitzev. Tai and Randy had unique moves and throws back then and would be very interesting to compare with the Russians. But fate had it they never competed when they were both at the top.

Yamaguchi and Galindo are another team which while artistically may not have risen to the magic of Gordeeva and Grinkov but they technically had huge potential. It is understandable why Kristi would want to focus on their singles but they technically especially on the jumps which back then woud have given them a greater edge than today had huge potential and when they retired they already were so so very close to a world medal.

Okay I will add I and K and dance. Olympic bronze medallists, fire, passion , emotion - sure they had technical issues - they were like extremely talented team who couldn't get it together one wonders if they had matured together technically, artistically and learned to control their nerves and performance if they would have been a dynasty team.

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Nicole Orford and Asher Hill.

:cry: :cry: :cry:

(dancers are pairs, no?)

Crossover

All Hail the Queen
Record Breaker
Imagine that

Denkova/Staviski without the career ending car incident before Vancouver,

Delobel/Schoenfelder without Isabel's family plan and Olivier's injuries during the Olympic season,

Domnina/Shablin without injuries during the Olympic season,

The Olympic event could've been a bloody field and podium finishers at Vancouver could've been dramatically different from what actually happened.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
Imagine that

Denkova/Staviski without the career ending car incident before Vancouver,

Delobel/Schoenfelder without Isabel's family plan and Olivier's injuries during the Olympic season,

The Olympic event could've been a bloody field and podium finishers at Vancouver could've been dramatically different from what actually happened.

So true then and maybe add Dubreil and Lauzon had they not retired or had that horrible mishap in Torino.

blue_idealist

Record Breaker
Khokhlova/Novitski, since he had to retire due to an injury. They probably wouldn't have become World champions, but they might have been able to get another world medal and she wouldn't have skated a season with Fedor Andreev... although I heard another option was Stagniunas, so I'm not sure why she picked Fedor over him.

sarama

Medalist
Samuelson/Bates: they were such a great match and I think they would have been amazing under Igor and Marina...too bad we never got to see that:gaah:

Moore-Towers/Moscovitch: I think they had so much more room for improvement and I would have loved to see it. Anyway Dylan with Lubov are so innovative that I'm not so bitter about this anymore

And definitely Delobel/Schoenfelder: seriously the moment they became AWESOME, every kind of obstacle got into their way. They were so much more than that 6th place at the Olympics and that :scratch2: FD.

I would have also added Virtue/Moir because despite their success I always felt they never quite expressed all their potential, hopefully in two years time I'll think differently

Last edited:

Weathergal

Medalist
Going back a ways, US ice dancers Jamie Slverstein and Justin Pekarek. They were loaded with potential and just starting to really get noticed before they stopped skating together. Jamie had health issues--I believe an eating disorder--and she wisely made getting well her priority. Sad that things didn't turn out differently for this dance couple but very glad that she is OK.

Giselle

Medalist
I can think of a lot of French Junior Ice Dance teams who had a lot of potential and ended up the same way, with the guy dumping the girl: Maureen Ibanez & Neil Brown, Terra Findlay & Benoit Richaud, Elektra Hetman & Benjamin Allain, Tiffany Zahorski et Alexis Miart...

Keauna McLaughlin and Rockne Brubaker : IMO they had everything to make it to the very top! It's a shame that she grew too tall for him and had to quit because of an eating disorder.

Maria Monko and Ilya Tkachenko : they were Samuelson & Bates's rivals as juniors IIRC and reminded me of a young Domnina & Shabalin (they had the same coach). I think she had to quit for health reasons?

Xiaoyu Yu & Yang Jin : :disapp:

mrrice

Record Breaker
Going back a ways, US ice dancers Jamie Slverstein and Justin Pekarek. They were loaded with potential and just starting to really get noticed before they stopped skating together. Jamie had health issues--I believe an eating disorder--and she wisely made getting well her priority. Sad that things didn't turn out differently for this dance couple but very glad that she is OK.

Jamie and Justin: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gubkQk74FdM

That's exactly the pair I was going to mention. They were spectacular Juniors and I was sad to see that they didn't continue together. However, as others have mentioned, Jamie had to take care of herself. It's funny to think that 10 years ago, The US was barely mentioned when speaking of Ice Dance.

You know who I haven't seen or heard from in a while are Haven Denny and Brandon Frazier. They were so exciting as Juniors and really looked to be making a move before Haven's injury. How are they doing?

Last edited:

mrrice

Record Breaker
This thread is to discuss about real pairs - not imaginary ones or concocted teams for dance or pairs - competed in dance or pairs but had so much potential but in your mind never quite reached that full potential.

I will start off by suggesting a few. In dance, Krylova and Oksianikov I believe would have had a very good shot of winning the 2002 OGM. Technically they were sharp, crisp, great lines, fast and theatrical. They skated a little cleaner than the French A and P. But injury knocked them out.

Usova and Zhulin also in dance in my opinion were a wonderful team in the vein of Klimova and Pomarenko - such wonderful ines and passion but for personal issues affected this team to the point that their strong point romantic and dramatic pieces were traded in for a puppet routine which while well done did not show case what they were best at However, this team had to wait its turn for K and P to finish their reign and by the time they were ready to really take over their marriage really affected their entire skating. Too bad because they could have been a real memorable dance team.

A squared will long be forgotten or may not even be remembered but buefore AP there was Anasinna and Averbuch. A squared combined the dramatic lead diva and a technically amazing male - some argue one of the best if not the best male ice dancer. Had love not got in the way - Avrted to skate with his love - no slouch herself at ice dancing who knows what would have happened.

Babilonia and Gardner in pairs are another pairing tht unfortunately due to his injury at the 1980 Olympics we will never know if they could have beaten the great Rodina and her partner Zaitzev. Tai and Randy had unique moves and throws back then and would be very interesting to compare with the Russians. But fate had it they never competed when they were both at the top.

Yamaguchi and Galindo are another team which while artistically may not have risen to the magic of Gordeeva and Grinkov but they technically had huge potential. It is understandable why Kristi would want to focus on their singles but they technically especially on the jumps which back then woud have given them a greater edge than today had huge potential and when they retired they already were so so very close to a world medal.

Okay I will add I and K and dance. Olympic bronze medallists, fire, passion , emotion - sure they had technical issues - they were like extremely talented team who couldn't get it together one wonders if they had matured together technically, artistically and learned to control their nerves and performance if they would have been a dynasty team.

When I think about Kristi and Rudy, I think they both should be happy with the final outcome of their breakup. Kristi went on to become World and Olympic Champion and Rudy saw his dreams come true in 1996 becoming National Champion in his home town. They are both Famous to this day and like Ashley and Adam, are very popular with the gay community. With Rudy and Kristi in the Bay Area and Ashley and Adam in Los Angeles.

Chemistry66

Mmmmm, tacos.
Record Breaker
I can think of a lot of French Junior Ice Dance teams who had a lot of potential and ended up the same way, with the guy dumping the girl: Maureen Ibanez & Neil Brown, Terra Findlay & Benoit Richaud, Elektra Hetman & Benjamin Allain, Tiffany Zahorski et Alexis Miart...

Keauna McLaughlin and Rockne Brubaker : IMO they had everything to make it to the very top! It's a shame that she grew too tall for him and had to quit because of an eating disorder.

Maria Monko and Ilya Tkachenko : they were Samuelson & Bates's rivals as juniors IIRC and reminded me of a young Domnina & Shabalin (they had the same coach). I think she had to quit for health reasons?

Xiaoyu Yu & Yang Jin : :disapp:

I don't recall Keauna having an eating disorder. Mary Beth Marley, Rockne's next partner, was the one who stepped away from skating to deal with one.

mrrice

Record Breaker
I don't recall Keauna having an eating disorder. Mary Beth Marley, Rockne's next partner, was the one who stepped away from skating to deal with one.

Speaking of Rockne, I wish someone would have convinced him to skate solo. I saw him skate with Mary Beth who was clearly very young. In fact...Too young, IMO. Following Keauna, I think he should have followed in Rudy's footsteps and gone solo.

slider11

Medalist

I must agree that Keauna and Rockne had a lot of potential. I never noticed that she she grew too tall for Rockne (did she have a growth spurt after the split?) I also don't remember the eating disorder. I do recall the devastating Nationals where they missed going to the Olympics. Guess the usfsa was not in the same mind-set as when they held Mirai back and appointed Ashley to the Olympic team. They had tremendous power and appeal. I just figured the huge disappointment of not going to the Olympics coupled with a personality clash split them up.

I also regret not being able to see Samuelson and Bates grow to their full potential. I think there was magic there.
'

blue_idealist

Record Breaker
I don't think Keauna McLaughlin had an eating disorder. I thought she just didn't want to skate anymore. She was a little tall for Rockne, though.

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia

So they could have offended even MORE people with that racist abomination of an original dance by winning with it?

Crossover

All Hail the Queen
Record Breaker
So they could have offended even MORE people with that racist abomination of an original dance by winning with it?

Typical. You can think the other way, positive one. They were reigning World champions, so expectations for them were high before Vancouver Olympics. Had they have more time to compete before Russian Nationals, they could've have time to check on how their infamous OD could be perceived by "international audiences". Because time was running out, they could've switched the country/folk dance themed OD to another one, probably recycling previous OD from 2007/08, which was Cossack dance.

noskates

Record Breaker
Okay, I'm a little confuzzled. Wickopedia says Rockne is 5'9" and Keauna was 4'11". Did she have a big growth spurt that I don't remember? I thought she was his best partner and their relative heights were pretty good. I sat next to him at Nationals a few years back while he watched his brother compete in Ice Dance. He is a very, very nice person. Really enjoyed talking to him. I believe it was Mariel Miller that he had the height challenges with.

I, too, thought Keauna quit because she didn't want to skate anymore. Never heard about an eating disorder.

Last edited:

lyverbird1

Final Flight

That was an ugly set up in every respect - costumes AND routine. They shouldn't have needed to check how it was being perceived by international audiences - common sense should have nixed the idea from the word go...